• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Oldsalty's Fundraising Auction

oldsalty said:
Thank You Brother :) Just trying to put this chapter to bed and move on to the next. Having friends like you make each page easier to turn even when the pages seem to be made of lead. :)
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your home. I just feel like a shit sometimes I'm not the guy who usually asks for help. And I know other's are struggling as well and with even bigger obstacles then we're facing. So this is hard for me. I'm usually trying to be the helper not the helped.
This has definitely affected my temperament. Sadly Heather has been taking the brunt of it. I feel ashamed for letting myself get here. Injuries and no stop meds are definitely making it hard to cope lately. Be glad when it's all over and we can move on.
You all have done so much and Heather just worries so. Just so hard to accept help when so many others are in the same boat or worse. Or have dealt with worse such as yourself losing your home.
Just hard to wrap my head around everyone's generosity and kindness. Guess I'm feeling bad about having to be helped. Don't want others to think less of me. I really don't know how to express it. Just hard.
Thanks again Scovie :)

There is no shame in getting help from your friends, if you weren't worth it, they wouldn't be there. You are a good person Grant and You need to remember to tell yourself that. This group has gathered in support because you have that something extra, that something special. When you feel that anger trying to bubble up remember to tell yourself who you really are. Also something I believe you are aware of but not taking into account, is that those opies although good for pain will wreak havoc with your emotions. Its like having your emotions plugged into a 5000 watt amplifier. So when the anger comes on don't forget to turn down the volume because its amplified and not necessarily the real you.
So be good to yourself and especially be good to the fallgal because she is there for you above everybody.

There may be thousands of miles between us but I stand by your side through thick or thin my bredren

You are gonna make it thru this with love. Cause I love ya, and so do a bunch of other people.

I finally got out to the kitchen today to make some Fatalii Firestorm to include in the AnySoldier boxes sponsored by tc1010.

Fatalii, moruga, mango, ginger and juices-
IMG_5468.JPG

IMG_5469.JPG

and some 9.6mil SHU Pure Evil just to make sure it's hot enough... :twisted:...
IMG_5471.JPG

after the BlendTec...smooooth!
IMG_5472.JPG

IMG_5474.JPG

Here's the assortment going into the boxes.  Thanks again tctenten!
IMG_5473.JPG

much love to 'Salty and Heather!
SL

Shorerider said:
Thats great GM, thank you for yet another awesome addition to help Oldsalty.  :dance:

I got this from Oldsalty, it seems that things are already starting to improve.

"Soon Will be able to start ordering lumber to get roof ripped out and sheathed with new plywood. For now the house has a tarp to keep out rain. Waiting for estimate on metal roof panels. Really can't believe how much better we are feeling just don't know what we would have done without everyone's kindness! :)"

I can't thank you all enough for you generosity, it means the world to me, and especially Oldsalty. 

SR. 

Somewhere along the way the date was changed from the end of the month, to the middle, and I didn't notice that along the way - probably happened while I was paying more attention to the Contest I had going.

It looks like the end date the way it's set now, is only days away. Since there aren't any bids, go ahead and axe it for now, and I'll follow up this thread with a new thread for an auction for OS using the stuff we gathered during the Contest.

Thanks!

grantmichaels said:

Somewhere along the way the date was changed from the end of the month, to the middle, and I didn't notice that along the way - probably happened while I was paying more attention to the Contest I had going.

It looks like the end date the way it's set now, is only days away. Since there aren't any bids, go ahead and axe it for now, and I'll follow up this thread with a new thread for an auction for OS using the stuff we gathered during the Contest.

Thanks!

Put me down for $50 for #11.

-Alden

grantmichaels - Item #11
 Oldsalty Aunction Box:

-
:confused:

i'm confused

grantmichaels said:

Thanks!
I reached the edit limit of the first two auction posts so they can no longer be edited. I will edit the current auction list on page 4 of this thread, and remove your items.

Thanks for your contribution GM.

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:

Put me down for $50 for #11.

-Alden

grantmichaels - Item #11
 Oldsalty Aunction Box:

-

:confused:

i'm confused

I have a bunch of stuff I need to edit into the auction, is all ... people sent me stuff for it that's not listed there ... I have other things to add myself, that I haven't unpacked yet ...

The derivative box from the BBQ Contest for Oldsalty will be an auction thread that I'll make fresh right behind when this one ends is all ...

And from the sound of it, Alden will be an early bidder at $50 ...

I just can't process it that quickly, as I'm working this evening, and need to read through all of my PM's and emails and the Contest thread to make sure I get everyone's stuff into the auction ...

There's probably almost twice the amount listed above, all in all ...

I have powders and jellies from musky ...

And that's without me even looking into my own stash - I know I have a bottle of Pex's Wave of Liliko to throw in there, for instance ...

It'll be worth waiting a day or two and coming right behind this one with a separate thread ...
Shorerider said:
I reached the edit limit of the first two auction posts so they can no longer be edited. I will edit the current auction list on page 4 of this thread, and remove your items.

Thanks for your contribution GM.

:cheers:

Will come right behind this one ;) ...

Suggestion for clarity and to avoid confusion:  The longer this topic gets the more difficult it becomes to navigate.

I think there needs to be a "summary" topic pinned - one where no one comments, but SR can list the items and current bids. 

This topic can continue to roll for bidding, commenting, ball busting, and rum ham.  

That way the items list is in the 1st post all neat & tidy, with the current high bid/bidder listed below each item. Kinda like this: 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item #13.5

Rum Ham, generously donated by Old Salty & Danny DeVito: 

recipe-finder-rum-ham-eli-kirshtein.jpg

Current high bid: Scovie, $11.37

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something like that....

Knife - I wish I could have done better but got stuck in hospital again.  I am sorry it took so long to get a photo posted.  The result of rushing it is that the deer bone developed a hairline crack. As is, I can ship immediately.  If the winning bid would like, I can carve out the crack and fill with black resin, then sand down so it will look intentional.  I can do it to both sides and make it look really intentional.  But adding the resin might take a couple weeks. 

Blade is hand forged damascus / pattern welded from 1075, 1095,and 15N20.  These are all high carbon, but the 15N20 has enough nickle in it to give a contrast that the photo does not show.  It also adds a bit of rust resistance, but it still needs to be kept oiled.  The pattern is visible to the eye, but does not show up well when photographed.  Blade was quenched and drawn to be in the 55 rockwell range, so it will hold an edge fairly well but when it dulls it is not too hard to resharpen with a stone. 

The sheath is heavy grade veg tan cow hide.  It is stained brown with a mixture that is about neutral PH so that it does not encourage rust.  I soaked the finished product in some baking soda solution just in case any acid was left from tanning.  Still, carbon steel knives should not be kept in any sort of sheath cause leather always attracts moisture.

I hung the sheath sideways because when the knife was done, I felt it had a Norse feel to it.  I hate to say it, but I am broke and out of leather conditioner.  So the leather is fairly dry and could benefit greatly from one of the wax conditioners you can pick up at any leather shop.  I have had the best results with the Ausie stuff.

I promoted the auction at this URL and am off to share it on Facebook.  Maybe the share will bring some folk to THP to bid.  Not sure but figure it cant hurt.  If someone wants to do something more formal, like a go fund me, I will put it up on the front page like I did with the Christopher Phillips fund raiser.  Not sure if it helps, but have a good amount of traffic.  - http://www.peppersbymail.com/knife-auction-for-old-salty/

Wish I could have done better for you Old Salty, but between time and finances this is what I could come up with.  Much luck with your challenges.

13649692_998570436928116_869287846_n.jpg

Back