• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing Jolokias and Habaneros in the Philippines

plants looking good franz...stay on top if things...

This is a pepper plant that cropped up out of nowhere. At first when I saw it growing by our lanai area, I thought it was a weed. But after close inspection of what it was, I was seeing a pepper plant growing run under my nose! LOL.

308d5fa2.jpg

The beauty and bounty of nature. This was a pleasant surprise. There are a couple other pepper plants that popped up somewhere else in the garden, the help as mentioned. But this one is by far the healthiest, greenest and largest two. That's two plants by the way. Grew close together.

Too large to pull out now. Might as well leave it there. It probably grew from seeds that birds have eaten and crapped out the seed and then it luckily landed in our garden. Wonder what kinda pepper plant this is. It's got a bunch of flowers now. It's got huge leaves so this isn't the normal siling labuyo. I hope it's something awesome. We'll see in the days to come when the flowers form pods.

Here's another shot of these two bad boys:

f70dd22d.jpg

=D

First time seeing your thread franz. Very good. You got some nice varieties to grow. I wish you the best of luck with growing. From what ive seed so far everything looks awesome.
great stuff.

Yann

just wanted to share

here's pictures of my healthiest seedlings that have made it to their first transplant:

choco hab from ebay (this was before i was a member here and did not know of the perils of purchasing on ebay), morouga red from junglerain, goatsweed from novacastrian, jamaican gold from asiasgarden and naga morich from asiasgarden (free seeds from dave)

7265b504-1.jpg

thanks to all of those who have contributed to my cause, you all know who you are, there are a lot of you already. lol. =D

here's an odd development, i sowed pepper seeds a few days ago and two roots were coming out of this ONE seed.

here's a pic of it with a second root sticking out:

6c111493.jpg

here's another pic of the seed with the root fully in the soil and another seedling has successfully come out of it. how odd.

934f707d.jpg

That's the thing i have no clue! Lol.

It wasnt labelled. A booboo from me. Looks like we'll see when it gets big enough.

Well, somebody in the house just decided to bump into that big "labuyo" pepper (labuyo means wild in the northen dialect) that grew out of nowhere. Now it's half it's size and is still surviving. Damn people at home can't appreciate free freakin' pepper plants from nature. Sheesh.

Here it is after getting "topped off" by some unappreciative people in the house:

33d28021.jpg

I've been plagued with snails and ants sticking aphid eggs onto my plants lately. Sheesh. I hate this. This is why I don't wanna grow on the ground. So many variables to contend with.

Some plant damage:

my purple jal lost a couple leaves and has holes on a few others

e6569b1c.jpg

a mystery pepper that didn't look so well already and then got attacked by a swarm of snails

a3be5f59.jpg

my second butternut squash plant that had its stem eaten up

8bd84b82.jpg

here's my quick fix as it still hasn't wilted and might just live through the torture the snails had given it

f618057e.jpg

i used a thick plastic straw that I had lying around, cut it open then stuck the eaten up stem in between to keep the squash upright. should be ok for now, til it decides to get larger and gets too big for my fix

here is half of the culprits in my garden, the other half i have already thrown out by the side of the road to fend for themselves and get roasted in the tropical heat.

43adc722.jpg

I also had lost a serrano plant, damn it all. LOL. Good thing I grew extras. If it were something more valuable like a 7pot, I'd have to do more drastic measures to keep these damn pests out of my plants.

testing out my video cam, has a photo capture feature and has flash. seems to be better than my crappy iphone's camera.

my latest additions into my pepper family:

DVC00828.jpg

DVC00829.jpg

a few more random plants that have made it into their first transplant cups:

DVC00830.jpg

DVC00831.jpg

more transplants in cups:

DVC00833.jpg

DVC00827.jpg

some tomatoes, seeds from nova. Thanks Scott!

DVC00832.jpg

some of my slightly larger pepper plants that have been ravaged by snails, ants, the weather and my stupidity....

DVC00834.jpg

that sad looking eggplant just needed water. =D

here's my first stab at aerated compost tea:

DVC00844.jpg

my super complicated ingredients are:

fish emulsion, compost, powdered baby formula, used coffee grounds, brown sugar (can't find blackstrap molasses), and a liquid compost spray solution.

what's needed: air pump, air stone, hose, a tub or bucket, water, and some time.

how to do it: fix 'em all together, about a handful of compost, a handful of used coffee grounds, a spoonful of brown sugar, a couple spoonfuls of baby formula, a spoonful of the compost spray and fish emulsion.... and you leave it overnight. just watered my plants with it today. get it on the leaves and on the soil. don't have to use a lot of it. i've heard using it once a week will give you really super results.

first try at it. if it works then awesome. if not, nothing lost. just a couple hundred bucks for an airpump and the other aQuarium stuff.

no matter i can use that for my next mad scientist experiment on germination.

my reasonings on what i put into the aerated compost tea:

aeration - really important as it seems in activating nutrients and easier absorption of the plants. wakes up the beneficial bacteria in the tea and in the soil once applied to it. makes the bacteria and whatever else in there replicate faster and happier.

brown sugar - since i can't find blackstrap molasses as they are way better than using regular sugar, this is what i opted for. sugar is what bacteria feeds on. so another plus for that. blackstrap molasses should have more nutrients and has some sulfur in it which makes this mix slightly acidic. a slightly acidic medium would help breakdown the nutrients for also better absorption.

used coffee grounds - it's free, it's reusable and very great for soil. it's got NPK in low levels and at the same time it's organic. it's also got a lot of micronutrients that most regular fertilizers seem to neglect.

baby formula - why not? =D it's not that you're gonna use a lot of it. i would like to treat plants like people, in ways of nutrition. if you feed it the most complete stuff then you get the best plant. plants need calcium. people need calcium. feed it calcium. lol. as most of my plants are mostly nightshades, calcium is a big part of the equation in keeping out the notorious BER (blossom end rot). eventually i'm gonna plant broccoli (thanks ichigo!) and other calcium rich foods and how do plants get this calcium anyway? they get it from the soil. so if you feed it calcium, you get calcium what you eat it. a sound conclusion, at least i think so.

the fish emulsion and foliar compost spray - i've read some people mix this in their compost teas also. whatever i forgot to mix in with my formula of compost tea, this should cover everything else. it's got all the beneficial bacteria the plants will need to be healthy and to ward off diseases and infections. the foliar compost spray has enzymes and whatever (it says so on the bottle) to help grow the plants bigger, faster, and fruit more. who wants more fruit? I DO! =D

so far with all my experiments with my plants i haven't severely killed anything yet. I do have one tomato plant that's on its last leaves. probably from overwatering during the non-stop rains during the past couple of weeks, i know bad soil mix, doesn't drain well. my custom soil mix is actually formulated for dry weather conditions. i don't even water a lot, just a few splashes and my plants are happy with it. my soil is ALWAYS damp because of what i put in it. silica. silica helps proper distribution of nitrogen from what i've read. so it helps plants grow better. silica also retains water. so it helps me save water. doesn't really help much when it's the rainy season. keeps your soil overly wet. yellows out your plants. sucks butt. helped me out during may thru july though.

comments and suggestions are welcome! thanks everyone.

well after using the compost tea i cooked up, i got instant results! as in instant!

the soil softened up real well, nice and fluffy too. the plants grew quite a bit in a short time. they still look as green as they were before but that's coz i've been feeding them the same stuff only in an "active" form.

i'm seeing larger and leaves on my plants. my tomato plants are branching out, which they didn't do yet. was waiting for that. the peppers still look the same, but then they're slow growers. will start repotting the larger pepper plants into 4 inch pots. soil is expensive. blah. =(

lol

will reapply probably on friday.... even got a peach habanero starting to germinate. only sowed that 2 days ago. watered it with compost tea and it's about to come up. sweet!

plants are looking good.

Back