• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2012 Growlog

Tonight I started the new season. My growlist for 2012 contains the following varities:

Annuum
Caloro
Cayenne Golden
Cherry Chocolate
Chilhuacle Negro
Fish
Jalapeño Biker Billy Hybrid
Jalapeño Chichimeca
Jalapeño Craigs Grande
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato
Jalapeño Hercules Jalapeño
Jumbo Jalapeño
Numex Jalmundo
Morron de Fabrica
Peppadew
Petit Marseillais
Santa Fe Grande

Baccatum
Aji Pineapple
Rain Forest

Chacoense
Yellow Chaco

Chinense
7 Pot Brown
Arbibi Gusano Red F-1
Armaggedon F-1
Biquinho
Bolivian Bumpy
CGN 20790
Chupetinho
Clavo
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii White
Fidalga Roxa
Habanero Bazooka
Habanero Big Jamaican
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Black Congo
Habanero Cappuccino Nugget
Habanero Chocolate Congo
Habanero Chocolate Hand Grenade F-1
Habanero Chocolate Lightning
Habanero Condor's Beak
Habanero Francisca ™
Habanero Giant White
Habanero Golden
Habanero Jaguar
Habanero Long Chocolate
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Pastel
Habanero Purple
Habanero Senegal Chocolate
Habanero Tasmanian Chocolate F-1
Habanero White Bullet x Maraba
Habanero White Pearl
Habanero Yellow Bumpy
Habanero Yucatan White
Habanero Zavory (in memory of aijjoe's niece Amanda)
Hurican
MadballZ
Monster Naga
Peito de Moca
Pimenta Leopard
SB7J F-1
Scarlet Lantern
Scotch Bonnet Cappuccino
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican
Trinidad Scorpion "FG"
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate

Frutescens
Tabasco Short Yellow

Most of this list I got through the genorosity of people on this forum, thanks alot! Since I only have one heated propagator I needed to split up my list, so I went for all the Habanero varities first (as you can see on the picture below). Also a few other Chinense on there.

eerstezaailijst.jpg

I sow 2 seeds per varity, so I can keep the best looking plant and give the other one away. Offcourse I'm not throwing them away, I will spread the heat among my friends so they can learn the magical world of pepper growing too ;)

I used coco-plugs as medium this time and putted them in a 60 holes tray. Looks like a tray of cup-cakes ready for the oven.
IMAG0985.jpg

After I soaked them and let the propagator get to the right tempature (± 26°C) I sow all the seeds with this as end result.
IMAG0991.jpg

All I have to do now is getting the grow area ready so when they sprouted they can be put under the CFL lights. I don't expect them to sprout for atleast a week so I still have some time. As soon there is free space I will sow the rest of my list with the Annuum to be the last ones, probally around january.

I'm still waiting inpatiently for my MadballZ 7 to ripe off, with the days getting shorter it feels like it's taking forever.

MadballZ 7, I stripped it so the pods get max. sunlight.
IMAG1860_zpsfcd1eb85.jpg

Chocolate Cherry doing it's second round but those aren't gonna ripe off unless I take it inside.
IMAG1861_zps2b3bae57.jpg

Nice crop meat! what are the chocolate cherries like, any heat?

A little bit yes, think around 1000 - 1500 scoville. Taste is just sweet, nothing special. It's great for stuffing, only had 1 plant this season so not worth the effort of stuffing them since they didn't get ripe all at once. This one is coming back next season (more plants as well).

Nice Harvest Meat.... A very colorful harvest indeed

Thanks, Portuge :)

Today I took away a lot of leaves so the pods get more sunlight, hopefully this will speed up the ripening off of all the green pods I still have.

Habanero Chocolate Hand Grenade, 2nd round.
IMAG1872_zps86ba2ec3.jpg

Habanero Harold St. Bart's x Habanero West Indian Red
IMAG1871_zps035ce964.jpg

Habanero Tasmanian Chocolate
IMAG1870_zpse84f8c63.jpg

Habanero Cappucino
IMAG1869_zpsd6df78b8.jpg

Habanero Francisca â„¢
IMAG1868_zps4eadaa49.jpg

Bolivian Bumpy, behind it Bahamian Goat Pepper (behind that one CGN21566 if you look closely), next to the Bumpy the Guadeloupe Black
IMAG1867_zps970947b8.jpg

Scotch Bonnet Cappuccino
IMAG1866_zps0d3ead1f.jpg

Douglah x Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
IMAG1865_zps501bc99b.jpg

7 Pot Brain Strain Red
IMAG1864_zps16bc4c16.jpg

Habanero Antillais Caribbean
IMAG1863_zps91702f72.jpg

It's a Chinense, John. Beautiful plant, pods and taste is not that bad either. Crunchy, juicy, light hint of the typical Chinense flavor and a fruity aroma. Will be growing this one next season again.
The weather is actually superb, of course the temps are lower but it doesn't rain a lot and it's sunny everyday. Which is great for the plants I have growing in the polytunnel.

Harvested a few new varieties yesterday.

IMAG0508_.jpg

IMAG0507_.jpg

IMAG0506_.jpg

IMAG0505_.jpg

IMAG0504_.jpg

IMAG0503_.jpg

And earlier this week +4lbs of Pimento de Padron.
IMAG0490-1.jpg

Plants are doing great and each day more and more is starting to ripe off. Good times :dance:

habanero purple looks brown-ish or is it just the light? Nice big plant that SB7J :)

eating that brain raw might make you smarter ;)

:lol: The purple is brown indeed, don't know why they call it purple anyway :banghead: It does have a red glow on it, although that's hard to get on picture. The podshape is pretty cool. I'm scared of that brain :hot: so far the Habs are still hot enough for me :fireball: I may try a little nibble when I feel brave.

Wow Stefan plants vare loaded down. What are you brewing up with all those pods?

The purpe hab looks tasty. I am with Fernando.

My SBJ7 is putting off pods exactly like yours. Madballz still struggling but my weather is getting much more pepper friendly.

How long is your grow season?

Holy freaking peppers! I have no idea how you can be so methodical in your documentation of the varieties you are growing! There is soooo much! Such variety! Did you grow multiples of any particular plants?

Oh, have you thought of taking a cut open pod picture showing the placenta/seeds next to the uncut specimen? You should totally be a scientist. Also, your photography is just brilliant.

Cheers to the peppers and the family! Good grow! :woohoo:

Now I want an El Jefe.

Stefan plant and the pepper profiles looks amazing. How was the flavor on the purple hab? That is awesome news on the weather hopefully it keeps up for you.

The Purple hab is really spicy but the Chinense flavor was a bit to overwhelming for me. Think it would make a good powder though.

Wow Stefan plants vare loaded down. What are you brewing up with all those pods?

The purpe hab looks tasty. I am with Fernando.

My SBJ7 is putting off pods exactly like yours. Madballz still struggling but my weather is getting much more pepper friendly.

How long is your grow season?

My grow season is hopefully till the end of this month, outside that is. The plants inside the tunnel will have some more time. You never know with our climate over here, last year it didn't freeze till December and then it hit us hard. So far I've been freezing most of my harvest so I can process it later into powder, sauces and sambal (don't know the english word for this). All the green Jala's I will harvest at the end will be pickled, the ripe ones will be smoked and powdered. My MadballZ 7 is finally ripening off and although it's a superhot I love the way it ripens. It looks like they have rust on them.

IMAG1891.jpg

Holy freaking peppers! I have no idea how you can be so methodical in your documentation of the varieties you are growing! There is soooo much! Such variety! Did you grow multiples of any particular plants?

Oh, have you thought of taking a cut open pod picture showing the placenta/seeds next to the uncut specimen? You should totally be a scientist. Also, your photography is just brilliant.

Cheers to the peppers and the family! Good grow! :woohoo:

Now I want an El Jefe.

Thanks, Seth. Appreciate the kind words :) Will send some El Jefe seed your way in a couple of months ;) The thing is with the cut open pod I will have to take of my latex gloves every time I wanna take a picture. I'm just to lazy for that :P Yeah I do have a couple of varieties I have more plants of like Joe's Long Cayenne (5x), Jalapeño Chichimeca (3x), Jalapeño El Jefe (3x), Jalapeño Hercules (2x), Santa Fe Grande (3x), Habanero Harold St. Bart's (2x), Fidalga Roxa (2x) and a couple more.

I tell you what Stefan. Why don't you pick like your 3 favorite flavor varieties for cooking and eating and send me those. I will grow those next year in my garden. Now, I didn't go through your grow list, but tabasco powder is like the dust of the cosmos. If you didn't grow any, you should try growing a couple plants. I'll throw a bag in with your jals. If you want seed, I can get you some too. I grew a regular cayenne this year. I enjoyed it. The flavor off the plant was almost like an allspice/cinnamon heat. Not what I was expecting but very pleasant. How is the Sante Fe Grande? I have a whole box of different seed so when I get your package together, I will shoot you an email and see if there are any you want. We should totally skype sometime though my friend. Free international live video chat!

Really stellar log Stefan. It's a great database that I can see being very useful for many people.

The sun is still shining and the late starts are blushing.

Guadeloupe Black
IMAG1905.jpg

Scarlet Lantern
IMAG1904.jpg

Habanero Antillais Caribbean
IMAG1903.jpg

7 Pot White
IMAG1902.jpg

Habanero Tasmanian Chocolate
IMAG1901.jpg

I tell you what Stefan. Why don't you pick like your 3 favorite flavor varieties for cooking and eating and send me those. I will grow those next year in my garden. Now, I didn't go through your grow list, but tabasco powder is like the dust of the cosmos. If you didn't grow any, you should try growing a couple plants. I'll throw a bag in with your jals. If you want seed, I can get you some too. I grew a regular cayenne this year. I enjoyed it. The flavor off the plant was almost like an allspice/cinnamon heat. Not what I was expecting but very pleasant. How is the Sante Fe Grande? I have a whole box of different seed so when I get your package together, I will shoot you an email and see if there are any you want. We should totally skype sometime though my friend. Free international live video chat!

Really stellar log Stefan. It's a great database that I can see being very useful for many people.

I will buddy, got some favorites. I wanted to grow Tabasco but it didn't make the cut when I formed my growlist, I do have seeds of the regular and short yellow. Would love to taste the powder, I use the sauce on everything. I know what you mean with the Cayenne, I felt the same about the Joe's Long Cayenne. Didn't expect much from it but it was really tasty to me and prolific. Allspice/cinnamon sounds really good! I love allspice. The Santa Fe Grande and Caloro were both a disappointed to me due to the lack in taste. However the pods I've tasted were formed (may) even before the plant out so maybe that effected the taste? Not sure if that's possible, got new pods hanging on the plants but doubt that they will ripe off. Will let you know when I taste those. I can include some seeds for you, so you can try them yourself. It's even more prolific then the Jalapeno's over here, more pods then leafs :lol:

Hey Stefan...................your plants and pods are looking great. I like the look of the Antillais C aribbean. I grew the 14.5, but it doesn't have the nice creaves that yours have.
Nice pod shots and discriptions. I haven't had alot of time to scan threw the glogs....sorry I missed the updates lately...
Good luck with the rest of yoiur season and any pepper processing that you'll be involved in...

Greg

Exactly what it's supposed to look like! How did you like the taste?

Yeah, I thought so. It looks beautiful but I didn't taste it anymore since I de seeded at night and didn't want cramps :oops:

Hey Stefan...................your plants and pods are looking great. I like the look of the Antillais C aribbean. I grew the 14.5, but it doesn't have the nice creaves that yours have.
Nice pod shots and discriptions. I haven't had alot of time to scan threw the glogs....sorry I missed the updates lately...
Good luck with the rest of yoiur season and any pepper processing that you'll be involved in...

Greg

Thanks, Greg! It looks good indeed and loaded with pretty big pods. I can set aside some seeds for you if you like since I'm interested in a couple of Scotch Bonnet varieties you have :oops:

Back