• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

huntsman's progress...

First ever sprouts, under a makeshift set up. They seem very happy...though I'm obviously not a chilli psychologist...;)

p8010002.jpg

The wiring is from a couple of thermometers I have scattered around the set up to try and ensure uniform warmth.

Later the same day:

...and the system advances slightly...

P8010003.jpg

P8010001.jpg

That's looking pretty exciting, it's interesting that even with the light so close you can still see the little beggars leaning to it :)

Nice group of seedlings huntsman.

I'd recommend at least one more light fixture mounted parallel to the first. Ideally you want light directly above the seedlings, so you want your light source as wide as the seedling area. That will stop the leggy seedling tilt to the light of those perimeter plants.

Thanks guys -

SS, it's even worse than that... I have two other pairs of lights in different parts of the room as well as a single tube now in place above the pair you can see. These bloody seeds are sprouting left, right and centre on me, faster than I can cope! :oops::cool:

I'm off to the shop to source a shop light, (which over here has four parallel tubes) on Saturday, and I'll probably need three of them as I have a tray of tomato seeds that sprouted at the same time!:lol:

This shelving was being under utilised in the storeroom of my gift shop.

(Well, actually, that's the excuse I gave myself in order to justify its promotion!)

theshelvingbefore.jpg

Might need a lick of primer and paint, m'thinks!

theshelvingafter.jpg

Yep...that's better!

After moving into the garden hut...

vegshelvingaug2009.jpg

The plastic sheeting should help to reflect the light, but does certainly contribute to heat build - up, so fans will be added next day off.

The cups are standing in water for awhile, in order for capillary action to feed the plants. The outer cups are seen in the next pic, standing on a board from which the fluorescent tubes are suspended. Once the plants have drunk enough, the are replaced in the outer cups and moved to the correct height space under one of the banks of lamps...

These cups are not a good idea IMO, as they are paper and the drainage holes block easily. The plastic ones are much easier, and I have used a soldering iron to burn three holes in each cup.

vegshelvingcloseup.jpg

Here's a view with the plastic sheeting out of the way...

vegshelvingopen.jpg

Not sure how clear it is from the pics, but each shelf has lights at different heights to the others, as these darn peppers are refusing to grow at the same rate, and just about each one requires a different height!

Each shelf is on chains though, so can be adjusted where necessary.

I'm happy to report that we noted this evening that several plants have roots coming out of the bottoms of the cups!

Never bloody stops, this hobby!!:shocked::shocked:

DAMN DUDE! You're doin it big aint'cha? :lol: The setup looks great man, and can't wait watch those plants get big! They're looking good and healthy now...

huntsman,

I would suggest you transplant the seedlings into something else. It the roots grow out the bottom too much, you are going to have a very hard time transplanting them later, at least without killing a bunch of the roots. Personally, I love a thick root ball that holds together when transplanting into dirt.

Mike

wordwiz said:
huntsman,

I would suggest you transplant the seedlings into something else. It the roots grow out the bottom too much, you are going to have a very hard time transplanting them later, at least without killing a bunch of the roots. Personally, I love a thick root ball that holds together when transplanting into dirt.

Mike

I agree. I think I made that same mistake by not realizing how fast they actually grow under lights. Within 2 weeks of my sprouts being transplanted I had to move them again. The ones I potted up took of and the ones I held off on grew out the bottom and caused problems and ended up being a lot smaller. Get those into some pots sooner than later so they will have room to grow.

When the roots are spilling out it's time for a new abode dude. Time to move 'em into bigger cups.

Looking great too Paul. You can lose that noob nonsense I think.

Best of luck to you buddy.

Thanks, fellas!

Yeah, that was worrying me too...

So just to confirm, I need to transplant as soon as the roots start to peep from the bottom, and not wait for a root ball??

So...I should really have potted up to a bigger pot in the first place, right?

What size shall I go to now, from a coffee cup size? About a 1 litre grow bag?

ah well...

firstplantsaug2009.jpg

firstplantsaug200902.jpg

First day in the Sun 27 Aug 2009...

firstdayinthesunaug2009w.jpg

...Now that we actually have sun...!

firstdayinthesunaug2009p.jpg

firstdayinthesunaug2009.jpg

...and the world's tiniest buds! My first-ever buds, on an unknown Serbian sweet pepper. Look carefully ~ you'll find 'em!
72609066.gif

firsttinybuds28aug2009.jpg

Paul you've gone pro on us! Look at all those plants and look at the growth on them! Beautiful work my friend.

You should probably pinch those buds, let the plant concentrate on growing and getting bigger for now.

Keep up the great work and you're going to change the taste buds of South Africa. Best of luck to you.

Ha - early days yet, but it's great fun so far!

I'll nail all of the buds in the morning, Pat. How often should I check for them? Daily, I guess?

You don't need to do a pod check Paul just when you find 'em pinch 'em. They'll stop putting them out soon enough and concentrate on overall plant growth.

Looking fantastic too man.

Wow Huntsman you've got plenty of firepower there mate. How many plants are there. I could probably count them but I couldn't be arsed... Looks like you're doing great.

Back