• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2014

Thought I'd start a new glog as my 1st year grow plants have now gone, and all remaining plants are intended for the 2014 season. Currently have growing with hopes of keeping through winter-
Yellow bhut jolokia
Brain strain
Aji limon
Chocolate Trinidad scorpion
Fatalii
Black Hungarian
Chinese 5 colour.
Have all healthy plants bar 1 out of 6 inch pots and in either permanent or semi permanent homes. Due to messing up the labels I'm not sure which is which on the Chinense varieties. Have 1 seedling that was seriously struggling, but it's starting to throw out new leaves so there's hope for it yet. Hoping we either have a mild Winter here, or I can get some lights set up in our spare bedroom to get them through until Spring. Have a few more varieties I have yet to plant, but thinking I may wait til the end of January to start those seeds. 

Anyway, enough babbling. On to some pics!
Green pot is an Aji Limon, bag TBD Chinense, Venus fly trap and pitcher plant on the cooler in the back, cayenne I'm trying to decide whether to OW or not in the red pot and some cilantro in the cup
20131106_163644.jpg

Another couple of TBD Chinense's and the struggling seedling that's popping back (over watering was the cause I think)
20131106_163652.jpg

Chinese 5 colour and 2 more Chinense's
20131106_163700.jpg

Aloe vera and a couple of strawberries for my wife
20131106_163719.jpg

More tbd Chinense's
20131106_163739.jpg

Black Hungarian (already putting out flower buds that are getting pinched off for now)
20131106_163752.jpg

Last 2 Chinense's
20131106_163800.jpg

HillBilly Jeff said:
If you haven't grown the black hungarian before, you will like it.  Once they turn that dark reddish purple color they're the best IMO
I've tried the Hungarian before and loved it, but this is my first time growing it. And if I remember correctly these seeds came from peppers I got in an sfrb from you in a giveaway you did for newbies last year. 
PaulG said:
You are rolling now, buddy!
Thanks Paul! Loving the bigger light set up. All the sprouts are growing straight up now instead of turning inwards like they were under the single bulb units. 

Separated the seedlings that had multiple plants per cell and moved them up to solo cups with some Fox Farm Light Warrior. Wanted to get these one's separated so as to avoid having the roots tangle up. Planning on doing the rest when they get some true leaves out. Moved up 4 Safi red habs, 2 CGN21500's and 2 Jamaican yellow mushrooms. 
20140119_131029.jpg
20140119_131034.jpg

20140119_131038.jpg

20140119_131025.jpg

maximumcapsicum said:
Very nice little guys! Nice, fat little cotyledons. Looks like you're kicking it into high gear!

Jeff H said:
The seedlings look great so far. Gratz on getting them separated without killing any.
Thanks Jeff. So far so good.

maximumcapsicum said:
Very nice little guys! Nice, fat little cotyledons. Looks like you're kicking it into high gear!
Thanks MC. They're definitely loving the new lights! Once these one's get big enough they'll go in the greenhouse, then it'll be time to start some tomatoes. Definitely kicking into high gear for sure.

Quick question regarding fertilizing for the sprouts.  Most either have at least 1 set of true leaves, and the one's that don't are close to having them. Should I continue just watering them with plain water or should I give them some diluted seaweed extract or fish emulsion every now and then? 

Seedlings are still going strong. Looking to move the ones still in the seed starter tray into solo cups on my next weekend off. 
DSCF0215.JPG

DSCF0216.JPG

DSCF0217.JPG

DSCF0218.JPG

Outside plants are looking great. All but the smallest plants are pushing out buds, with some flowers opening already. Hopefully pods won't be too far away!  :dance:
DSCF0219.JPG

DSCF0220.JPG

DSCF0221.JPG

DSCF0222.JPG

MeatHead1313 said:
Quick question regarding fertilizing for the sprouts.  Most either have at least 1 set of true leaves, and the one's that don't are close to having them. Should I continue just watering them with plain water or should I give them some diluted seaweed extract or fish emulsion every now and then? 
I like to use 1/2 strength seaweed extract, in fact 1/3-1/2 anything until they have some size. They usually get nothing until pencil size trunk unless they look scrawny. I do start with the seaweed first.Even when full size I prefer 1/2 strength and twice as often versus full strength. My feelings are once over fertilized, one can't take that back..
Plants are looking stellar!

I forget...do they stay in pots, or go to dirt?

Keep doing what you're doing!

Devv said:
I like to use 1/2 strength seaweed extract, in fact 1/3-1/2 anything until they have some size. They usually get nothing until pencil size trunk unless they look scrawny. I do start with the seaweed first.Even when full size I prefer 1/2 strength and twice as often versus full strength. My feelings are once over fertilized, one can't take that back..

Plants are looking stellar!

I forget...do they stay in pots, or go to dirt?

Keep doing what you're doing!
Thanks for the info Devv. Think I'll do 1/3 strength then and see how they react. If they like it I'll keep it like that til they get bigger then go up to 1/2 strength. 
At the moment all will be staying in pots, but if I can start a garden at my wife's Church I'll put a few in the ground there. Supposed to meet with the Pastor on Sunday to discuss it so will know more then. 

Wow electric just cycled twice, crashed the music server...OK now 3 times. Glad this is a laptop..don't know if it's wind, or load, sounds like we're at the ocean and it's rough, with all the wind. I'm sure you're experiencing the same where you are...

OK back on track, yeah easily distracted.

Hope you get that space!

Devv said:
Wow electric just cycled twice, crashed the music server...OK now 3 times. Glad this is a laptop..don't know if it's wind, or load, sounds like we're at the ocean and it's rough, with all the wind. I'm sure you're experiencing the same where you are...

OK back on track, yeah easily distracted.

Hope you get that space!
Yeah the winds picking up here too. Predicting possible snow for tonight here as well which is extremely rare.
Hoping I get it too. Will definitely ease some space issues at home for sure.

The crazy weather reached down here today. Thankfully the greenhouses and heaters held up during the freezing rain and sleet we had all day. 
I know this is nothing to anyone further north but coming from Brisbane and living in Louisiana this is new for me. Took my wife's car to work today as she got the day off because of the weather, and I need new tires on my truck. This is what it looked like when I finished work and having run the heater for half an hour-
20140124_162858.jpg

20140124_162907.jpg

Even after smoking some sausage at work today we still had some nice icicles hanging off the roof of the smokehouse
20140124_123808.jpg

Typical Louisiana weather is supposed to be back tomorrow. Predicted to get back up to 60 tomorrow and 63 on Sunday. 

Transplants and grown-ups looking good, Chris.
Good luck getting everything to maturity.

Nice little ice storm there!

PaulG said:
Transplants and grown-ups looking good, Chris.
Good luck getting everything to maturity.

Nice little ice storm there!
Thanks Paul. To say I'm impressed with the T5's is an understatement. Need to dial in the temps a bit better for the greenhouse though. Bought a digital thermometer that records the max and min temps each day and it's fluctuating between 40's and 90's. That probably explains the flower drop I've had so far. Either way the outside plants will be raring to go come Spring.
The little ice storm really came out of nowhere. They had nothing besides cold temps (for here) predicted for the last week, then all of a sudden yesterday afternoon they had warnings up. Possibly have more coming Tuesday. Extremely unusual for down here.

Back