• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hp22b!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read through the whole thread. I think people are upset because of the way it has been hyped up..., and because of the nature of the product.

This new chilli has been hyped and marketed all on words. The only people who have grown it and tried it are also the only ones who are selling it. And the proof of its exceptional claims are yet to be verfied by the impartial third party scientists. Perhaps a more ethical way to handle it was to wait until the final test report and then announce its existence to the world. There would still be an exclusive release of the product.

Also they could have trusted a few respected independent growers to grow a crop and submit those pods for testing with their own. That would make any claims of "hottest ever" scoville numbers much more reputable. But they haven't done that and on another site I read something mentioning that they use stressing to get hotter pods.

Seeds aren't like a packet of ham where as soon as you open it one sniff can tell you if its gone off. If you buy a chilie seed you have to put in some effort and time before you know whether you got what you were promised, or a dud. I highly doubt anyone who purchases these seeds will be able to tell the difference between a moruga scoprion and a butch t and a carolina reaper if they ate a whole pod. Not within any acceptable tolerances for growing conditions and each plant's natural pod deviation. And will anyone buying these seeds be testing them?

So what'll happen is people will pay a premium based on the hype, (whether or not any records are awarded) and grow them and get something that looks gnarly with a big stinger and burns as hot as hell. That will be fine for the vast majority of consumers and the sellers of the new strain will make some cash for a while at least.

Ebay scammers will also appear and sell seeds called hottest ever which turn out to be jalapenos. They make their money and before a growing season time has elapsed they abandon the nickname and start a new identity. They are selling based on the pictures and words... ie. hype. These new caroliner reaper seeds are also being sold on hype. Yes they aren't actually being sold yet but people are putting their names down and are even in this thread announcing they are "sold" on them. I'm obviously not saying this is a scam and pepperjoe and puckerbutt aren't going to dissapear once their stock is gone, but pods that measure 2 mil are going to burn your face off just like a 1.4 mil and no one is going to challenge their hottest ever claim whilst they are rolling on the ground in pain. (edit: just read that spongey600 said exactly this in another thread:P great minds huh)

I think people are upset at the way the marketing has been handled. And also that they didn't do it first. I doubt anyone begrudges the effort to make a dollar, just the method.

Just read through the whole thread. I think people are upset because of the way it has been hyped up..., and because of the nature of the product.

This new chilli has been hyped and marketed all on words. The only people who have grown it and tried it are also the only ones who are selling it. And the proof of its exceptional claims are yet to be verfied by the impartial third party scientists. Perhaps a more ethical way to handle it was to wait until the final test report and then announce its existence to the world. There would still be an exclusive release of the product.

Also they could have trusted a few respected independent growers to grow a crop and submit those pods for testing with their own. That would make any claims of "hottest ever" scoville numbers much more reputable. But they haven't done that and on another site I read something mentioning that they use stressing to get hotter pods.

Seeds aren't like a packet of ham where as soon as you open it one sniff can tell you if its gone off. If you buy a chilie seed you have to put in some effort and time before you know whether you got what you were promised, or a dud. I highly doubt anyone who purchases these seeds will be able to tell the difference between a moruga scoprion and a butch t and a carolina reaper if they ate a whole pod. Not within any acceptable tolerances for growing conditions and each plant's natural pod deviation. And will anyone buying these seeds be testing them?

So what'll happen is people will pay a premium based on the hype, (whether or not any records are awarded) and grow them and get something that looks gnarly with a big stinger and burns as hot as hell. That will be fine for the vast majority of consumers and the sellers of the new strain will make some cash for a while at least.

Ebay scammers will also appear and sell seeds called hottest ever which turn out to be jalapenos. They make their money and before a growing season time has elapsed they abandon the nickname and start a new identity. They are selling based on the pictures and words... ie. hype. These new caroliner reaper seeds are also being sold on hype. Yes they aren't actually being sold yet but people are putting their names down and are even in this thread announcing they are "sold" on them. I'm obviously not saying this is a scam and pepperjoe and puckerbutt aren't going to dissapear once their stock is gone, but pods that measure 2 mil are going to burn your face off just like a 1.4 mil and no one is going to challenge their hottest ever claim whilst they are rolling on the ground in pain. (edit: just read that spongey600 said exactly this in another thread:P great minds huh)

I think people are upset at the way the marketing has been handled. And also that they didn't do it first. I doubt anyone begrudges the effort to make a dollar, just the method.

Very well written... And I agree with everything here. Personally when making such claims they should be backed by a independent 3rd party, multiple is climate grows, and even get the world record through Guinness before hyping the pepper using "World's Hottest Pepper". I would also add that the price IMO is way to high. Maybe they are out to make a quick buck then the hb22b will be gone in 4 months once inv. is gone and the claims fail to be true.

I think Ed and Joe understand that their window of opportunity in this hottest chile arms race is shrinking as we speak. I can't blame them for hyping. Where else would you expect to hear hype about the next hottest pepper more than a website dedicated to peppers? We are the target audience, and we can't stop talking about it. They are doing exactly what I hope we would do in the same situation.

Someone asked me something. All I know is what Ed has told me about the pods. I believe the hottest one I have had from memory was the HP22B G strain. and it had a average of 1,800,000 or something like that. I am supposed to be getting 2 more strains from him for testing in the next few days. i'm so damn confused I don't even know which strain the Carolina Reaper is.(should have one in a few days :onfire: ) Ed is also sending me a pod that has a average of 2 million plus over a 3 year period. I will give a honest report on my video of how I feel. One thing the Brown Moruga I got from Pepperlover was just as hot if not hotter than any Hp22b I have had.
If you go here http://www.youtube.com/user/tedbarrus
and type hp22b in the video search it will show my Hp22B related videos.
In the description I usually have the info for the pods I eat but I am not a lab just some dude that goes by the info people send me. some of the different HP22B strains I did not like, some were not as hot and others didn't taste good. I have always said that some of them look like a Primo but I take Ed at his word. the guy is a mad scientist when it comes to the pods.

one more thing I support ED Currie I am just trying to give my opinion on things and I'm not trying to push any sales or get anyone a ton of money. I just love eating pods and talking about them

Someone asked me something. All I know is what Ed has told me about the pods. I believe the hottest one I have had from memory was the HP22B G strain. and it had a average of 1,800,000 or something like that. I am supposed to be getting 2 more strains from him for testing in the next few days. i'm so damn confused I don't even know which strain the Carolina Reaper is.(should have one in a few days :onfire: ) Ed is also sending me a pod that has a average of 2 million plus over a 3 year period. I will give a honest report on my video of how I feel. One thing the Brown Moruga I got from Pepperlover was just as hot if not hotter than any Hp22b I have had.
If you go here http://www.youtube.com/user/tedbarrus
and type hp22b in the video search it will show my Hp22B related videos.
In the description I usually have the info for the pods I eat but I am not a lab just some dude that goes by the info people send me. some of the different HP22B strains I did not like, some were not as hot and others didn't taste good. I have always said that some of them look like a Primo but I take Ed at his word. the guy is a mad scientist when it comes to the pods.

one more thing I support ED Currie I am just trying to give my opinion on things and I'm not trying to push any sales or get anyone a ton of money. I just love eating pods and talking about them

Yeah that was me Ted. I remembered you saying in one of the vids that Ed told you about a strain he had that averaged over 2 million. I was just asking if you could confirm my memory. So thanks!

This is exactly why people are put off with this whole situation. When reading through the article two things jump out as pretty questionable. First, I appreciate that Ed took the time to discuss the pepper, but what did it really tell us? Not much that we didn't already know. He has been growing for a while, into medical study and really loves it. Thanks, but we wanna know about the pepper, to which he was pretty "mum".

He said one, he still isn't sure if he is going to release the high SHU number. Wow. This is pretty crazy. Not on Ed and Joe's side, but on the sheer crazy amount of people who just blindly accept their claim to the hottest pepper in the world and didn't ask a single question. Listen, they may have it, but until the number is released and accepted, they are just making unsubstantiated claims in an effort to boost sales and hype. And they may release the number in this press release, but that will make Ed look like he was making things up in the interview instead of maybe saying something along the lines of, we will see in a week or so, or, just be patient:).

Also, he said that he didn't wanna release the parents out of fear of copycats...really, c'mon Ed, it would take almost 10 generations to copy and at that point it will likely come out different and there will be a slew of new "hottest peppers" crowned. He claimed that the parents were Asian or sub Asian....I am not buying that. If there are two peppers that have been available for the past handful of years, that came out of Asia, that can produce a pod that looks identical to a 7 pot, I would love to see it.

Why am I so against this? Because of one simple fact. If someone can get away with making claims for a record, tell nobody anything about the actual pepper, and sell thousands before any real study or peer review was conducted, then God only knows what the future holds for us. If nobody holds the growers in this community accountable, then it is just inviting problems.

I hope I am wrong. But until I see some facts and not just words with no evidence, I'm calling a spade a spade.

MGOLD I understand what you just said. I am just telling people what I feel when I eat it. I will be eating primos more morugas and other strains also. I have asked Ed just like everyone else what the original cross was and he's not going to say. He says he has paperwork backing up the testing. I wish Ed all the luck in the world just like I wish everyone.

Ted, I don't disagree with you on this one. I am not saying Ed is doing this, but someone who would try to make a Ton of money quickly could do this exact same thing. And if nothing is ever released I promise you, it will open the door for people who will do just that. It will be claim after claim with nothing to back it up. Because, hey, some dude sold thousands without ever releasing anything backin up his claims.

Oh, lol, your reply posted when I was typing mine...just saw it.

I appreciate that you are unbiased on this one, I mean you are one of the only ones who have ever eaten one. It is great that you can at least try them and give us your opinion.

You also brought up a good point, there are multiple strains...what is going to happen to those? Why would he send you different strains if he is trying to release one pepper??

Just got done texting with Ed
the carolina reaper is the HP22B A strain
when I did this video I did not know that. a lot of things were kept secret for many reasons. I am just a reviewer and I'm not trusted with a lot of info.
this video is me eating the A strain and what is known as the Carolina Reaper.
Ed is sending out even hotter pods but I don't think they will be stable strains. The reaper is on its 8th generation I think

Thanks man.

So the reaper is A strain, which is the" worlds hottest". And he also has hotter ones that aren't released?

He may not care, but if you are texting him, you should shoot him the link to this thread. He doesn't have to be a member to read it. Maybe that will show him the level of interest that people have in supplemental data to back up the claims.

http://thepepperseed.com

yes from what I understand. need to remember Ed and joe have a lot invested in this. I just went and changed my titles and my title on the A strain video. but yes I got a text from him and the A strain is the Carolina Reaper.

I don't doubt that they are over 1 million.. maybe even close to a butch t, but avg 2 mill seems farfetched to me... pepper joe wouldnt have just eaten a little piece and not been destroyed by it on camera then. Id love to try one of those now that im on a superhot review kick

Hey all, at work so short answer, we're releasing multiple years of data for peer review and to Guinness. What's been published already was a statistical average of tests at 1.474 mil on the a strain from @ two years ago. Not a high, the average. I'll respond more after church tonight. Also, as an FYI, I leave all ghd hype and such to those who know better. I try to stick to growing, unless they are doing something dishonest, you should leave them alone,

Hey all, at work so short answer, we're releasing multiple years of data for peer review and to Guinness. What's been published already was a statistical average of tests at 1.474 mil on the a strain from @ two years ago. Not a high, the average. I'll respond more after church tonight. Also, as an FYI, I leave all ghd hype and such to those who know better. I try to stick to growing, unless they are doing something dishonest, you should leave them alone,

Heck yeah! Some of you guys I've already heard of from google, YouTube, ect. before I found this place. Love the fact that there is a place to read post from the 'horse's mouth', I'm diggin it!

:welcome:

Hey Ed, thanks for taking the time to join and discuss this with all of us.
I don't think I'm alone when I say it's very much appreciated.

Brandon

I have a few basic questions that cover the issues that I have been debating with the good people here.

What is the max SHU that you have had the Carolina Reaper, HP22b, tested at? If you haven't had it tested, or do not know the answer, then how can the claim of the world's hottest pepper be valid?

What is the lineage of the pepper? Let's be honest, by the time anyone would be able to replicate the Carolina Reaper, we will have a whole slew of other peppers that have taken the top spot. It is hard to believe that the pepper's parents are "Asian descent", when it mimics so closely so many of the Trinidad peppers. The characteristics are boldly 7 pot/Scorpion, not Bhut/Naga. In addition, even if someone tried to recreate your pepper, it would be unlikely they would get an exact match, you selectively bred them after all.

After hearing from Ted, he said that you have other, hotter pods than the Carolina Reaper. Can we expect a series of rollouts in the next few months, years? If not, why push the Carolina Reaper out, when you have hotter pods??

I respect the fact that you just grow, and others do the marketing, however, you are the one ultimately responsible for this pepper, not Joe. It is impossible to get any answers out of Joe, other than a marketing answer. No fault on his, he is the marketing man after all. I worry that if you are able to successfully sell thousands of seeds without giving any evidence or explanation to your claim (an actual highest SHU that you are registering with the record book), it will leave the community wide open for tons of people to make claims, make a boatload of cash, and bail. You are not obligated to answer my questions, or even respond to them, I just wanted to get them out there.

Got a second all, picking up my beautiful baby girl at my Father's and heading to the Church. Is MGold a Michigan reference ? As I said in the interview, I am praying on if I/we will release the high data and one offs or stay with the averages. No one else is going with statistical averages, they are all using highs.I am trying to make the high/low range less than 200,000 and we've achieved that with this strain. The people who are advising me from the industry want me to, but I really dont want ego wars. Be patient please. Frankly, I was not aware of this community until a little over a year ago, and I don't know who most of you are and why I should share, but I listen and pray. I have asked Dr Calloway to get me the information and we'll make that decision. Are you sure that Trinidad peppers are not Asian decent ? Has anyone beside me put out the money to find out. I have and continue to do genetics as well, many will be surprised when that data is released. I am trying to get a reliable source on a true primo to compare with our genetics, I should be able to have that in the pipeline this fall. I saw a comment about testing from greenhouses. All of or statistical test are from field grown peppers in north and south carolina. We've aslo mimiced the soils everywhere but the southwest and northwest, growers came on board this year for testing in those soils. We have tested one offs from the green house, they are only to test progress and not included in testing data. I did not grow any of these originally to do anything like this, and I'm doing research with the others, when the data and stuff is done, they'll be released. Ted is my friend and I let hem taste those and other pods of mine because of his HONEST FEEDBACK, he is a man of integrity, a crazy on too. The evidence of our claim was released and published in May of 2011. We submitted to guiness, they wanted back up data, so we've decided to include the whole study on this pepper, down to the part numbers and calibration records on the HPLC we use. Dr Calloway and I are both confident everything will stand up to peer review and will suffice for Guinness. I am not putting down anyone else's claim, I know how hard it is and what it takes to get a field pepper over 2000000, it's quite a feat, but years of data and averages seem like better science to me. I hate to say it y'all, but I think this community wants one off wars for the drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back