• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Mmmmmm...poppers!

Hey ya'll once again from the big dry ditch in Las Vegas. I was going to grill today but ahhh...a little too hot once again. Maybe tomorrow will be more appropos. My gal had bought some very nice ground beef to make some sliders but she changed her mind as usual and opted instead for spinach/cheese ravioli with garlic cream sauce instead. Of course I was enlisted to do the cooking. So what to do with the ground beef? I have peppers. I have cheese. Duh..como se dice en espanol....poppers!!
Ground beef, japs, 4 cheese Mexi mix, shallots, Lawry's and fresh ground pepper. Here tis. Notice the melon ball tool I use to deseed. Works perfect.
0020.jpg

The mix.
0021.jpg

Stuffed.
0022.jpg

0029.jpg

Have a great holiday ya'll....and cheers!!! Texas Bluesman

I have been promising some popper pics for a while so here they are. First of all, the big ones, I have no idea what they are. Pretty mild, but great for holding lots of popper goodies. The rest are fatalii, red hab, and red jalapeno. All are filled with a queso made with ground beef, cheddar, pepperjack, fatalii, bhut, and jalapeno. They are then double wrapped in thick cut bacon and sprinkled with HBD's Storyville Cajun Blend.

100_9712.jpg

100_9714.jpg

100_9718.jpg

100_9719.jpg

Please disregard the Wild Boar Ribs in the center. Nothing to see here... :lol:

And so the chaos begins. mrs. blues had some leftover turkey taco meat she asked me to use up. (she won't eat leftovers) Just so happens I had some fresno's and 'peno's that needed to go away. Alrighty then, poppers of course. Rolled down the street to pic up a few things at the local Try-N-Save. Strolled in and as usual the local sushi monger hit me up for samples. I always refuse as I don't feel right about not buying something from somebody while stuffing my pie hole for free. This time though, Wasabi-San had some little mudbug sushi rolls with what I recognized very quickly as a sweet thai chile aioli. Hot 'dang that was tasty. Okay then, gimme' a pack of that. Fast forward to The Blues Kitchen. I snack on a couple of these little morsels of buggy love and toss them in the fridge. Then I thought, WAIT! I need to use up the chile's and I was gonna' have poppers. Well sushi is not the best served the next day so what to do? Open the fridge and stare into the abyss. mrs. blues does this all the time, like the crap in there is gonna' rearrange itself and a piping hot pizza is gonna' pop out of the meat drawer.

Okay, I got some chevre that needs to be used up. Crap, I don't feel like leftover turkey. I don't even like turkey. Then I had an epiphany. Mudbug sushi goat cheese poppers! A crazy idea. Crazy.

"Chef Special" usually means "we can't sell it but you look like a sucker..." I fell for it.

IMG_3235.jpg

Tasted pretty dang good but look oh so greezy.

IMG_3236.jpg

Get the little bastards in a bowl with the chevre. After this shot I added some mae ploy and sriracha to loosen it up a bit.

IMG_3237.jpg

That's right. Seaweed and all went into the stuffing. So good I was shoveling in my mouth so much I thought I'd run out before stuffing all the chile's.

IMG_3238.jpg

In-N-Out of the 400f oven.

IMG_3240.jpg

A little dipping sauce of mae ploy, sriracha and fine diced green oh's. Outstanding!

IMG_3241.jpg

This was a one off folks but just shows that you can make poppers out of anything.

Peace ya'll.

Wax on. Wax off.
Breathe.
Paint Fence.
Sand Floor.
Crane Kick to Johnny's pansy-ass Cobra Kai face!!!!

Hot damn, TB. You are a master of the popper.
I don't think we've seen anything that ambitious in this thread in years!!!! Amazing!

TB I'm about to jump into my car and hit your neck of the woods. :rofl: I got mu weapons ready to chow
91.gif
I'll bring kifflas
bc9.gif

Hey ya'll, opened up the fridge and that dang leftover turkey taco meat of mrs. blues was still in there. It just sat there winking at me. Well, I reckon I'm not one to be defeated by food and don't like to waste it. I also had some more jalapeno's that needed to be used up. How strange that is. I always have 'peno's that need to be used up. I never don't have any. I need to talk to the fool that does my shopping.

Turkey, some kind of mrs. blues taco seasoning and black olive mix. I added some shredded cheese and green oh's.

IMG_3243.jpg

Whirred and stirred, then whacked and hacked on some 'peno's, puff n' stuff and I-N-OUT of the 400f oven.
I used Black Betty 2 days in a row. That's crazy ya'll. Crazy.

IMG_3245.jpg

They were smelling pretty good but looking rather anemic and forlorn. My go to problem solver for all of life's mysteries..QUESO!

Added about 3 lines of hungarian hot paprika for no dang reason...

IMG_3246.jpg

Taco meat goes down in a crushing defeat by queso.

IMG_3249.jpg

Next up: Back to the fridge for a stare down with 2 zucchini's.

Too YUM! You got me all inspired to make poppers last night, but they got et before I could find the camera. I'm into a sweet-hot kind of thing right now, but it still needs tweaking. You gotta tell what you end up doing with that zucchini!!!!! I have some lurking in my fridge too, and Scovie's starting to not trust my dinners because there always seems to be some zucchini hidden in them! Kind of the Where's Waldo of the squash persuasion!

Hey ya'll, opened up the fridge and that dang leftover turkey taco meat of mrs. blues was still in there. It just sat there winking at me. Well, I reckon I'm not one to be defeated by food and don't like to waste it. I also had some more jalapeno's that needed to be used up. How strange that is. I always have 'peno's that need to be used up. I never don't have any. I need to talk to the fool that does my shopping.

Turkey, some kind of mrs. blues taco seasoning and black olive mix. I added some shredded cheese and green oh's.

IMG_3243.jpg

Whirred and stirred, then whacked and hacked on some 'peno's, puff n' stuff and I-N-OUT of the 400f oven.
I used Black Betty 2 days in a row. That's crazy ya'll. Crazy.

IMG_3245.jpg

They were smelling pretty good but looking rather anemic and forlorn. My go to problem solver for all of life's mysteries..QUESO!

Added about 3 lines of hungarian hot paprika for no dang reason...

IMG_3246.jpg

Taco meat goes down in a crushing defeat by queso.

IMG_3249.jpg

Next up: Back to the fridge for a stare down with 2 zucchini's.

Hop diggidy Dawg. Them there buggers put my recent little soiree into the popper world to shame!! Put saran-wrap over that whole thing and hang it on the wall !!

It is all your fault that I have jumped on this popper’s train :lol:

Here are mine stuffed with potatoes. :lol: Didn't have any jalapenos but these little felas did just fine. :)

DSC02483.jpg

DSC02484.jpg

DSC02489.jpg

Time to
91.gif

Have mercy Ela! You didn't just hop on the popper train, you kicked it right in the caboose! Looks like a potato popper pizza pie. Outstanding!

Alright I've been lurking in this thread long enough. I was looking at all the pics and got a major craving for some poppers. Well I was in luck tonight. My wife and daughter are out on a "girl's night" so I was free to make whatever I wanted. However, I didn't feel like running to the grocery store to get ingredients, so I decided I'd see what I could throw together from what we have in the house. I decided to make mac-n-cheese, andouille sausage, pobalano poppers. I gotta have heat in it so I looked through what I had left (not much sadly) and I decided to go with my last hab, 3 jalapenos, and a generous amount of bhut jolokia flakes. Basically I just made the mac-n-cheese added the andouille, finely chopped up the peppers, and sprinkled in some bhut flakes, then finally spoon it out on the cooked peppers, top with cheese and broil until the cheese melts. The result is what you see below. Oh yeah, forgive me for the bad quality pics, my wife has our camera with her so that left me with the crappy camera on my phone.

And yes, it was absolutely frickin wonderful!

Photo0039.jpg

Photo0040.jpg

Photo0041.jpg

Photo0042.jpg

ingredients...and no didnt use all that bacon. I used just some of the seasoning plus another seasoning not in pic which was mccormick garlic/onion grillmate seasoning.I'm just messing around with seasoning flavors with poppers.

100_7861.jpg

popper stuffing mix

100_7867.jpg

poppers w/added cheese on top.....done

100_7868.jpg

the meal....10 hab poppers and rice/beans with beer.

100_7876.jpg

Dude, COMP, you got no feedback on the mac and cheese sausage poppers!! AWESOME job!! Glad you joined the party!! what else you got?!!

CH..I've done shrimp poppers before and I didn't like them...BUT, they didnt look NEARLY as awesome as yours do!! I'd eat that in a heartbeat! Great job! Cant wait to see what you do next!

Keep it comin y'all!!

FD

CH..I've done shrimp poppers before and I didn't like them...BUT, they didnt look NEARLY as awesome as yours do!! I'd eat that in a heartbeat! Great job! Cant wait to see what you do next.

shrimp in poppers...IMO doesnt add alot of flavor to poppers, unless you place a whole shrimp in each chile pod. though shrimp in poppers add a unique good flavor to poppers...I'd say great but if you add bacon it kinda cancels the shrimp flavor out but still a good filler to use.

shrimp in poppers...IMO doesnt add alot of flavor to poppers, unless you place a whole shrimp in each chile pod. though shrimp in poppers add a unique good flavor to poppers...I'd say great but if you add bacon it kinda cancels the shrimp flavor out but still a good filler to use.

So what you're saying is...
Shrimp in poppers;

1. No flavor
2. ...But flavor if you add a whole shrimp
3. ...it adds a "unique" flavor
4. Shrimp in poppers is "Great"
5. ...Unless you add bacon, which cancels out the shrimp (I can't do bacon vs. shrimp math)
6. Ultimately. shrimp is a good popper filler.

I couldn't agree more!!

:)

So what you're saying is...
Shrimp in poppers;

1. No flavor
2. ...But flavor if you add a whole shrimp
3. ...it adds a "unique" flavor
4. Shrimp in poppers is "Great"
5. ...Unless you add bacon, which cancels out the shrimp (I can't do bacon vs. shrimp math)
6. Ultimately. shrimp is a good popper filler.

I couldn't agree more!!

:)

I'm too drunk to figure out what I & you said....so I'm just gonna say....YEP! :drunk: :lol:

Back