• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's 2013

It begins with a tray...

8529680870_ff959399bf.jpg

So The early signs are what ???  Positive or Negative??  You should still have a lot of Microbial activity from past years just in a reduced function and number??

Trippa said:
So The early signs are what ???  Positive or Negative??  You should still have a lot of Microbial activity from past years just in a reduced function and number??
Well...they've been overwatered like a mofo with all this rain. Small, slow growing, and not the DARKEST green ever BUT still very healthy. Infact, they fended off the aphids much better than the patio plants early on and even looked better that the patio plants! But you can't keep the patio jungle at bay for long. Once the roots got going they surpassed the hell out of the garden plot. Im just now starting to get pods on the garden plants. The cool thing is, even before all this monsoon weather, I never watered them once. The mulching at the base of each plant keeps things nice and moist.  The soil isn't lifeless by any means now in the garden plot, its just that the roots can't rocket through the clay the way they could when everything was mounded up in rows. The raised rows also helped with overwatering. Things will be fine. I just don't want to show them off yet :) Besides, they don't even compare to the container plants...Infact I heard the Yellow 7 making fun of the garden 7's. Had to break up a big fight and explain to them that this is all a team effort here. Interestingly enough the hop bines are great mediators! They were very helpful throughout the entire ordeal. ;)

Really like your approach to the 'experiment' and with the way you roll I'm pretty sure it will come out finest kind.  

Hope the mediators can find time to themselves and put out enough growth to use come fall time in some good home brew.  My pops keeps trying to give me all his brewing stuff but with a little one coming home any day I don't know how I'll find the time.  Guess I can stick in the shed till the time is right.

Pepper-Guru said:
Its a great hobby to pick up! Only takes a few hours to brew! You can do it while reading nursury ryhmes to the new family member!

They are in the cannabis family tree :)

Roger that. We used to brew all the time together, beer and wine, but as life got busy we haven't done it in many years.  Pretty sure him and buddy had a still but they didn't include me on those trips. I for sure want get it going again, just too many irons in the fire as of now.  

Pepper-Guru said:
Rooster Spur. Much better flavor than most asian annums. Floral, zesty aroma backs up the traditional annum heat. Three foot tall, bushy plants. Thousands of pods in a season. Easy to pick despite the prolific nature of production. Deep red, three inch long, slender pods with a slight curve at the end. Stand straight up in tight, 10-15 pod clusters.  From each cluster shoots the main growth tip to form another cluster later on up the stem. Could make great hanging baskets honestly. Some family has grown them for over a century here in the south to make their "rooster sausage". If the ppork they use is as nearly as good as the peppers, then Im sure the sausage is GREAT. There are many things on the internet sold as Rooster Spur, mainly shorter fatter, non cluster pods....needless to say...that isn't them. If they don't look like these...they aren't the real deal. I obtained these from a guru of mine, Hoyt Saxton, about 15 years ago.

Rooster Spur

9341412305_369d9d3ca0_b.jpg
Great description of the rooster spur - I agree with Trippa, I read your description and want to grow them.

As I am wrestling with the impossible chore of keeping my grow list under control for next year, I'm wondering if these could help me. Rooster Spurs are used in Sriracha, right? I've used some Thai's for that, but could switch to rooster spurs and cut my two thai varieties I have grown. I think they could also replace some others, like cayennes. They sound like a pretty multi-functional pepper? Anyway, got me thinking. Love the updates - plants look beautiful!

Actually, Sriracha is red ripe, sun dried Jalepenos that are ground with other ingredients and fermented. There is a rooster on the front, but no relation or indication of Rooster Spurs. They are def a multifunctional pepper. Thanks for stopping in man!

Pepper-Guru said:
Um...yep...Whats with the giant pods this year? 7 pot Congo...

9353190394_4888fc295e_b.jpg

Just around 26 grams...

...or you just got girlish little hands ... didnt see much hair, either  :D

j/k - things a great as we have come to know from you

cheers, Al

Dude thats one killer pod you got there Guru... Better have a Cold one on hand when you give that bad boy a try...

Back