• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2012 Growlog

Tonight I started the new season. My growlist for 2012 contains the following varities:

Annuum
Caloro
Cayenne Golden
Cherry Chocolate
Chilhuacle Negro
Fish
Jalapeño Biker Billy Hybrid
Jalapeño Chichimeca
Jalapeño Craigs Grande
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato
Jalapeño Hercules Jalapeño
Jumbo Jalapeño
Numex Jalmundo
Morron de Fabrica
Peppadew
Petit Marseillais
Santa Fe Grande

Baccatum
Aji Pineapple
Rain Forest

Chacoense
Yellow Chaco

Chinense
7 Pot Brown
Arbibi Gusano Red F-1
Armaggedon F-1
Biquinho
Bolivian Bumpy
CGN 20790
Chupetinho
Clavo
Congo Trinidad
Fatalii White
Fidalga Roxa
Habanero Bazooka
Habanero Big Jamaican
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Black Congo
Habanero Cappuccino Nugget
Habanero Chocolate Congo
Habanero Chocolate Hand Grenade F-1
Habanero Chocolate Lightning
Habanero Condor's Beak
Habanero Francisca ™
Habanero Giant White
Habanero Golden
Habanero Jaguar
Habanero Long Chocolate
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Pastel
Habanero Purple
Habanero Senegal Chocolate
Habanero Tasmanian Chocolate F-1
Habanero White Bullet x Maraba
Habanero White Pearl
Habanero Yellow Bumpy
Habanero Yucatan White
Habanero Zavory (in memory of aijjoe's niece Amanda)
Hurican
MadballZ
Monster Naga
Peito de Moca
Pimenta Leopard
SB7J F-1
Scarlet Lantern
Scotch Bonnet Cappuccino
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican
Trinidad Scorpion "FG"
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate

Frutescens
Tabasco Short Yellow

Most of this list I got through the genorosity of people on this forum, thanks alot! Since I only have one heated propagator I needed to split up my list, so I went for all the Habanero varities first (as you can see on the picture below). Also a few other Chinense on there.

eerstezaailijst.jpg

I sow 2 seeds per varity, so I can keep the best looking plant and give the other one away. Offcourse I'm not throwing them away, I will spread the heat among my friends so they can learn the magical world of pepper growing too ;)

I used coco-plugs as medium this time and putted them in a 60 holes tray. Looks like a tray of cup-cakes ready for the oven.
IMAG0985.jpg

After I soaked them and let the propagator get to the right tempature (± 26°C) I sow all the seeds with this as end result.
IMAG0991.jpg

All I have to do now is getting the grow area ready so when they sprouted they can be put under the CFL lights. I don't expect them to sprout for atleast a week so I still have some time. As soon there is free space I will sow the rest of my list with the Annuum to be the last ones, probally around january.

Hey Meatfreak,

Your soil mix would be an excellent choice for "cutting propagation" for those who wish to start clones.

Greg

Hey Meatfreak,

Your soil mix would be an excellent choice for "cutting propagation" for those who wish to start clones.

Greg

But also for regular seedlings right? Last season I used a the same mix but with regular soil, but that is more contaminated. So I wanted to keep it more clean this time, since I have to keep them inside for a while. Don't want any bugs/flies into the house ;)

Damn meatfreak, that's a very serious habanero list you got going! I'm looking forward to seeing those grow out for you, I haven't even heard of some of those. Good luck to you n your grow :) I'll be watching this one.

Brandon

Damn meatfreak, that's a very serious habanero list you got going! I'm looking forward to seeing those grow out for you, I haven't even heard of some of those. Good luck to you n your grow :) I'll be watching this one.

Brandon

Thanks, Brandon. I love me some Habanero's :) looking forward too seing them all grownup with all kinds of pods hanging the plants.

Hey Meat, where did you get your plugs from? I am considering doing a bit of an experiment and growing in coco plugs and rapid rooters to see any difference. Cant find a site that sells the coco...

Thanks,

Matt

Hey Meat, where did you get your plugs from? I am considering doing a bit of an experiment and growing in coco plugs and rapid rooters to see any difference. Cant find a site that sells the coco... Thanks, Matt

Hey Matt, I orded them through a dutch pepper forum. The admin bought a big amount and could offer a good deal for all members who wanted the plugs. I payed $7,7 for 100 plugs. I found them on a site here for you, they are a bit more expensive over there. Maybe they are bigger sized because you have them in all kinds of sizes. The ones I used are 1,5".

Just a small update, not much going on the germination front except a few more popped. Out of 30 varieties, 6 of them didnt germinate at all
sad.png
The total germination rate is 63%, wich is really disappointing. I'm gonna sow the remaining varieties again except for the Habanero Condor's Beak. I only had 2 seeds of it. I except the reason for the low germination rate is that the top of the plugs dry out very quickly wich damages the seeds when drying up again. Next time I'm gonna use the Denomethod again like I did before, that way the seed stays more moist and doesnt dry up so quickly.

Habanero Bazooka 2/1
Habanero Big Jamaican 2/2
Habanero Big Sun 2/1
Habanero Black Congo 2/1
Habanero Cappuccino Nugget 2/2
Habanero Chocolate Congo 2/0
Habanero Chocolate Hand Grenade F-1 2/2
Habanero Chocolate Lightning 2/2
Habanero Condor's Beak 2/0
Habanero Francisca ™ 2/0
Habanero Giant White 2/2
Habanero Golden 2/1
Habanero Jaguar 2/1
Habanero Long Chocolate 4/4
Habanero Mustard 2/1
Habanero Pastel 2/0
Habanero Purple 2/2
Habanero Senegal Chocolate 2/2
Habanero Tasmanian Chocolate F-1 2/1
Habanero White Bullet x Maraba 2/2
Habanero White Pearl 2/0
Habanero Yellow Bumpy 2/1
Habanero Yucatan White 2/1
Habanero Zavory 2/2
Hurican 2/2
MadballZ 2/0
Monster Naga 2/1
Peito de Moca 2/2
Pimenta Leopard 2/2
SB7J F-1 2/1 (Looking forward too this one :) )

It's way too crowded and I need to find a solution for this soon
IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0137-1.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Stefan

Maybe you can add some vermiculite to the soil.

Vermiculite absorbs water and releases it to the plant when it needs it.
At the same time vermiculite keeps the soil porous and fluffy.

If the White Pearl will not germinate, then i send one more bag of seeds ;)

Maybe you can add some vermiculite to the soil.

Vermiculite absorbs water and releases it to the plant when it needs it.
At the same time vermiculite keeps the soil porous and fluffy.

If the White Pearl will not germinate, then i send one more bag of seeds ;)

Thanks for the offer buddy, I still got 8 seeds left too try so if one of those don't germinate I might hold you up to that offer :)
In case with the soil, I did add perlite and vermiculite too it but your mixed up with the plugs ;) They are made out of pure cocopeat so I cant do anything about it except keep it moist every day, wich is alot of extra work :P

WOW now I see what you mean about being crowded! that's quite the temporary solution ya got there though lol. Don't worry too much about the ones that didn't germinate, your trying to start 2 seeds of each so rates will be a bit lower than if you were starting 5 of each..Of those varieties, especially the madballz have some really low rates as it is.. I tried for 4 madballz and I just had my 2nd madballz pop.. I doubt the other 2 will. I'm sure you have some extra seeds so you can give the ones that didn't pop a 2nd shot ;) Good luck finding a crowding solution, if you have a south facing window or any well lit window for that matter. you could get a cheap T8 or T12 fixture , that along with the natural light will plenty enough to get them to plant out, just an idea anyway.

Lookin good dude
Brandon

WOW now I see what you mean about being crowded! that's quite the temporary solution ya got there though lol. Don't worry too much about the ones that didn't germinate, your trying to start 2 seeds of each so rates will be a bit lower than if you were starting 5 of each..Of those varieties, especially the madballz have some really low rates as it is.. I tried for 4 madballz and I just had my 2nd madballz pop.. I doubt the other 2 will. I'm sure you have some extra seeds so you can give the ones that didn't pop a 2nd shot ;) Good luck finding a crowding solution, if you have a south facing window or any well lit window for that matter. you could get a cheap T8 or T12 fixture , that along with the natural light will plenty enough to get them to plant out, just an idea anyway.

Lookin good dude
Brandon

Yeah, none of the MadballZ popped but I got 8 seeds left too try, I only need 1 too sprout :) I have a solution for the younglings but I cant make it yet because I have to finish something else first. I have 2x 125watt CFL 6400K lights and a south facing window, I only too finish the room before I can use it. Today the last of 2 SB7J's sprouted after 16 days, a welcome surprise.

Hello! It's time for another update after 24 days :P

Habanero Zavory and Habanero Yellow Bumpy
IMAG0195.jpg

In the front Habanero Tasmanian Chocolate F-1, behind that 2x Habanero Big Jamaican and next to it Habanero Long Chocolate.
IMAG0194.jpg

On the left Pimenta Leopard and to the right Habanero Big Sun
IMAG0193.jpg

IMAG0192.jpg

IMAG0191.jpg

Love the purple color on this little plant.
IMAG0190-1.jpg

The ones that were the last to germinate don't grow that well, not even their first set of real leaves after a week. If they don't shape up soon I will re-try those particular varieties.
The leaves have a strange color, a bit purple-brownish.
IMAG0187-1.jpg

IMAG0179-1.jpg

It's still crowded but they will have to wait another week before I can place them in my new growbox.
IMAG0177-1.jpg

This week my order of Chilli Focus came in, I'm good for the next couple of years :lol:
IMAG0198.jpg

So far I'm pretty satisfied with the progress of my plants, most of them are doing great and are growing really fast.

New update, most of my plants are doing great after almost 5 weeks. I moved the bigger ones into my propagator and left the small ones in the lightbox. Hopefully they will grow a bit better now they have more space.

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0230-1.jpg

IMAG0231-1.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

IMAG0233.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0235-1.jpg

IMAG0236.jpg

IMAG0237.jpg

IMAG0238.jpg

IMAG0241.jpg

IMAG0243.jpg

IMAG0244.jpg

IMAG0245-1.jpg

My 20 days old SB7J, still very small.
IMAG0246-1.jpg

I'm gonna need to repot the bigger ones soon because the roots are already coming out of the pot.

Thanks. I am gonna be planting some of those babies pretty soon, so it is good to get an idea on how they are growin.

They look great Meatfreak what are you feeding them or plan to feed them.

Thanks! I'm feeding them Chilli Focus together with a mixture of epsom salt every week on the same day.

Thanks. I am gonna be planting some of those babies pretty soon, so it is good to get an idea on how they are growin.

I saw pictures of them in PIC1 his topic and those were huge already so I'm thinking of sowing them again.

Back