• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Guru's Garden - Traveling the World in Search of Peppers

Just starting this glog now so it's one less thing to do in a few months when I'm knee deep in compost and getting things in the ground.

Not much to report at the moment. Strains yet to be determined, but I'll probably end up growing too many like always...lol

Only thing that's going on right now is a clean back patio and the chickens doing their part turning over my compost pile on the daily. Intersted in seeing how the soil microbes appreciate the added chicken poop!

12160459874_edc8a4473f_b.jpg

12160725676_2031da1016_b.jpg

Hope everyone has had a decent winter so far and here's to happy germination!

12161422126_10d10e2e41_z.jpg

EDIT UPDATE: This glog has turned into an ongoing overwintering, greenhouse and soil building how-to!

Mr.joe said:
200 for next year then I imagine

Haha, God please no. Someone better stop me. It really is too much for a season.

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
Plant rows look good, I know the feeling. I said 10 varieties this year and 40 later I’m still eyeballing varieties  :shh:

the real problem is that there are too many varieties out there  :onfire:  :liar:

Remember when there wasn’t though? Ha

Walchit said:
I have 15 cultivars 30 plants this year, I need to get the garden done, I'm slacking big time
Hey dude, resend your fb group join request for gcc. Tried ping you. Full!

Some shots from today :)

First up, Mini Olive Rocoto: 

50027669086_a7a02f49df_b.jpg

50027668781_d84ebaa3e8_b.jpg

50027931417_8ca33b9b7d_b.jpg

50027129388_0174821f68_b.jpg

50027129103_c73a5f8e19_b.jpg

Next up a "purple flowered chacoense" that seems to certainly have some bacatum in it no?

50027157063_27feb66e98_b.jpg

Next up is CGN 19198

50027130333_e14b21059e_b.jpg

50027667736_6e89662acc_b.jpg

50027932392_b45fc44275_b.jpg

Next is CAP 1530

50027930482_7c746bdb60_b.jpg

Next is CAP 502

50027128388_cce7d13914_b.jpg

Finally some mystery solanum :)

50027130783_435e1c7a17_b.jpg

50027128158_e2daf9f385_b.jpg

50027666871_3bb8f546de_b.jpg

That's all for today. Just a few quick shots from my morning inspections. I hope everyone's season is going well! 

RPM55 said:
Awesome photos like usual. What does that olive rocoto taste like? I need to try my hand at growing some of those, I bet it could rival the orange manzano I grew!

I hope everyone is doing well up your way. 
Hey! I have some of your manzano still going! 

These mini olives literally taste like spicy kiwi, no lie. 

Once you taste them, you'll love them. 

RPM55 said:
Where did you get the seeds for the mini olive? I would like to get some.
I ordered some from Welsh Dragon Chili last fall but I managed to kill the only plant I grew (died of dehydratation, was hidden behind my other plants...). Still have seeds for next year though, fortunately!

Mildfruit said:
I agree, and the taste sounds delicious! 

"mystery solanum"
Which country did you find that one in? 

Top quality post btw! 

With the help of a good friend and long time member here, Prodigal Son, he identified it as Solanum abutiloids and as usual, he was right on the money. 

RPM55 said:
Where did you get the seeds for the mini olive? I would like to get some.

RPM55 said:

I saw those online. I didn't know if I would have problems getting them shipped to the US.

Yeah! Chris Fowler always makes sure things arrive. I filled my cart up with all his offerings and wasn't disappointed when my package arrived. Got a sweet extra terrestrial bonus gift too! 

The single one vendor purchase I've made other than for the growdowns sometimes. Highly recommended. 

Pepper-Guru said:

Yeah! Chris Fowler always makes sure things arrive. I filled my cart up with all his offerings and wasn't disappointed when my package arrived. Got a sweet extra terrestrial bonus gift too! 

The single one vendor purchase I've made other than for the growdowns sometimes. Highly recommended. 

Ok Rich, I'll trust your judgement on this. I just ordered some seeds. I can't wait to try and grow some mini olive rocotos!!!

Thanks

A bit of a disaster that morning on the pepper farm. Generally {in smaller containers} the branches have enough time to reach the cage for support and that tends to mitigate splitting at the base. These 202 gallon/765 liter containers are so wide that the quickly growing branches didn't have enough time to reach them. So, a quick fix with bambo, twine and tape has seemed to hold for now and no wilting in those branches. Soon they will reach the support of the cage and I won't have to monitor so closely. Fatalii is back! Real original Fatalii from my garden in the early 2000's. I sent these seeds to a close friend here and long time seed storage guru back in 2005. He was able to send those back to me this year in the original package. Germination went very well. I can't wait to taste that flavor again. The original Fatalii from the Congo? was very special. It had such a unique flavor that lasted with you all day long. Even in burps, there was something refreshing about burping the entire day with "fatalii burps" ... The fruit I remember vibrant, true yellow, with every slight color shift to the warmer yellow towards the end of the season on the outer most wrinkles in fruit surfaces. The shape almost always dead straight and either three to four lobes running the entire surface of the fruit from calyx to fruit tip. Almost reminiscent of the 3/4 lobe grading scale for true Jamaican MOA scotch bonnets I've read about. I vaguely remember reading something so many years ago about perhaps a translation in name of "tiger's tooth"? Maybe I dreamed that. 

Anyhow, since those early 2000's I haven't seen many examples of the real deal, the original, so I am forever grateful to be able to look up to people with much more stringent seed storing methods than I. I am thankful for them very much. Learning every day. 

https://youtu.be/eyr_WYaFfpE

Back