• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Oldsalty's Fundraising Auction

oldsalty said:
Wow Ajdrew my Brother that is absolutely beautiful!! :) you area gifted craftsman my friend and far to kind!

Naw.  A friend of mine is the son of Daryl HIbben whose knives are amazing.  Friend's uncle is Gil HIbben who is responsible for some of the Rambo and Klingon knives.  Ben has been helping at the renaissance festival where I have a booth, tending the forge and demonstrating because I am having trouble standing.  He put some of his dads knives in our cases and oh damn they were beautiful. 

Reworking the workshop this winter.  Goal is to be able to do more while seated.  Who knows.  Maybe someday I can produce the things these guys do, but it will be quite the time before I learn the skills.

oldsalty said:
Thank You Brother :) Just trying to put this chapter to bed and move on to the next. Having friends like you make each page easier to turn even when the pages seem to be made of lead. :)
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your home. I just feel like a shit sometimes I'm not the guy who usually asks for help. And I know other's are struggling as well and with even bigger obstacles then we're facing. So this is hard for me. I'm usually trying to be the helper not the helped.
This has definitely affected my temperament. Sadly Heather has been taking the brunt of it. I feel ashamed for letting myself get here. Injuries and no stop meds are definitely making it hard to cope lately. Be glad when it's all over and we can move on.
You all have done so much and Heather just worries so. Just so hard to accept help when so many others are in the same boat or worse. Or have dealt with worse such as yourself losing your home.
Just hard to wrap my head around everyone's generosity and kindness. Guess I'm feeling bad about having to be helped. Don't want others to think less of me. I really don't know how to express it. Just hard.
Thanks again Scovie :)
You my friend, are an asset to this community. So, when you and Heather fall on tough times, it is our honour to be able to help such great folks as yourselves.

We all find it hard at some point in our lives to get back up again after being knocked down, but you my friend, have been knocked down way too many times than any person deserves. Yes, there may be people worse off than you. BUT, here as the community we have become to be, we must start somewhere, and what better place to start than helping our own family and friends. 

Please stay strong brother, and ride this wave of bad luck as the awesome surfer I'm sure you are. It's your ability to get back up again after all you've been through, that got you the nick name "The Fall Guy", and it couldn't be any more fitting. 

Try not to let the meds or the frustration get the better of you, we're here for you when you need us. Together, we can get you through this.

Stay strong, and take care mate. 

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Suggestion for clarity and to avoid confusion:  The longer this topic gets the more difficult it becomes to navigate.

I think there needs to be a "summary" topic pinned - one where no one comments, but SR can list the items and current bids. 

This topic can continue to roll for bidding, commenting, ball busting, and rum ham.  

That way the items list is in the 1st post all neat & tidy, with the current high bid/bidder listed below each item. Kinda like this: 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item #13.5

Rum Ham, generously donated by Old Salty & Danny DeVito: 

recipe-finder-rum-ham-eli-kirshtein.jpg

Current high bid: Scovie, $11.37

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something like that....

I tried to keep my OP updated with all the relevant information, but soon realized that any post can be only be edited for so long. I think starting a new post will further add to the confusion.

In an aid to keep things current, I will make sure the current auction page remains in my "status" so that all someone has to do is click on the link on my status to be directed to the current auction page. 

ajdrew said:
Knife - I wish I could have done better but got stuck in hospital again.  I am sorry it took so long to get a photo posted.  The result of rushing it is that the deer bone developed a hairline crack. As is, I can ship immediately.  If the winning bid would like, I can carve out the crack and fill with black resin, then sand down so it will look intentional.  I can do it to both sides and make it look really intentional.  But adding the resin might take a couple weeks. 

Blade is hand forged damascus / pattern welded from 1075, 1095,and 15N20.  These are all high carbon, but the 15N20 has enough nickle in it to give a contrast that the photo does not show.  It also adds a bit of rust resistance, but it still needs to be kept oiled.  The pattern is visible to the eye, but does not show up well when photographed.  Blade was quenched and drawn to be in the 55 rockwell range, so it will hold an edge fairly well but when it dulls it is not too hard to resharpen with a stone. 

The sheath is heavy grade veg tan cow hide.  It is stained brown with a mixture that is about neutral PH so that it does not encourage rust.  I soaked the finished product in some baking soda solution just in case any acid was left from tanning.  Still, carbon steel knives should not be kept in any sort of sheath cause leather always attracts moisture.

I hung the sheath sideways because when the knife was done, I felt it had a Norse feel to it.  I hate to say it, but I am broke and out of leather conditioner.  So the leather is fairly dry and could benefit greatly from one of the wax conditioners you can pick up at any leather shop.  I have had the best results with the Ausie stuff.

I promoted the auction at this URL and am off to share it on Facebook.  Maybe the share will bring some folk to THP to bid.  Not sure but figure it cant hurt.  If someone wants to do something more formal, like a go fund me, I will put it up on the front page like I did with the Christopher Phillips fund raiser.  Not sure if it helps, but have a good amount of traffic.  - http://www.peppersbymail.com/knife-auction-for-old-salty/

Wish I could have done better for you Old Salty, but between time and finances this is what I could come up with.  Much luck with your challenges.

13649692_998570436928116_869287846_n.jpg

Looks great AJ, well done and thanks for your contribution. I'll edit my auction post shortly and include your knife pic.

Thanks again to all for banding together to help our brother Oldsalty. It's generosity like this, that makes me proud to be part of this community.

SR. 

Shorerider said:
grantmichaels - Item #11

Oldsalty Aunction Box:

- JAYT - PEX PEPPERS TRINIDAD SCORPION JELLY.
- JHP - JHP 7 POD WHITE POWDER.
- JHP - JHP JAY'S GHOST SCORPION POWDER.
- JHP - JHP CHOCOLATE GHOST POWDER.
- MM - PECAN SMOKED CONGO POWDER.
- MM - APPLE SMOKED CHOCO BHUT POWDER.
- MM - CHERRY SMOKED CROSSES POWDER.
- MM - MORUGA POWDER.
- GIP - PEX PEPPERS COSMIC PEACH.
- GIP - PEX PEPPERS SINGULARITY.
- GIP - PEX PEPPERS DRAGON BURNER.
- GM - PEX WAVES OF LILIKO.
- GM - HUSKER21'S RELAXIN' JACK BACKYARD BBQ SAUCE (END OF MONTH EXPIRY).
- GM - TEXAS CREEK CHIPOTLE BBQ SAUCE.
- GM - RANCHO GORDO SANTA MARIA PIQUITOS BEANS.
- GM - HELLFIRE SMOKED HABABERO SEA SALT.
- GM - PI RHO SWEETR JALAPENO DIPPING MUSTARD.
- GM - 10X MYSTERY CITRUS SEEDS.

Current highest bid: AldenMiller US$50

Updated with a number of additional items from muskymojo (powders and jellies) and myself, including Pex's latest - Waves of Liliko, another THP classic BBQ sauce, the best item from Pi Rho (at least in my opinion), the habanero variant of my favorite sea salt, some beans from the best bean purveyor in earth, and 10x Mystery Citrus seeds that I'd saved for Ajijoe ...

There could be more, too - I'm all up in my fire today. ;) :fire:

Happy Bidding! :party:

545dfab673b865b363f59cabfc0fea86.jpg

Shorerider said:
You my friend, are an asset to this community. So, when you and Heather fall on tough times, it is our honour to be able to help such great folks as yourselves.

We all find it hard at some point in our lives to get back up again after being knocked down, but you my friend, have been knocked down way too many times than any person deserves. Yes, there may be people worse off than you. BUT, here as the community we have become to be, we must start somewhere, and what better place to start than helping our own family and friends. 

Please stay strong brother, and ride this wave of bad luck as the awesome surfer I'm sure you are. It's your ability to get back up again after all you've been through, that got you the nick name "The Fall Guy", and it couldn't be any more fitting. 

Try not to let the meds or the frustration get the better of you, we're here for you when you need us. Together, we can get you through this.

Stay strong, and take care mate. 

I tried to keep my OP updated with all the relevant information, but soon realized that any post can be only be edited for so long. I think starting a new post will further add to the confusion.

In an aid to keep things current, I will make sure the current auction page remains in my "status" so that all someone has to do is click on the link on my status to be directed to the current auction page. 

Looks great AJ, well done and thanks for your contribution. I'll edit my auction post shortly and include your knife pic.

Thanks again to all for banding together to help our brother Oldsalty. It's generosity like this, that makes me proud to be part of this community.

SR. 

well said BRO !        :onfire:

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
No bids for my anysoldier package. :(

Even a $10 bid gets $20 worth of sauce to a soldier in harm's way. I'm covering the shipping too!

Update to shot glass / golf ball item: adding 5x 8 oz bottles of LDHS - a complete set of my squeeze bottle lineup.
- Dia del Perro
- New & improved Purple Label
- New & now sugar free Red Label
- Year of the Dog
- Pink Label

BOOM!

If this has not been bid on I'll go $20, wish I could more but money it is tight here as well. Let me know how to pay if I'm the winner.

neoguy said:

I was referring to the any soldier care package.
Awesome! Had to clarify since you quoted both items.

Thanks for supporting a great cause!

And to further clarify the clarification, I'm paying for shipping, and the bid goes 100"% towards products. So at present your $20 bid get $40 worth of hot sauce to an anysoldier recipient!

:cheers:

Edited: the bid goes 100% to product. :doh:

On hot sauce to soldiers: Want to jump in and say although it might not seem all that comforting, spent many years eating flavorless mass prepared food.  It really does make a difference.  Now I understand our budget cuts have caused our military members to only get one cooked meal a day.  If you don't think hot sauce can make a difference, you have gotta eat one of the dehydrated hash-browns or pork sausage things out of an MRE package.

CLOSED!!!

Oldsalty's Fundraising Birthday Auction. 

ENDS 13th JULY AT 12:00AM (EDT) SC TIME.

As most of you are aware, our good friend Oldsalty has fallen on tough times yet again with health, and other issues.

His run of bad luck is one that just seems to continue week after week, month after month. How can so many bad things happen to such a nice, and "likeable" person?

Well, I can't sit and let this continue to happen, Oldsalty needs some goodluck for a change. So, I would like to hold an Auction for Oldsalty to raise some money to help him with his health, and money issues.

At the end of the auction which will run until 12:00am midnight of July 13th, the winner would need to transfer funds before the items would be sent, all proceeds going to Oldsalty. 

If you feel you are able to help add to the list of auction items, please reply here or PM me, and I will edit it into this post.

Members not wanting to bid on any of the auction items can also make a monetary donation, however big or small if they wish. PM me and I will forward you the relevant PayPal payment information. 

This post will be continually updated, so please keep an eye out for updates and added auction items. I welcome all comments regarding any improvements you'd care to suggest.     :P 

Auction items:

Shorerider - Item #01:
20160619_191317_edit_1466328524958.jpg

- 1x 11oz Bottle of Heatseeker - A Choc 7 Pot sauce, with smokey undertones and a chilli head 'hot' heat level.

- 1x 11oz Bottle of Smoke 'N' Fire - A Sweet tomato sauce/ketchup style sauce, but with a 'medium' heat.

- 1x 11oz Bottle of Rocoto-Loco - A Tangy Rocoto based sauce with all focus being on the Rocoto flavor. (Only 9 bottles were made)

- 40g Tabasco powder 
- 40g Aji Pineapple powder 
- 40g 7 spice rub
- 40g Red Gum smoked Cayenne powder 
 (Postage worldwide is included)

Winning bid: Tinnie AU$150

Shorerider - Item #02:

- A card containing 30 seed varieties.
20160627_113434_edit_1466991912796.jpg

- Aji Margariteno 
- Scotch Brain F3
- Biber Dolmasi 
- Brazilian Starfish 
- Hungarian yellow wax
- Rocoto 
- Manzano 
- Mustard Trinidad Scorpion 
- TS Cardi Yellow 
- Peruvian White Habanero 
- Goats Weed 
- Yellow 7 Pot 
- Aconcagua 
- Rooster Spur 
- Butchlah 
- Albanian Red Hot 
- 7 Pot Rennie
- Red Bhut Jolokia 
- Bombay Morich 
- Bhut Jolokia Assam 
- Cayenne Yellow/Orange 
- Cayenne x Bhut 
- Chocolate 7 Pot 
- Bishops Hat 
- Jimmy Nardello 
- MOA Scotch Bonnet Yellow 
- Red 7 Pot Jonah 
- Daisy Cutter 
- Chocolate Scorpion 
- Assam Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon 

Winning bid:  Magged Out US$50

Hogleg - Item #3:
160619_0000.jpg

- Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Black Label 
- Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Brown Label
- Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Orange Label
- Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Green Label

Winning bid: Moruga Welder US$40

Hogleg & LDHS - Item #4:
160619_0002.jpg

- Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Black Label 
- Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Black Label 
- Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Brown Label 
(Kindly donated by Scott at LDHS)

- Mezzetta Habanero Hot Sauce
- Yucatan Sunset Picante
(Kindly donated by Hogleg)

IMG_0964.jpg

- Six LDHS limited edition square tumbler shot glasses. 
- One LDHS Golf ball. 
- 5x 8 oz bottles of LDHS - a complete set of my squeeze bottle lineup:
- Dia del Perro
- New & improved Purple Label
- New & now sugar free Red Label
- Year of the Dog
- Pink Label
(Kindly donated by Scott at LDHS)

Winning bid: bpiela  US$75

Salsalady - item #5:
post-2879-0-36400500-1466552420.jpg

- 1/4 oz of (never before released) 12.8mil Pure Evil
-1/2 oz original 1.5mil Pure Evil
- Sample vial of 15.6mil capsaicin powder
- 1/2 oz 12mil pepper extract (also never before released)
Total Value - $150

Winning bid: cubbieblue82 US$75

Salsalady - item #6:
post-2879-0-78366000-1468188758_thumb.jpg

For a $40 donation to Saltys fund, I'll send a Texas Creek goody package to a service Person of your choice. Send it to your family, friend, and Any Soldier...you choose.
There are two care packages up for grabs.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce - Item #7:

-Medium flat rate package to an anysoldier address at random - 8 bottles of hot sauce.

AND....

Whatever the final bid is, I will send that much in value of sauce + a matching amount of sauce.

e.g. If the final bid is $20, I'll send $40 worth. If $50 I'll send $100 worth of hot sauce to a soldier at random.

Awesome Value. Go!

Winning bid: neoguy US$20

Pariah - Item #8:

- I am head chef at a historic outlaw bar in Wyoming that was the hang out for many 19th century outlaws such as Butch Cassidy, Harry Longabaugh, Harvey Logan, Ben Kilpatrick and more.
IMG_20160624_082818.jpg

It comes with: a shirt (sz L), two collectors bar glasses, a short book by the owner that talks a bit about our history, and three bottles of my sauces that I serve in the restaurant (BBQ, Buffalo and Jerk, not pictured) that will be made fresh before shipping.

Winning bid:  Shorerider US$50 (Items to go to Oldsalty for his birthday  :P )

Moruga Welder - Item #9:

- I would like to donate 3 oz. of my Peach Bhut s.s. / Jays peach g/s pure placenta. It is foodsavered and in the freezer for freshness .
msg-9529-0-76982100-1466956902_thumb.jpg

Winning bid: cubbieblue82 US$35

Ajdrew - Item #10:
13649692_998570436928116_869287846_n.jpg

- Hand forged knife - Blade is hand forged damascus / pattern welded from 1075, 1095,and 15N20. These are all high carbon, but the 15N20 has enough nickle in it to give a contrast that the photo does not show. It also adds a bit of rust resistance, but it still needs to be kept oiled. The pattern is visible to the eye, but does not show up well when photographed. Blade was quenched and drawn to be in the 55 rockwell range, so it will hold an edge fairly well but when it dulls it is not too hard to resharpen with a stone.

The sheath is heavy grade veg tan cow hide. It is stained brown with a mixture that is about neutral PH so that it does not encourage rust. I soaked the finished product in some baking soda solution just in case any acid was left from tanning. Still, carbon steel knives should not be kept in any sort of sheath cause leather always attracts moisture.

I hung the sheath sideways because when the knife was done, I felt it had a Norse feel to it. I hate to say it, but I am broke and out of leather conditioner. So the leather is fairly dry and could benefit greatly from one of the wax conditioners you can pick up at any leather shop. I have had the best results with the Aussie stuff.

Winning bid:  AaronTT US$125

grantmichaels - Item #11
 Oldsalty Aunction Box:
545dfab673b865b363f59cabfc0fea86.jpg

- JAYT - PEX PEPPERS TRINIDAD SCORPION JELLY.
- JHP - JHP 7 POD WHITE POWDER.
- JHP - JHP JAY'S GHOST SCORPION POWDER.
- JHP - JHP CHOCOLATE GHOST POWDER.
- MM - PECAN SMOKED CONGO POWDER.
- MM - APPLE SMOKED CHOCO BHUT POWDER.
- MM - CHERRY SMOKED CROSSES POWDER.
- MM - MORUGA POWDER.
- GIP - PEX PEPPERS COSMIC PEACH.
- GIP - PEX PEPPERS SINGULARITY.
- GIP - PEX PEPPERS DRAGON BURNER.
- GM - PEX WAVES OF LILIKO.
- GM - HUSKER21'S RELAXIN' JACK BACKYARD BBQ SAUCE (END OF MONTH EXPIRY).
- GM - TEXAS CREEK CHIPOTLE BBQ SAUCE.
- GM - RANCHO GORDO SANTA MARIA PIQUITOS BEANS.
- GM - HELLFIRE SMOKED HABABERO SEA SALT.
- GM - PI RHO SWEETR JALAPENO DIPPING MUSTARD.
- GM - 10X MYSTERY CITRUS SEEDS.

Winding bid:  AldenMiller  US$150

A special thanks to those below that have made a generous monetary donation to Oldsalty.

- Student of Spice 
- Scovill DeVille
- Magged Out

Let's turn Oldsalty's bad luck around. 

SR

Agreed Scott, I was just thinking the same thing. 

C'mon folks, item #4 has a total of 10 bottles of hot sauce, six shot glasses, and a golf ball! An awesome package to say the least. 

Just over 12hrs remaining before the auction ends.

Let's help our Fall Guy Oldsalty get back up again. 

AUCTION ENDS 13th OF JULY AT 12AM EDT SC TIME.

Lets not forget that today is also Oldsalty's Birthday!!!! :dance: 

SR.

Back