• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2014 Glog

So I've started my grow a couple of weeks ago, 28th of January. I use the same setup as previous seasons, 2x 125watt CFL 6400K lights, black/white foil. First round were the Chinense, about 22 different varieties, mostly superhots and hots. Almost everything germinated within a week and with a total germ rate of 92% I was pretty pleased. I potted them up last week and they quickly showed new growth again. Well enough talk, this is what the plants looked like yesterday, 10 days after transplant and almost 4 weeks from start date.

IMAG3823_.jpg

IMAG3824_.jpg

Devil’s Tongue White (Jason/GA Growhead)
IMAG3825.jpg

This one is a beast, very rapid growth, big leaves and already branching out? Georgia Black (Jason/GA Growhead)
IMAG3828.jpg

IMAG3829.jpg

This season I'm growing out a couple of crosses from friends like Gary/Nagabrain Chocolate F-2, Mike/Elysium Oxide Bonnet and Jamie/Green Hornet F-2. Also some phenotypes that showed up at John's garden, 7 Pot Peach F-2 and 7 Pot Caramel F-2. Of course I'm also growing my own discovery from last season, Pimenta Lisa F-2. Got 2 seedlings going, one has the desired traits so far and the other one is green as grass. Looking forward to growing both out!

Last weekend I started up the second round, mostly Annuum and some Chinense I got in trades these last few weeks. Today the the first ones sprouted after merely 3 days and even Chinense! Well that's it for now, thanks for keeping up so far :D

OCD Chilehead said:
Very nice pictures Stefan. Great pulls. Those Scotch Brain's really stand out. Awesome looking peppers.

Thanks for sharing.
JoeFish said:

Damn those things are AWESOME!  if you need more growers HOLLA at ME!  
HillBilly Jeff said:
Scotch brains are killer looking.  Excellent pods all the way around.
Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Really love this time of year seeing all the bountiful harvests and beautiful photography.  I agree with everybody posts before me those Scotch Brains look killer with good traits from both parents.  Can't wait to try this pepper.  Props for crossing these two and getting this pod as a result very nice Stephen.
Thanks all! The Scotch Brain's are indeed an beautiful creation. However it's not mine, it's a Greg (PIC1) creation. I'm just helping out with PR :P no I'm kidding, when I grew them last year I felt in love with it because of it's shape but also because of the taste. To me it's one of the best tasting peppers that's out there. Last year the plants stayed small but this year they are loaded so I will have more then enough seeds available. My personal goal for this cross would be to get an plant that produces only pods like the 3 scotch bonnet shaped ones. So far all 3 plants are putting out both shapes that are shown on the pictures. Maybe with more people growing this variety next season this will happen.

stickman said:
Glad to see your BOC pods are ripening up Stefan... mine are still hanging fire here, as are the Pimenta Lisas. This week is warming up somewhat, so hopefully it'll help them ripen here. Take care bro'
It's only the first 3 pods, Rick. The rest was formed later and since temps have been bad, I don't expect those to ripen anymore :( Although you never know.

Just checked my notes. The pods was formed on 13-7, started showing color on 18-8 and it's almost completely colored I suspect.
Been 3 days since I've visited the garden. So that's 7 to 8 weeks from forming to ripe :)

I've seen the picture of your pod, it's starting to change color already so it will need another 3 weeks. You will get that one ripe. When does your season ends, October?

PIC 1 said:
Very nice.......great photos with captions !

I like those "Spinning Wheels of Fire"

Thanks, Greg! Thank you for sharing your creation, been a blast growing and eating it :) Spinning Wheels of Fire is what I'm aiming for :D

Essegi said:
I add my praises for scotch brains, always a beauty to behold!
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Awesome grow, pods and pictures! Great selection.
Thanks guys, pictures are okay but not as beautiful as the pictures you guys take! Maybe need to invest in a real camera next year (first need to save some money for it).

romy6 said:
 Amazing pics and harvest Stefan . And that green hornet look ready to eat to me 
:cheers: cheers bro. I will leave it on the plant till the next harvest, unless it gets to soft. Got more then enough to process for now and I also have loads of tomatoes waiting for me to get processed before the fall of the plants.

Sluggy said:
Zo, dat is niet verkeerd.  Goed werk ! 

VEry nice ! 
Thanks, Tony! I can take some fresh Scotch Brain for you to try on DCF? ;)

JoeFish said:

I would go mad if I hadn't been in my garden in 3 days! :crazy:

Don't have a choice and it's actually better. You get more surprised by the progress of the plants and pods. Otherwise you focus to much on it and can get frustrated by it. Thinking it's not going fast enough ;)
Today we finally had a sunny, warmer and dry day again. Plants loved it and I saw some varieties that finally are showing color.

Interesting ! 

If the strains were pure all of it's offspring should be yellow then. 

I've tried to cross-pollenate a haba peach and a BS myself.  We'll see next season if it worked.  If you would like seeds holla. 

Sluggy said:
Interesting ! 

If the strains were pure all of it's offspring should be yellow then. 

I've tried to cross-pollenate a haba peach and a BS myself.  We'll see next season if it worked.  If you would like seeds holla. 

Knowing Greg, I'm sure both strains were pure. For an F3 it already looks pretty consistent in podshape, there's the 2 different podshapes shown on previous pictures that all 3 plants have.
Thanks for the offer but I already got more then enough projects going for next season :) Been busy this season ;) But do keep us updated about your progress!

It's time to give the plants a cutback since the pods that are being formed passed now won't ripen of in time.
IMAG5204.jpg

Wow! that's quite the jungle you've got going in the hoophouse Stefan! Topping plants at the end of the season to encourage ripening of the pods is something I haven't tried yet, so I'll be curious to see how that works out for you. Please post lots of pics of the topped plants!

stickman said:
Wow! that's quite the jungle you've got going in the hoophouse Stefan! Topping plants at the end of the season to encourage ripening of the pods is something I haven't tried yet, so I'll be curious to see how that works out for you. Please post lots of pics of the topped plants!
Not sure if I will get to it but I will focus more on the Chinense then the Annuum. Most unripe Annuum I'm growing are useful to me as well so I won't bother topping and stripping those. Once I'm back from an short vacation I will need to process the last remaining maters first ;)

Back