• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2014

Thought I'd start a new glog as my 1st year grow plants have now gone, and all remaining plants are intended for the 2014 season. Currently have growing with hopes of keeping through winter-
Yellow bhut jolokia
Brain strain
Aji limon
Chocolate Trinidad scorpion
Fatalii
Black Hungarian
Chinese 5 colour.
Have all healthy plants bar 1 out of 6 inch pots and in either permanent or semi permanent homes. Due to messing up the labels I'm not sure which is which on the Chinense varieties. Have 1 seedling that was seriously struggling, but it's starting to throw out new leaves so there's hope for it yet. Hoping we either have a mild Winter here, or I can get some lights set up in our spare bedroom to get them through until Spring. Have a few more varieties I have yet to plant, but thinking I may wait til the end of January to start those seeds. 

Anyway, enough babbling. On to some pics!
Green pot is an Aji Limon, bag TBD Chinense, Venus fly trap and pitcher plant on the cooler in the back, cayenne I'm trying to decide whether to OW or not in the red pot and some cilantro in the cup
20131106_163644.jpg

Another couple of TBD Chinense's and the struggling seedling that's popping back (over watering was the cause I think)
20131106_163652.jpg

Chinese 5 colour and 2 more Chinense's
20131106_163700.jpg

Aloe vera and a couple of strawberries for my wife
20131106_163719.jpg

More tbd Chinense's
20131106_163739.jpg

Black Hungarian (already putting out flower buds that are getting pinched off for now)
20131106_163752.jpg

Last 2 Chinense's
20131106_163800.jpg

Sorry about the plant. Last year when we traveled my daughter inlaw made sure thing in the garden were OK. I found a few broken plants, telling me the 3 year old followed her ;)

Quick update for today.
Got me a nice little snack I munched on while getting dinner ready
20140518_141753.jpg

This was an aji pineapple flower yesterday. Hopefully it stays set and doesn't drop
20140518_153239.jpg

Hard to see but I have my first bhut jolokia pod set!
20140518_153322.jpg

Tonight's dinner (and tomorrows lunch as well). 2 nice big racks of baby back ribs
20140518_193312.jpg

Rookie question time. Seeing as this is my first year growing any of these varieties (other than the jalapeno), I have a quick question for anyone that has experience growing scorpions. Is it usual for a plant to have different shaped pods? Some of my pods have beautiful scorpion shapes and tails, and others seem more bhut like. Not sure if this is normal for scorps or not.
20140519_184422.jpg

I have no idea what so ever on what this plant is. The scorpion shaped pods had me certain it was a chocolate scorpion, but the bhut/fatalii shaped pods have thrown me off a bit. Came home this afternoon to find something else to throw me on it. Looks like one of the pods is starting to turn yellow
20140520_172210.jpg

MoA pods are growing nicely
20140520_172248.jpg
''

Also have pods forming on my second MoA plant
20140520_172903.jpg

CAP215's are putting out some nice new growth after being potted up
20140520_172315.jpg

20140520_172344.jpg

20140520_172358.jpg

SAFI red hab is podding up nicely now
20140520_172546.jpg

Still (im)patiently waiting for this one to ripen
20140520_172556.jpg

Got our first Manx marvel tomatoes forming
20140520_172615.jpg

I have pods forming on all my overwinter plants now. Most are still small, but most plants are podding up nicely
20140520_172725.jpg

That's it for now. More after a bump

thirdcoasttx said:
Bump! Im curious to see the outcome of those Scorpion/mistery pods!
Thanks! I still think it's a scorpion, but may not be a chocolate like it's supposed to be. If it's a yellow scorp I'll be happy there too. I tend to prefer yellow pods to brown/chocolate anyway.

Looks like I may have my first pod starting to ripen on the unknown Mexican
20140520_181145.jpg

Bumblebee on the Veronica
20140520_181233.jpg

My nardello's. Need to put the other plant in with these to keep them all together
20140520_172234.jpg

New pitcher's on my pitcher plant
20140520_184821.jpg

New growth on my Venus fly trap
20140520_184838.jpg

Is this the beginning of a blossom on a sunflower? 
20140520_185220.jpg

That's it for today. Thanks for stopping by!

JJJessee said:
Lookin' good.
And make that an awesome on the MoAs.

I grew a chocolate scorpion last year that I think was true, but I don't recall a yellow phase.
Thanks JJJ! I've definitely learned from my labelling mistakes from last year. If it's a yellow instead of chocolate I'll still be happy. I love yellow pods!

I wasn't impressed with anything chocolate last year as fresh, but someone said chocs are best in powder so I may return to them.
Yellow taste good on any super I've tried.

JJJessee said:
I wasn't impressed with anything chocolate last year as fresh, but someone said chocs are best in powder so I may return to them.
Yellow taste good on any super I've tried.
I'm pretty much the same way. The only chocolates I enjoyed fresh that I tried last year were black naga and brown 7 pot. I did enjoy them as both fresh and smoked powder though. 
This plant definitely has me perplexed. The one pod that's ripening is definitely turning yellow, and if it had only the bhut/fatalii shaped pods I'd say it was either a yellow bhut or fatalii. The scorpion shaped pods have me stumped as to what it really is. Whatever it is I hope it's tasty!
20140521_175800.jpg

Great looking pods man. Wish I could help you with the scorpion/bhut, but I can say my bhuts have a range of pod shapes. In pics I've seen, the scorps, morugas, and 7 pots all seem to have a range. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

I'll say your container plantings look great. I have yet to get strong growth from my container plants. I think I need to add more air to my mixes; most of the pots I see on THP look like they have 1/3 or so of perlite, no telling how much vermiculite. Things to know for the future...

Keep growin!

maximumcapsicum said:
Great looking pods man. Wish I could help you with the scorpion/bhut, but I can say my bhuts have a range of pod shapes. In pics I've seen, the scorps, morugas, and 7 pots all seem to have a range. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

I'll say your container plantings look great. I have yet to get strong growth from my container plants. I think I need to add more air to my mixes; most of the pots I see on THP look like they have 1/3 or so of perlite, no telling how much vermiculite. Things to know for the future...

Keep growin!
Thanks Adam! I'm thinking I may just stop worrying about what the OW's actually are, and just enjoy what they put out. I love yellow pods, so if the rest stay yellow that's a win!
I'm not 100% on proper aeration ratios. My OW's are still in the miracle gro I planted them in last year, and other than the few plants I have in either Happy Frog or Ocean Forest, most are now in my own mix. I'm using roughly 1/3 perlite for mine, and they seem to be loving it. Only problem I've encountered is the perlite tends to float, so the tops of the containers end up  being all perlite, which for me at least likes to turn an ugly yellow colour. I really need to get some mulch down to help cover that and help retain a little water, especially with my holiday coming up.

Looking good Meathead!  Hard to say what that mystery pod is.  For the past three years every scorpion I've grown  had a couple different shapes to them.  My chocolate scorps last year had some not scorpion like pods early in the year and some really nice scorpion shapes to them after the first round of blooms.  They most def went from green to brown tho.  Do you remember if the seeds you planted were OP or true?  I'll have to look for a pic of my choc scorps from last year for ya.  Might take a while to find one tho.  

Jamison said:
Looking good Meathead!  Hard to say what that mystery pod is.  For the past three years every scorpion I've grown  had a couple different shapes to them.  My chocolate scorps last year had some not scorpion like pods early in the year and some really nice scorpion shapes to them after the first round of blooms.  They most def went from green to brown tho.  Do you remember if the seeds you planted were OP or true?  I'll have to look for a pic of my choc scorps from last year for ya.  Might take a while to find one tho.  
I have no idea if they were OP or true. All my OW plants came from seeds I received from seacowboy shortly after I joined THP last year, and most were from other members via him. I just checked my seed stash, and don't have the chocolate scorpion bag anymore so not sure where they originally came from. It's also entirely possible that plants not even a scorpion due to my labelling screw up lol. Though the only 2 yellow plants I sowed from those seeds were fatalii and yellow bhut, and I have no idea if there's a chance they could throw a few odd scorpion shaped pods being my first time growing these. 

Back