• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Making some puree today...will post pics of the process....it's easy....

Here's my second attempt, using Reapers. I followed AJ's recipe exactly except I used frozen pods. I'm glad I wore nitrile gloves, would have had the hunan hands for sure.  :)

lq0YIfvl.jpg

oIUXrDdl.jpg

For now I'm vacuum sealing the jars and keeping in the fridge. Need to get the stuff to preserve for long term though. 

3500 grams 7 Pot chiles
2100 ml vinegar
1/3 cup salt
1/3 cup agave

Frozen chiles work just fine, Blendtec blender, using some of the vinegar to help with the blendering-
IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3851.JPG

IMG_3852.JPG

IMG_3853.JPG

In the pot, getting happy-
IMG_3854.JPG

15 9oz jars out of the boiling water bath.  Didn't have cooling racks, so I used a piece of cardboard to put the hot jars on. 
40 2oz jars ready for lids and BWB-
IMG_3855.JPG

IMG_3856.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG

salsalady said:

15 9oz jars out of the boiling water bath.  Didn't have cooling racks, so I used a piece of cardboard to put the hot jars on. 

SL, thanks for sharing that. Where's a good place to find those tiny 2 oz jars? Looks like they would be a great size for giving to friends and family. As hot as these purees are, 2 oz would last most people a long time.

salsalady said:
Uhhmm. is this serious? 

Just do the math!  I'll get you started.  20 grams is what percentage of 100 grams?    20%!!!! 

Do the math on the rest.  
What is 20% of 60ml vinegar? 
What is 20% of agave?

OK, I know I'm being a little snarky here.  But seriously.....I know there's a lot of thing in question when making sauces and such, but basic math should not be one of them.

as a side note, as what was referenced before, the quantities talked about are so small I'm not sure if it could even be cooked.  Well, I suppose it could...very carefully...

For this small of quantity, by the time it gets cooked it will probably be reduced enough.  Sounds it won't be "canned" so don't worry about how long to cook it.  Simmer it for a few minutes, reduce it to the desired consistency, stick it in a container and keep it refrigerated. 
:)

You should see my spreadsheets that have ratios for 1-300 batches. Love those spreadsheets.

Peter S said:

SL, thanks for sharing that. Where's a good place to find those tiny 2 oz jars? Looks like they would be a great size for giving to friends and family. As hot as these purees are, 2 oz would last most people a long time.
PeterS-
I get mine from Specialty Bottle, shipped out of Seattle.  They now have a warehouse in Nashville, so that should help with shipping costs for East Coast people.   

Freund has some 1.5 oz and 3.7 oz. plus some other shapes.

I would love to follow this recipe but I have a small problem.

I have 200 grams of dried scotch bonnets. How much would this be when fresh? Kinda stuck with this, I could take a guess but is there anyone who knows how much of these peppers is water so I can make it a bit more scientific?

Any help much appreciated, would love to try to make this puree! :drooling:

Paul.

Paul44 said:
I would love to follow this recipe but I have a small problem.

I have 200 grams of dried scotch bonnets. How much would this be when fresh? Kinda stuck with this, I could take a guess but is there anyone who knows how much of these peppers is water so I can make it a bit more scientific?

Any help much appreciated, would love to try to make this puree! :drooling:

Paul.
Chile Pepper Weights and Measures-

Dried chiles are typically 10:1.  10 pounds of fresh =1pound dried.

Conversely... 1 pound dried should reconstitute to 10 pounds fresh equivalent.

HOWEVER----

When making AJ's Puree Recipe, it calls for reducing the sauce.  So when starting with dried chiles, by not adding the (x10) water ratio and adding a (x8) ratio, you're already making it a concentrate.  :lightbulb: 

:party:

salsalady said:
"snarky comment omitted" 

as a side note, as what was referenced before, the quantities talked about are so small I'm not sure if it could even be cooked.  Well, I suppose it could...very carefully...

For this small of quantity, by the time it gets cooked it will probably be reduced enough.  Sounds it won't be "canned" so don't worry about how long to cook it.  Simmer it for a few minutes, reduce it to the desired consistency, stick it in a container and keep it refrigerated. 

Sorry, I was being a little lazy and not wanting to do the math at the moment. If I don't have enough fresh peppers to make my own puree then I should probably buy some from one of the vendors here or seeing that you and a number of other members are already making large batches of puree would anyone here be willing to sell me a bottle?

salsalady said:
3500 grams 7 Pot chiles
2100 ml vinegar
1/3 cup salt
1/3 cup agave

Frozen chiles work just fine, Blendtec blender, using some of the vinegar to help with the blendering-
attachicon.gif
IMG_3850.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_3851.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_3852.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_3853.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_3854.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_3855.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_3856.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_3858.JPG

Interesting SL. The last time I made this recipe was before I bought a good pH measurer so I never had the ability to check it. I'm assuming by your post above, you have checked that it is safe for BWB?

Jeff H- this batch measures 3.88pH, OK for BWB.  

For new people reading this post- keep in mind that different chiles have different natural pH levels.  Don't "assume" that following this recipe and substituting Serranos for Scorpions will yield a similar pH.  AJ's recipe was created using superhot chiles.  I "think" most superhot chiles have similar pH levels and lend themselves well to this puree recipe.  But I'm not a food scientist or Process Authority, so please use common sense when making these recipes with other chiles.  If in doubt....refrigerate or pressure can. 

salsalady said:
3500 grams 7 Pot chiles
2100 ml vinegar
1/3 cup salt
1/3 cup agave

attachicon.gif
IMG_3850.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_3851.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_3852.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_3853.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_3854.JPG

attachicon.gif
IMG_3855.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_3856.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_3858.JPG
I love the fact that even before processing your blender looks like it's forewarning you by saying dairy. Lol.
Great looking batch too!

MeatHead1313 said:
I love the fact that even before processing your blender looks like it's forewarning you by saying dairy. Lol.
Great looking batch too!
:lol:  Never thought of that! 

The BlendTec blenders are geared for making smoothies hence the measurements on the carafe.  I LOVE this blender,  only gripe I have is that in the last few months I've notices the rubber has gotten dry and the blades were stuck.  I put some mineral oil on the gasket and after a few days of working the mineral oil around the gear, it loosened up enough to be able to use. 
 I'll be checking it and keeping it oiled and we'll see if it stays working.  Or, I may be getting a replacement carafe~~~

Tony Cappello said:

Sorry, I was being a little lazy and not wanting to do the math at the moment. If I don't have enough fresh peppers to make my own puree then I should probably buy some from one of the vendors here or seeing that you and a number of other members are already making large batches of puree would anyone here be willing to sell me a bottle?

Since you asked~ 
:)

salsalady said:
Chile Pepper Weights and Measures-

Dried chiles are typically 10:1.  10 pounds of fresh =1pound dried.

Conversely... 1 pound dried should reconstitute to 10 pounds fresh equivalent.

HOWEVER----

When making AJ's Puree Recipe, it calls for reducing the sauce.  So when starting with dried chiles, by not adding the (x10) water ratio and adding a (x8) ratio, you're already making it a concentrate.  :lightbulb: 

:party:

I forgot to thank you for this!

I am going to make a small test batch tomorrow with 100g of dried peppers, cant wait!

Thanks again,

Paul.

Let us know how it works.  As a side note, I'm thinking you may need to simmer low and slow a bit longer than with fresh pods to get the pulp reconstituted to a smooth consistency.  Oh, and this also depends on whether you are starting with whole pods or powder.  If you have whole pods, I'd grind them up dry to a flake or granular consistency before starting the  cook. 

Have Fun!  Keep the vent fan on!  :)

For this small test batch I used some dried pinocchio nose that I had lying around. I just wanted to see how this would work out with dried peppers. My scotch bonnets will get the same treatment when my jars arrive on Tuesday!

I had whole dried fruit so I added just enough hot water to cover them, stirred and then left them for a few hours, they softened up pretty quickly and I couldn't wait to get blending.

I added the other ingredients in the right proportions. As I was worried about small hard pieces of fruit being in there, I blended it on full power for a good 3 or 4 minutes which seemed to work quite well.

Its currently simmering down and tastes great!

I will take some photos once I get my big batch all jarred up mid week.

EDIT - What I do know is that previously uninteresting and fairly un-hot peppers became AMAZING and a fair bit hotter. Love it!

Thank you everyone,

Paul.

Back