• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

my cheap diy led light box

Dave,

I would suggest you get the plants a lot closer to the lights. I keep the top of mine within 1/2" under the 14-watt panel and 8" under the 45-watt one. It doesn't seem to slow down the initial growth of "legs" but it will the after that spurt.

Mike

not box heat from the lights and no other heat source other than the temp inside the house! The strong will survive and the weak will perish

Dave,

Are those lights actually LEDs or, are they the mini incandescents?

For that matter, anyone care to comment on whether mini incandescents would work for this purpose?

choctlab said:
Dave,

For that matter, anyone care to comment on whether mini incandescents would work for this purpose?

Like Christmas bulbs??:)

Davetaylor said:
things have been in the box for nearly 3 weeks now and nothing has died.
The lettuces are doing well too

Cool!

How are they doing by now? Pictures por favor! :) Hope there is enough light in those 80 LED`s!

Good luck!

here they are as of about an hour ago
3 weeks in the box on sunday

20112008289yr0.jpg

Davetaylor said:
not box heat from the lights and no other heat source other than the temp inside the house! The strong will survive and the weak will perish

AMEN!
Might have to ease on into walmart for the after xmas sale!

choctlab said:
Dave,

A string or two of the incandescent Christmas lights inside a box which is lined with a reflective material (maybe even aluminum foil) might be bright enough and would produce heat as well. This is very interesting...cost effective and easy to do. Would blue and red bulbs make a difference? Or would white ones be best? How much power would they use if they were running none stop for 3 or 4 months (January-May)...?

I have seen this done a certain hemp forum in the U.K and the guys had to increase there number of L.E.D`S TO over 200 per panel to get a good growth spurt,3 weeks they look healthy but have not grown anymore than a plant under window conditions and normal light,You need a light meter to check exactly what your throwing at the seedlings :hell:

Back