• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food Mmmmmm...poppers!

they look great Dillo'....but, but, but....how did they taste?

AlabamaJack said:
they look great Dillo'....but, but, but....how did they taste?

They were great. A bit bland of course but a lot of flavor. The sugar of the sweet peppers kinda caramelized in the oven, the rats turd powder only added a bit of heat but no flavor. The Franziskaner gave a nice twist to the stuffing. The kids loved'em.

Well, ya made me do it what with alll these yummy pix, so Beware....

Quad's Ultimate Surf 'n Turf JalaBanaro Beer-Battered Poppers are coming... :twisted:

Quad's Ultimate Surf 'n Turf JalaBanaro Beer-Battered Poppers

Ok folks, here she is. :-)

Had a couple oopsie moments, possibly beer related, but ended up tasty as hell.

I took and mixed together:

mock crab, shredded monterey jack, about a tbls of cream cheese, a shot of sriracha, 3 minced orange habs, a mooshifyed clove of garlic, seafood seasoning, kosher salt & black pepper, chipotle powder, and cayenne powder.

Scooped out some bigazz Jalapenos, filled with the mixture.

S6302604.JPG

Then, I realized I didn't have bacon..aieee!

So, I used Roast Beef instead. :-D

S6302607.JPG

Now, I'd planned to deep fry these in beer batter...here's that:

S6302598.JPG

Basically used this recipe, and messed with it fro a smaller amount. Added pepper and cayenne.

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup beer
1 egg

Mix flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl using a fork. Beat beer, egg and oil together in a separate bowl. Stir into flour mixture until well blended.
Batter should be pretty smooth and moderately thick.

I threw in some breadcrumbs to make it a bit less creamy.

Tada:

S6302599.JPG

To be continued...

Ok, got that all done.

THEN, when I went to heeat up some oil, discovered that my long-ignored canola oil had gone bad, and I didn't have much anything else.. Crap!!

SO, I pondered that over the remaining PBR...decided to bake 'em anyways.

The breading worked out in a bisquiky-sorta way, but mostly held together..when about done I topped with 36-month-old sharp cheddar, some cayenne powder fro color and let melt.

S6302609.JPG

Not bad at all. :D

S6302611.JPG

S6302614.JPG

May not look too fantastic, but sure tastes pretty damn good.

Cheers,

QS

Very nicely created poppers QS. All those stumbling blocks, and still delectable goodness ensues! Like they say, when God gives you lemons, PAINT THAT SHIT GOLD!!! HAHA

And a PBR to boot. I too have partaken in it's serendipitous wonder this evening. Keep fighting the good fight my friend. Great lookin eats!

Thx man, it all worked out pretty good. The roast beast was actually pretty amazing with the chiles and the crab stuff.

A Bummer about the breading, but it wasnt too bad. :D

Oh, and the bit of extra filling I had left made awesome Quesadillas. :)

Wow! This looks extremely awesome, QS! I love those "let's-see-what's-in-the-fridge"-meals. Sometimes they come out better than what's in grandma's cookbook.

Let's keep this thread alive!

With all these new contestants, I must come up with something new and amazing. I am thinking BBQ Rib Poppers... Stay tuned.

JayT...I'm working on the Grand Opus of Poppers as we speak. Maybe Friday night if we can get Impy and everyone else we'll have a popper shootout!

:loads habanero's into clip for the AK:

Cheers, TB.

rainbowberry said:
I must be a bit drunk on my day off, I read that as I am thinking BBQ Rb Poppers, nevermind.

Wrong thread. Go to The Drunken Chef thread.

We would never BBQ you RB. The sauce would be too sweet. And just so you know, I would never use cheap pickup lines on you while you are drunk. (BTW I like your hair in your avatar)

Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
JayT...I'm working on the Grand Opus of Poppers as we speak. Maybe Friday night if we can get Impy and everyone else we'll have a popper shootout!

:loads habanero's into clip for the AK:

Cheers, TB.

It's on! :hell: RB I said R-I-B Poppers, but I'm sure RB poppers would be exceptional. We are still waiting for you to make you grand entrance into our popper making world...

texas blues said:
Wrong thread. Go to The Drunken Chef thread.

We would never BBQ you RB. The sauce would be too sweet. And just so you know, I would never use cheap pickup lines on you while you are drunk. (BTW I like your hair in your avatar)

Cheers, TB.

LOL, I might be hot too. That avatar is old now, my hair doesn't look like that now, more like this

11032009527-1-1.jpg

Actually from today after I had it cut it's even shorter. I've never had anyone use a chat up line on me anyway. Have I just hi-jacked this thread 100%? I think so.

And you've painted your room pink!

rainbowberry said:
LOL, I might be hot too. That avatar is old now, my hair doesn't look like that now, more like this

11032009527-1-1.jpg

Actually from today after I had it cut it's even shorter. I've never had anyone use a chat up line on me anyway. Have I just hi-jacked this thread 100%? I think so.

I think RB is actually a Muppet. Just like Kermit and the rest of them, we never actully get to see anything from elbow down in her pics.

Back