• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's 2013

It begins with a tray...

8529680870_ff959399bf.jpg

Awesome stuff Rich.  Those guys you just "tossed" in the dirt are producing well also.  Any chance we can get better shots of those?  I cannot even comment on the patio without... damn.

After looking at your update, you can picture me as Curly from the three stooges after he "smells the cheese".....

Those Indian Carbons are beautiful. The FSB's areinteresting looking pods. Everything is spot on as usual PG.

Those are so bad-ass! Remember, today Aug 1st is IPA Day. Get some Sculpin Habanero if you can find it locally. We have a Rye IPA we will be running through a Randal of Red Savina Habs next Saturday at a Beer Fest. Cheers!

Rich, I love the way those patio plants are squared off in all three dimensions....Like legionnaires of Rome standing shoulder-to-shoulder, impenetrable, their hulking strength only to be imagined, except by the damned fool Gauls who would dare throw themselves against them.... :cool: (That image courtesy of the opening minutes of Episode One, Season One of HBO's "Rome." One of the all-time greatest moments in television... :P )

The Yellow 7 from Hippy is the variety I seem to reach for in the garden more than any other, and the plants are just so damned robust and productive....That one you carried to the restaurant was a chunk!

Since you leveled your mounded rows, are you finished with in-ground, or did I miss that discussion?

I salute your grow...Respect!

Spicegeist said:
Wow!  Look at those plants, unbelievable!  You must get some nice sun there...

They get the full force of our star from 7am and the house's shadow starts hitting the plants closest to the doors around 4-5pm. The plants furthest east don't end up shaded until around 6-7pm. 
millworkman said:
Awesome stuff Rich.  Those guys you just "tossed" in the dirt are producing well also.  Any chance we can get better shots of those?  I cannot even comment on the patio without... damn.

Ill start posting some more pics of them now that there is something to look at! lol 
3/5King said:
After looking at your update, you can picture me as Curly from the three stooges after he "smells the cheese".....

Those Indian Carbons are beautiful. The FSB's areinteresting looking pods. Everything is spot on as usual PG.

Thank you sir!
Seacowboy said:
Awesome poddage and the growth on the patio is amazing. Again raising the bar, very high....
I don't deserve the credit, the mircrobes do! :)

Trippa said:
Indian Carbons look suitably impressive .... Patio to match . aces!!

They are pretty awesome. They don't have that typical bright, organge/yellow inside thin type of skin or too much of that cheesy Bhut taste Im used to, but they are good! Whats the lineage on those?
ronniedeb said:
Great Photos Guru. Must be difficult to move between the plants on the patio.

I have to crawl just about!
wahlee76 said:
Great update as usual, are you sure you don't use photoshop to add extra color to your pods? They almost look too good to be true :P
This iphone does color the images a bit, but for the most part, the colors are extremely vibrant this year! 

Pr0digal_son said:
Patio is RAGING! Rooster spur is a great looking plant,damn. That one is going on next years list.
Its awesome. I got seeds if you want em. 

Jobu said:
Those are so bad-ass! Remember, today Aug 1st is IPA Day. Get some Sculpin Habanero if you can find it locally. We have a Rye IPA we will be running through a Randal of Red Savina Habs next Saturday at a Beer Fest. Cheers!
Indeed. Love IPA day. I tapped my kegs and enjoyed the fruits of our imagination yesterday. And also enjoyed a nice bottle of Diddler by Merkin Vineyards. MJK is killing it in the wine scene. 

windchicken said:
Rich, I love the way those patio plants are squared off in all three dimensions....Like legionnaires of Rome standing shoulder-to-shoulder, impenetrable, their hulking strength only to be imagined, except by the damned fool Gauls who would dare throw themselves against them.... :cool: (That image courtesy of the opening minutes of Episode One, Season One of HBO's "Rome." One of the all-time greatest moments in television... :P )

The Yellow 7 from Hippy is the variety I seem to reach for in the garden more than any other, and the plants are just so damned robust and productive....That one you carried to the restaurant was a chunk!

Since you leveled your mounded rows, are you finished with in-ground, or did I miss that discussion?

I salute your grow...Respect!
They are the eternal protectors of my basement entry! Whats the yellow 7 lineage? I will be moving the garden space up on the hill where the chicken coop is. I wanted my back yard and grass back! lol Thinking of getting a pool as well. 

millworkman said:
Those guys you just "tossed" in the dirt are producing well also.  Any chance we can get better shots of those? 
Here are some shots. Remember, I simply transplanted these into the compacted clay, laid some mulch and walked away. Never even watered them so far. I have a feeling they are just now starting to try and grow. 

Some original Bhut Jolokias from the Assam region. Seed from the mother I kept alive for 7yrs. 

9425324222_7699f2f9cb_b.jpg

9425325300_54137a4153_b.jpg

For the most part, nearly all of the plants look about like this ( 2-3 ft tall and average looking )

9422559623_bccbc59e17_b.jpg

9425327522_8e080efd6d_b.jpg

9422562261_48f9c00f97_b.jpg

Some have seen pruning thanks to the deer and bunnies

9425329878_d074508259_b.jpg

Rooster Spur, small but loaded! HAHA!

9422564593_e5e4c201ce_b.jpg

Can I get a bump up in here!? 

Praetermissum Flowers (really enjoy the wild types and watching them grow)

9422565587_571e0a3af6_b.jpg

Check this Praetermissum out...deer love the leaves on this one. 

9425335358_f90aae319d_b.jpg

Sebastian 

9422566667_87dc4d5aa4_b.jpg

Birgit Locoto

9425334240_1c95d43ff8_b.jpg

9422571391_6071c47898_b.jpg

Gold Bullets

9422570249_8a8d79da7c_b.jpg

They are all starting to put out pods now, so this will only add to my harvests from the patio and give me more options to choose from come late fall when the chop goes into full swing and I start selecting mothers/overwinters. 

Such a big difference in the dirt versus the containers!

Mine is just the opposite, dirt plants are growing way better.

Those patio plants are mas killa!

Yeah, I've been adding literally tons of homemade compost to the soil, a sandy base. I would say over 24 yds in the last three years, I need to add more black gumbo this fall. I fixed up some clay soil years ago and it was easier, because my work stayed there. In the sand it seems to go down after a while.

I can say this, your soil mix has to be fantastic to generate so much performance, and of course the large containers don't hurt either!

I went for the same thing, rapid growth, then it hit 100 every day. Tells me to start earlier and mulch...

1st year for me with growing hot peppers..I'll get there..

Back