• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hydroponic My hydroponic project: 1st attempt, follow along :)

Txclosetgrower said:
K bear with me- I decided to go with a fixed lid DWC system instead of the floating raft simply because I couldn't locate suitable foam:
1 badass jack o' pepper for moral support

Yay! I didn't like the floating idea. It was too simple. This is great.
Good job!

Tx,

Great instructions. The only thing I did different was I drilled a hole on the side of the container rather than having to go through three layers of plastic.

Mike

very nice man looks great!!!!! you should try ebb and flow system way cool and easy .... someone said fish tank!!!! you could do a Aquaponics system, which is fish and veggies, you use the fish crap to feed your plants... i have a web site i goto and read about this stuff looks really fun to me !!!

3002881070_540bde61a5_o.jpg

First little "n" shaped hump poking out, expect to see leaves by the time i get home :D

Looks great, can't wait for my first seedlings to look like that in a few months! Keep us posted about your project, looks promising!

3013146615_dc1a1b91cb_o.jpg

Seedlings quit stretching and turned red underneath the new fluorescents. Fucking cat ate one while i had the lid off and my back turned....oh well that's why I planted 2 extra.

looks good, i have the same problems with my cats.... i don't know why but fresh greens in the fall/winter are really appealaing to them...

3022726408_1059a1c622_o.jpg

First true leaves are now larger than seed leaves. Pretty good roots coming out the bottom as well, I'm having to pick up the adjacent rockwool cubes daily to keep the roots from each plant from growing into the other plants' cubes.

I couldn't find 3 way elbows for the corners so I had to improvise w/ T connectors & 90* elbows. I'm going to cover the frame with panda plastic and install ventilation fans soon.
3044574809_33a44fd4c6_o.jpg

Closeup underneath the lights. I just mounted the T5s to a board with screws so I have a scalable light system. I plan seeing how 3 T5s do and possibly upgrading to 4. I'll be getting two more for starting seeds as well.
3045412054_847e23bd31_o.jpg

With the cat fence installed:
3044574607_bd35fb157d_o.jpg

damn that's a cool idea! really simple. How much was the final cost on the parts? my local hydroponics shop's cheapest setup without lights is about $40 for one 12" wide pot.

Total cost including everything is less than $200 bucks. I spent 40 bucks on the PVC enclosure and tools, 60 bucks on parts to build the hydro system and tools, nutrients & media, & I already had 2 of the lights so I only spent another 20 on lights. And is the 12" wide pot a drip system? You can build your own version of those single bucket systems w/ 5 gallon buckets, water & air pump & drip tubing. 90% of the time you can get away with building it yourself for cheaper. If I had tools already, this project would have been even cheaper.

Favorite part of my new enclosure is its sturdy enough w/o glue so I can disassemble it when needed :)

willard3 said:
You should resize your photographs so they fit the page and don't send dial-up folks off the deep end.

Haha k man sorry, I usually post from work where the internet is ludicrously fast I forget to resize:)

See:
359795912.png

At this point you can pretty much watch them grow. Like I can see a clear difference between the time I wake up and the time I go to bed, its pretty neat.

3054154208_2b1ddb9e0d.jpg

3053320373_573d0c7f8b.jpg

3054154492_55e316c6fc.jpg

3054153824_11bd6e668a.jpg

Back