• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's 2013

It begins with a tray...

8529680870_ff959399bf.jpg

Pepper-Guru said:
mostly, its a survival of the fittest when i do it like this. which ever seedling is the first to pop or most vigorous, is the one that lives. i am keeping a few of the twins though, because someone in the area needs some. i just gently tease apart the roots, and transplant into another container. if youre careful, its not that hard :)
I know this quote is from and older post in this thread, and by now it doesnt matter, but I am curious what you might think about this:

I was reading one day about breeding, and the author brought up the idea that by selecting the most vigorous (or possibly the first to pop) seedlings, you may inadvertantly be selecting an accidental cross. if you are trying to germ a plant that is open-pollinated and inbred, the true-breeding seeds may not grow as fast.

What do you think?

Thanks!

and good growing

mushroombob

I would say there may be some validity to that if I were sowing many seeds of the same variety and there was a very obvious difference in germ rates amongst those seeds. I only sowed four cells of each though and went double seed on only some. Either way all the seeds ended up being somewhere in the garden regardless. So if there are crosses Ill know it. Also, if you have good vision and appreciate small details, even seedlings will show differences in leaves, structure etc so unusual characteristics even at such an early stage could be indictitive of possible crosses. :)

Back