• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Heavy Metal Thread......list your faves

Hatebreed is good stuff.

my favorite concert was Sentenced, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, and Killswitch Engage. Small club in Detroit, got to drink all night with the bands. A night to remember! (or not remember actually)

GWAR also puts on one killer show.....if you're into being soaked with fake blood. Good times.

Ballzworth said:
GWAR also puts on one killer show.....if you're into being soaked with fake blood. Good times.

Here's a funny story about Gwar from back in the day. Gwar managed to piss off almost all the skinheads from the tri-state area in less than an hour back in 89 at the club City Gardens(shitty garbage). We all showed up for hardcore night but Gwar was booked at the last minute that night and there was no notice whatsoever. So we all hung out and watched the show but suddenly some chick with the band with these huge fake tits(literally about 4 feet long) came out on stage and interrupted the band. So Beefcake the mighty pulls out this giant sword and cuts her fake tits off, and she stands there screaming and spraying fake blood all over the whole crowed's nice new white Fred Perry shirts. Needless to say there was a lynch mob waiting by their tour bus after that. Luckily for me i wasn't in the pit at the time so my shirt didn't get ruined.

chillilover said:
Hey badger.....best concert ever I saw.....Motorhead, Dio and Maiden. It rocked.

All three together? That's seriously cool! Dave Murray once stood on my foot at the Monsters of Rock festival. He had the decency to appologise though. Saw Black Sabbath when Dio was the singer - for a small guy he's got a huge voice!

Badger said:
All three together? That's seriously cool! Dave Murray once stood on my foot at the Monsters of Rock festival. He had the decency to appologise though. Saw Black Sabbath when Dio was the singer - for a small guy he's got a huge voice!

Dio does have an amazing voice.....I went to see Maiden mainly but dio had the best sound. His voice was the loudest in the mix and could be easily heard. Thay also weren't crazy loud so it sounded better. I saw him with Heaven and Hell too. I met Janik Gers at a mall in Toronto before a concert. He was walking around by himself. I would have rather met any of the others though.....

oh if it's a who have you met game!!! i met marty fieldman (megadeth) in coburn street in edinburgh on the day of the clash of the titans gig, got ticket signed and apperently we were the only folk that he met that day that spoke english!!!! lots of japanese tourist in town that day!!!

I grew up in the SF Bay Area and was in a band at the heyday of the Metal Movement here. I got to play with the likes of Exodus, Suicidal Tendencies, DRI, Death Angel, Sacriledge BC etc... We even got to play before Judas Priest at the Foundations Industry Music convention one year! I met Lemmy at the Keystone Berkeley in like 1982! It was my second year of High School and I met Lemmy! He was just playing pool and I walked up and just started talking to him. Good times! I feel spoiled living where I live!

Favorite Metal bands(there's also some Hardcore in this): Motorhead, Discharge, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath(both Ozzy and Dio), Iron Maiden, Diamond Head, Budgie, Scorpions, UFO, Destruction, GBH, English Dogs, Gallows, Exodus, Anvil, Witchfinder General, Pentagram, Holocaust, Aragorn, BGK, Tu-Do Hospital, Inferno, DRI and even Man-O-War! That's just a few.

I'm going to see the band Old Grandad Sunday in SF, so if anyone wants to go, let me know.

chillilover said:
Hey badger.....best concert ever I saw.....Motorhead, Dio and Maiden. It rocked.

Would have enjoyed that for sure.

I'm out of the loop on most of these newer bands. Am familiar with all the old 80's ones which I tend to be called hair metal now. Listened to a lot of the basics growing up like Metallica (Kill em All and Ride the Lightning were staples) and Slayer. Have to own up to Def Leppard and Guns and Roses and stuff like that. I find myself listening to and liking stuff now on the hair metal station on sat radio that I really didn't like then but kinda dig now cause it takes me back to the days when life was simpler. Like Whitesnake or something. Not really heavy though.

What's System of a Down and Marilyn Manson's "official" genres? Both are commercial compared to most of your guys' tastes, but I've always liked and seen both multiple times. Manson got a little artsy fartsy at the end, but System would still be good I think if they started up again. They're the group I've gone out to see the most.

Ballzworth said:
I may be a tool but I could never get into them. Trivium on the other hand...I'm loving their newest album.

Speaking of Aussie Metal, I love "I Killed The Prom Queen" (with Michael Crafter of course)!!

Great to see Trivium are getting heard overseas.
I know the name I killed the prom queen and i'm sure i have heard thier songs before, but must be getting OLD and just can't remember what they were like DOH! Are they still around? Might have to track some songs and have a listen.

scarpetti said:
I grew up in the SF Bay Area and was in a band at the heyday of the Metal Movement here. I got to play with the likes of Exodus, Suicidal Tendencies, DRI, Death Angel, Sacriledge BC etc... We even got to play before Judas Priest at the Foundations Industry Music convention one year! I met Lemmy at the Keystone Berkeley in like 1982! It was my second year of High School and I met Lemmy! He was just playing pool and I walked up and just started talking to him. Good times! I feel spoiled living where I live!

Sweet Dude! Man i am envious.
They were the days hey, thrashing around and not caring!

Anyway heres my list of some of faves -

Faith No More
Old Sabbath
Old Metallica
Cradle Of Filth
Pantera
Sepultura / Soulfly
Trivium
Fear Factory

And a bit off topic, the worst band I have ever seen play was Pungent Stench. Man they were aweful(sorry to any fans out there). Such a bad performance that a riot started outside the venue with police in riot gear and the band ended up hiding in thier room(could see them hiding). Now that was fun to watch the police trying to break up a disgruntled group of Metal Heads!

Micca

boutros said:
Would have enjoyed that for sure.

I'm out of the loop on most of these newer bands. Am familiar with all the old 80's ones which I tend to be called hair metal now. Listened to a lot of the basics growing up like Metallica (Kill em All and Ride the Lightning were staples) and Slayer. Have to own up to Def Leppard and Guns and Roses and stuff like that. I find myself listening to and liking stuff now on the hair metal station on sat radio that I really didn't like then but kinda dig now cause it takes me back to the days when life was simpler. Like Whitesnake or something. Not really heavy though.

What's System of a Down and Marilyn Manson's "official" genres? Both are commercial compared to most of your guys' tastes, but I've always liked and seen both multiple times. Manson got a little artsy fartsy at the end, but System would still be good I think if they started up again. They're the group I've gone out to see the most.

My wife and 10 year old daughter are at Def Leppard right now! On a school night even! Now that's fricken METAL!

Micca302 said:
Great to see Trivium are getting heard overseas.
I know the name I killed the prom queen and i'm sure i have heard thier songs before, but must be getting OLD and just can't remember what they were like DOH! Are they still around? Might have to track some songs and have a listen.

Sweet Dude! Man i am envious.
They were the days hey, thrashing around and not caring!

Anyway heres my list of some of faves -

Faith No More
Old Sabbath
Old Metallica
Cradle Of Filth
Pantera
Sepultura / Soulfly
Trivium
Fear Factory

And a bit off topic, the worst band I have ever seen play was Pungent Stench. Man they were aweful(sorry to any fans out there). Such a bad performance that a riot started outside the venue with police in riot gear and the band ended up hiding in thier room(could see them hiding). Now that was fun to watch the police trying to break up a disgruntled group of Metal Heads!

Micca

I just looked up Pugent Stench on Youtube. Maybe it was the Cookie Monster on Meth vocals and poka-dot shirts that did them in!

scarpetti said:
My wife and 10 year old daughter are at Def Leppard right now! On a school night even! Now that's fricken METAL!

That's pretty sweet, good for them ! Missed that post on growing up somehow. I'll bet the 80's were unbelievable up there!

Boutros, most of it's all a blur to me. Too much going on at the same time back then. If you've ever heard of Ruthie's Inn in Berkeley, that's what I was part of. Look it up. And I'm now pissed cause I totally forgot AC/DC were playing in San Jose tonight!!!

Micca302 said:
I know the name I killed the prom queen and i'm sure i have heard thier songs before, but must be getting OLD and just can't remember what they were like DOH! Are they still around?

They aren't still around. Their singer was on Australian Big Brother last summer and left the show because their final "re-union" tour was about to start. A final farewell kinda thing so they're done now. It's pretty heavy stuff. Kind of that Deathcore kinda style I guess.

And Pungent Stench. I used to kind of listen to them in the 90's. They always had some gruesome album covers. Never really liked them too much though.

I just got the new Megadeth album "Endgame". Only listened to it once. Still not sure what to think. I guess it's kind of along the lines of their past few albums with a bit of that old school Peace Sells kinda speed riff feel to it. I've always thought Mustaine is one of the best voices in Metal.

Yeah, Mustaine is a good singer. If you really listen to the way they compose their riffs, they're one of the most technically brilliant bands too.

One of the best voices in Metal?:rolleyes: I am not the biggest fan of Mustaine's vocals but i must agree about Megadeth's technical brilliancy:-)

scarpetti said:
I grew up in the SF Bay Area and was in a band at the heyday of the Metal Movement here. I got to play with the likes of Exodus, Suicidal Tendencies, DRI...
WOW!!!:shocked: i'd eat a bucket of NAGAS to be able to do that:lol:

Back