• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hottest Chilli in the World Being Grown in Grantham, Lins (UK)

It looks quite a bit like the 7 brain strain to me, maybe not quite as wrinkly. I do know one thing for sure, you will not catch me popping a whole one into my mouth. That didn't look like fun.

Until Guinness's calls it the new record holder it's just another 7 for now.

Good luck with your plant Toleman, you'll have to try one and let us know.

A guiness record doesn't mean too much to me, look at all the flaws in the past: Siling labuyo, red savina etc. There are lots of peppers these days probably hotter than a bhut but there is more criteria needed to be given a record than just one test. I think with past mistakes, they won't be in any hurry to give out new records. I read the criteria a while back but I can't seem to find it right now. Another problem is the calibration and pure cap conversions used in HPLC tests, some use 15mil and some use 16 mil as a conversion. Also this pepper likely won't be eligible for PVP status since it was only selectively bred and no new genes were introduced, just like the dorset naga
I think info on these pepper forums are so far ahead of Guiness, they are not pepper experts or even likely pepper growers

POTAWIE said:
A guiness record doesn't mean too much to me, look at all the flaws in the past: Siling labuyo, red savina etc. There are lots of peppers these days probably hotter than a bhut but there is more criteria needed to be given a record than just one test. I think with past mistakes, they won't be in any hurry to give out new records. I read the criteria a while back but I can't seem to find it right now. Another problem is the calibration and pure cap conversions used in HPLC tests, some use 15mil and some use 16 mil as a conversion. Also this pepper likely won't be eligible for PVP status since it was only selectively bred and no new genes were introduced, just like the dorset naga
I think info on these pepper forums are so far ahead of Guiness, they are not pepper experts or even likely pepper growers

+1 i agree 100% Potawie.
Whats up with the trinidad viper anyways? Anyone know

madhatter said:
Whats up with the trinidad viper anyways? Anyone know

I think they guy said that his plants got ruined last season so the crop was a no go. Supposedly he's got them up and running again this year so I guess we'll find out in the summer what the deal is. I have a strange feeling we'll never hear about it again.

Thought is was a cross between a savina and scorpion. If thats the case it aint from trini anymore. God that bugs me!!

madhatter said:
Thought is was a cross between a savina and scorpion. If thats the case it aint from trini anymore. God that bugs me!!
Thats not what I remember. I thought it was supposed to be some sort of mutant and not a cross, maybe not but its not listed on chileseeds anymore anyways

My vote still goes to the 7 Pod Brain Strain. Much, much hotter than a Bhut IMO. This Infinity pod looks like it could be related to the 7PBS.

bigt said:
My vote still goes to the 7 Pod Brain Strain. Much, much hotter than a Bhut IMO. This Infinity pod looks like it could be related to the 7PBS.

What is the brain strain anyways BigT? Is it a cross between a seven pot and scorpion.
Will get a chance to try it this summer. See what all the hype is about.
It looks very similar to the scorp morouga red i grew last year. It may have a bit more of a tail. I'm also growing this SR Strain which also looks the same.
By the way liked the pics you posted of it on flickr

"The hottest chili" is very subjective and I'm sure Scoville would agree. Personally I've had Scorps with a lot of horsepower, but for some reason my 7pods tear me out of the frame. We've all had peppers from the same plant that just don't make the grade. Growing a single pepper to rank high wouldn't be that tough, but replicating the result would another story

So I watched the video.

How does it taste man? We all know what a delayed burn is like. But is it smokey, fruity herby or what man? I can guess fruity, but.....

madhatter said:

If memory serves me, there's a Chilli Festival in the Lake District (about two hours north of Liverpool) late in the summer, which is where his company is located, and he's one of the main participants. I might have a little visit this year and see if he's got any of those mysteriously deadly chillies...with that high level of capsiacin, would the inside of the pods be full of some sort of crystalline resin??

So if this viper is a cross between a scorpion and a red savina then its obviously got to be very unstable, it would likely take 5 to 10 years to stabilize in my opinion. This leads me to wonder why anyone would spend the time and money getting a hplc test for an unstable cross which isn't going to breed true and apparently doesn't even grow well. It sounds like a case of someone being nieve, lying, or just being a greedy scammer.
As for Woody's pepper, there was a thread about it on his forum

was being sent Infinity 7 pods Yonks ago from ? i forget some1 was going to and would i test it and sauces.., Guess what Nort turned up.. but if had $1 for everytime something turned up that said was coming, wouldn't be doing this Or "send me all your sauces and ill review them for you" that's 1 from the list of "Top 10 Stupidist things People Ask"

wow how do you actually go about getting $1 for everytime some does something, Please let me know when Find out.

anyways Testing the Brain Strain tomorrow, Rob sent a couple Ripe 1's down during the week

Brainstrain1.jpg

Not growing as didn't have seeds so couldn't and will eat this lot and won't forcably throw them back up to grow like did once before with 1 as wanted to grow them , that was probably worse than going Down and Don't recommend it But Still Have The Scorpion Grew from it, was a billyboy's 1 if remember correctly, But then got some off ButchT so didn't have to worry about anyway :)

with a Bit of Luck, Andrew will turn up and test the other 1 :)

and the Yellow Bhuts are Turning Yellow YAY the yellow scorps i got turned Red LOL and wernt hot so got Non Hot Red Scorps, whoo hoo but will test a Yellow Bhut in a few weeks to see how they go

Tomorrow , no todayyyy The Brain...

Back