• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hydro details

Reflective sheeting can be used to keep it cool. Also if you freeze some water in a plastic bottle over night and drop it into the tank in the morning.

Also you could add some food grade hydrogen peroxide to deal with your brown roots.

Chris

I have a DWC that is outdoors and last year, by the end of the summer, half of the roots was brown/dead.
I have to say that my leaves never got affected and the plants grew healthy all season.

Are you keeping and eye on the PH and EC of the solution? Does the water get really hot? Did you harden your plants before putting them outside?

Bleash

I will have to try that frozen water bottle trick that's a great idea. I did test the Ph last time and right out of the hose it was 7 or 7.5 if I recall correctly. I don't have an EC tester. I did harden the plants outside. as far as that damage goes they were looking good up until this point. Here are the root photos for this week (week 4).

Here is a closeup see the little hair like ones growing off the main ones? :)
IMG00212-20100621-1829.jpg

A beautiful close up if I must say so myself.
IMG00210-20100621-1828.jpg

Another beautiful close up
IMG00211-20100621-1829.jpg

Also notice the coloration. It doesn't look real bad but maybe bad enough that it should be addressed. I did notice something a little interesting over the weeks. Two plants on one side seem to have longer roots and also sit on a side where the air stone generates more air bubbles. I noticed that on the valve outside the container there is some air escaping. Is it possible that one side could be getting the better root growth based on the amount of air bubbles being produce? It is minor but noticeable. Maybe next week I will measure the roots with a tape measure to get a better idea how long these puppies are and to get a better idea of the weekly growth.

The roots look perfectly healthy.
Besides de PH being a too high( witch is not a problem if only for a day or two ) I don't see a reason for your plants to be suffering.
It has to bee an external problem.
Can the holes in the leaves be a sign of a pest?
Can be burned leaves be a sign of too much sun?

Hope you find the cause soon.

Bleash

Well Like I said I removed a couple I will take a closer look tonight and see if any other are bad enough to be removed and then go from there and see if that helps. But since you say the roots look healthy that makes me feel better. Also when doing my nute change yesterday I put the plants that had the shorter roots onto the side that has the air stone creating more bubbles so I will see if that seems to make an impact also.

Yes I am using GH nutes. That could be the case seems odd that there would be any white on the roots since the water is a redish/pink color and those long roots are soaking in it. It is kind of odd though because if you look at the roots its like some are colored and some are all white. Well maybe I just need to play the waiting game and see what direction it goes.

Well its Monday again. Im kind of excited because this is becoming the only good thing to look forward to on a Monday after work. :) Well I have changed the nutes and the plants are trying to recover now. I notice the wilt when I change it so maybe I will have to find a better method or something. But I did remember to measure the roots and I also measured one of the plants. So here they are.
The nice long beautiful roots
IMG00225-20100628-1813.jpg

...and the tops
IMG00226-20100628-1813.jpg

Here is one of the other plants that we have also been fallowing with the past few posts.
IMG00227-20100628-1814.jpg

And a close up of that same plant.
IMG00228-20100628-1814.jpg

Enjoy ;)

Those roots look very healthy.
You shouldn't be having problems with wilting... mine never wilt.
Are they exposed to direct sun and/or extreme heat when you change the nuts?
You have to be very carefull not to allow the roots to dry out during the change or it can affect your plants.

Keep up the good work :)

Bleash

Well I am pretty quick when changing the nutes but yes they are exposed to full sun while I am doing it. I checked up on them once it was dark just a few hours after the change and they sprung right back in full as if it never happened so they may have just had to get their feet wet again...lol You know if I wanted to I could get another bin just like this one, fill it with the new nute solution then when I am ready just rinse out this one dump the nutes into it and snap the lid back on and it would probably take 60 seconds. Anyway the plants did pop right back without any apparent issues.

One other thing I wanted to add was that even with this being a success I have had my losses this season to. I have done any fertilizing and maybe it is also partially my fault but some of my other plants aren't thriving like they did last year. I have put them in the ground and have only watered them so I feel that may be playing a roll. I do also have a new spot that has never been used for gardening and the peppers back there dont seem to be doing to bad but they are still way off from looking as good as my hydro plants. Anyway for comparison here is one of my sad looking cayenne's.

IMG00229-20100629-0711.jpg

All my plants hit the soil the same time I did they hydro so you can really see how much further a head they hydro plants are in relation to the soil ones.

i didnt read the entire thread but here's my 2 cents. i have a similar set up but it's in a bucket with only one plant (white peruvian habanero) i used a lower concentration than recommended on the label and havent changed the solution and it's been well over 2 months. havent adjsuted pH ever. i dont even have an air pump haha all i do is every now and then when the water level gets too low i add some tap water. point is dont worry too much, there's hardly a difference in overall yield between taking too much care of your plants and doing the bare minimum.

Good luck!

I'd suggest backing off on the concentration too. Are you using 5/5/5 per gallon? I think you would be fine with 3 micro + 6 bloom and 0 grow. I don't use much grow, but if you want to keep it then 3/3/3 is probably plenty for your peppers. Roots look very nice.

Yes I have roughly 3.5-3.25 gallons in there so i am doing about 6.5/6.5/6.5 I have noticed all sort of new leaves starting to grow is that the grow formula talking or is that normal? Perhaps I will try the 3-micro/6-bloom/0-grow and see how that works. Should that then kick the plant into flowering/fruiting mode?

6.5x3 per gallon? That's pretty high, definately high enough to cause wilting. If the concentration is too high the water gets pulled out by osmosis. Grow and Bloom have mostly the same stuff but in different ratios. Switching won't make the plants do two different things quick enough to notice. Have you gotten your pH in check? That's more important than anything else.

Here's what I'd do:
Take a about a half gallon out and water some soil plants.
Add back plain water
Next time you do a change out use much less and tilt the ratio to bloom. Even w/out the grow the plant can still get huge. Micro has plenty of nitrogen. Basically you want a ratio of one part micro to two parts bloom or bloom+grow. I lean to bloom because I don't want huge plants. Still they look pretty good, just maybe a little to much food.

Would it be safe to say that if I did want bigger plants that it would result in higher yields? Or maybe I should be asking that in reverse. If I want higher yields I would want bigger plants correct? If that was the case what ratio would you recommend then, 3-micro/6-bloom/6-grow?

No you don't want 3/6/6. I'll try to explain it this way Grow and Bloom are Macro nutrients, Micro is Micro nutrients. I like a ratio of 2:1 Macro to Micro. 3/3/3 and 3/6/0 are both 2:1. Make sense?

It looks like you've got multiple plants in about a 5gal container. You definately don't want to try and grow big plants that way. Even one in a 5 gal bucket is difficult when it starts producing. That's why I say cut out the grow ASAP and use less nutrient overall.

Yes that does make sense. Thanks a lot for your input I will try the 3/6/0 solution next Monday and see how it goes from there. I should keep it at that level then for the rest of the season?

Well I think I have been staying on top of my dates right and if so this will mark week 6 of my hydroponic experiment. Now that I have been using the tape measure to see the growth results, they seem quite huge. Today I also changed the nutes to a 3ml(micro)/6ml(bloom)/0ml(grow) formula so we will see how that works out in the weeks to come. So how about a couple pics.

I didn't measure the roots and not sure if they are getting longer but I think they are since they were tangled in with another plants roots, but I could tell the roots were fuller.
IMG00258-20100705-1137.jpg

Can you read that tape measure right? That is the plant I keep using in almost all of my pics and it is reading at about 14"-15". That's about 5" of growth in one week.
about 14"-15"
IMG00257-20100705-1136.jpg

I also noticed some budding starting so hopefully by next week I will have some flowers to show you all.

Back