• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Heavy Metal Thread......list your faves

scarpetti said:
I just looked up Pugent Stench on Youtube. Maybe it was the Cookie Monster on Meth vocals and poka-dot shirts that did them in!

Yeah, they made more headlines for their sick album covers like Ballzworth said than their singing ability.

Ballzworth said:
They aren't still around. Their singer was on Australian Big Brother last summer and left the show because their final "re-union" tour was about to start. A final farewell kinda thing so they're done now. It's pretty heavy stuff. Kind of that Deathcore kinda style I guess.

And Pungent Stench. I used to kind of listen to them in the 90's. They always had some gruesome album covers. Never really liked them too much though.

I just got the new Megadeth album "Endgame". Only listened to it once. Still not sure what to think. I guess it's kind of along the lines of their past few albums with a bit of that old school Peace Sells kinda speed riff feel to it. I've always thought Mustaine is one of the best voices in Metal.

Cool, used to listen to a bit of Deathmetal but tend to have soften up a bit now.

Hey I was going to ask about the new Megadeath album. Was wandering what it was going to be like?
He definately has one of the best voices in metal. I'm glad Metallica kicked him out in the early years or we might not have seen Megadeath form.
Talking about good voices, i'm also a fan of Chris Cornell. Love soundgarden.

Micca

Chris Cornell is one of my favourite singers - good songwriter too. Superunknown is one of my fave albums, seriously dark stuff.

Micca302 said:
Hey I was going to ask about the new Megadeath album. Was wandering what it was going to be like?
He definately has one of the best voices in metal. I'm glad Metallica kicked him out in the early years or we might not have seen Megadeath form.Micca

Agreed with the Metallica comment!

The new Megadeth is kinda like their last few. Incorporates a lot of those "Peace Cells" sounding quick guitar riffs, A LOT of guitar solos like Rust in Peace, and some mid paced melodic stuff like the later years. Some of it is really catchy and growing on me a lot.

It's definitely a Megadeth album. No real major surprises. If you liked their last 2 albums and guitar solos you should like it.

Band splits sure can be beneficial. Metallica - prime example. If Hawkwind hadn't sacked Lemmy we might not have Motorhead (try imagining that!). If Pantera hadn't split we might not have Down. Then again if some c**t hadn't shot Dimebag Daryl we'd still have one of the best guitarists ever.

Badger said:
Band splits sure can be beneficial. Metallica - prime example. If Hawkwind hadn't sacked Lemmy we might not have Motorhead (try imagining that!). If Pantera hadn't split we might not have Down. Then again if some c**t hadn't shot Dimebag Daryl we'd still have one of the best guitarists ever.

It's amazing how things turn out sometimes.

Just looked up the Aussie release date for Mindgame(11 Sept) and realized that Megadeth/Slayer are doing an Aussie tour including Perth which never happens! They usually miss us, something about being too far to go:(.

Micca

I know australia is a bit of a trip for most bands, but it's good to hear that so many of them try to include a tour down there. Megadeth is always cool to see live...that was my first concert, Megadeth and Suicidal Tendencies back in 93ish. Can't wait for new Suicidal either.

(I think you meant Endgame, not Mindgame).

Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Pantera, Dio, Megadeth, DevilDriver, Five Finger Death Punch, In This Moment, Iced Earth, Slayer, Amon Amarth, Sepultura and MANY, MANY others...

Omri...excellent list. Nice to see a fellow Devildriver fan and also to see something like Amon Amarth on there. Killer stuff!

Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Pantera, Slayer, Soundgarden, Korn, AC/DC, Metalica...and my mind just went blank on the others...lol

I like alot of what most of you mentioned plus more, but when you say metal thats a little vague &/or you guys are considering some music as metal vs hard rock/glam rock/gothic metal/etc...

as for metallica...anything after "justice.." they suck!!!

chilehunter said:
I like alot of what most of you mentioned plus more, but when you say metal thats a little vague &/or you guys are considering some music as metal vs hard rock/glam rock/gothic metal/etc...

as for metallica...anything after "justice.." they suck!!!

Yeah I can see a lot of bands mentioned that are more alternative/hard rock, but ultimately they're being mentioned alongside metal and have a tendency to go hand in hand at times. I guess anything "hard" has been the focus here. At least no Rick Astley or Kings of Leon have been brought up right??

rick-astley.jpg

One thing I haven't heard too much of is Death Metal. No Death Metal fans out there?

I agree with your Metallica statement as well. Do you not like Death magnetic though?

I'm glad Death got better over the years. I had their demo tape back in the early eighties and they were terrible. The singing was really just wordless growling and the drummer sounded like he was playing metal biscuit barrels. I still like death-metal - as long as you can make out the words. Screaming and growling pisses me off. Sodom and Bathory were doing that 25 years ago and it was silly then.

captainpepper....that's what I'm looking for! Entombed and Bolt Thrower are amazing. Seems like alot of more current melodic European metal bands started out Death Metal in the early 90's and ended up playing very different music (Katatonia, Tiamat, Anathema, Paradise Lost etc etc.) I like to see bands progress like that. On the other hand you have the "Florida Scene" with Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Obituary and they're still writing the same album over and over after 20 years. I stil love em, but still....they need to expand a bit.

black metal I feel pretty much the same about. Although a few bands I really like: Satyricon, Dimmu Borgir (if you want to call them black metal), the odd Darkthrone song and that's pretty much it.

Doom/stoner/sludge metal with an emphasis on melodies and comprehensible lyrics/vocals is something i can relate to much more:)
I'm more of a thrash/hardcore fan myself:cool:...if there are any other new bands that sound like this i'm definitely interested though???

Back