Ozzy's All Grain on deck

I had planned to bottle this pale ale, but there are too many yeast yes in suspension. Going to take a sample and probably rack off the cake and shut her down.

sample is at 1.010 so its done.  still bubbling some little bubbles so it may go down another point.  Hard to say.  I put a PET sample in the fridge to chill so I can force carb that biatch up and taste it.  It smells fantastic, so I'm pretty excited about it.

I moved it to the colder part of the basement so it should chillax now.

Wow ... you have the opposite ... going longer than you'd like, huh? ...

Interesting ...

I wonder if you have some wild stuff, somehow? ...

You said one of your beers tasted metallic-y (phenol can def be from wild strains), you said some were over carbonated, you had one show an infection, and you are having beer go lower than you expect ...

Maybe you have a house-culture in your basement! ...

I have the opposite ... shit wants to quit, has to have sweet whispers whispered and shit ...

grantmichaels said:
Wow ... you have the opposite ... going longer than you'd like, huh? ...

Interesting ...

I wonder if you have some wild stuff, somehow? ...

You said one of your beers tasted metallic-y (phenol can def be from wild strains), you said some were over carbonated, you had one show an infection, and you are having beer go lower than you expect ...

Maybe you have a house-culture in your basement! ...

I have the opposite ... shit wants to quit, has to have sweet whispers whispered and shit ...
I had the temperature up a little higher than I would have liked. I think that's the main reason it went longer. Hell, the first batch I did crapped out on me. That was my first though, and it was a RIS so that was an ambitious first beer in hindsight.

I'm pretty sure the metal batch, known in our house as the Metallica Choc Stout, was the aluminum pot not being oxidized enough. The other ones carbing high is probably because of the warmer temperature when I bottled.

Definitely no foul esters on this one. This actually smells great. I'm really enjoying just swirling it and sniffing.
grantmichaels said:
Sweet!

Is this the one from teh keg?
Nope. The toffee Porter is in the keg. I just racked this off the cake into a secondary where it's cooler so the yeast will drop and I force carved a sample so I could taste it.

Ozzy2001 said:
I had the temperature up a little higher than I would have liked. I think that's the main reason it went longer. Hell, the first batch I did crapped out on me. That was my first though, and it was a RIS so that was an ambitious first beer in hindsight.

I'm pretty sure the metal batch, known in our house as the Metallica Choc Stout, was the aluminum pot not being oxidized enough. The other ones carbing high is probably because of the warmer temperature when I bottled.

Definitely no foul esters on this one. This actually smells great. I'm really enjoying just swirling it and sniffing.

kegged? ...
Ozzy2001 said:
I just racked this off the cake into a secondary where it's cooler so the yeast will drop and I force carved a sample so I could taste it.

I gotcha ...

I tasted the Mild tonight ... it tastes like nothing, lol ...

Haha ... I already had way too many high-IBU beers today to even find it (I mean, for the most part, anyways) ...

Ozzy2001 said:

FYI, dont boil in aluminum. Wish I would have seen you were gonna do that before you actually did it.

wheebz said:

FYI, dont boil in aluminum. Wish I would have seen you were gonna do that before you actually did it.
All I have right now. It's oxidized well now and I'm working on getting my keggle going then I'll be done with the old turkey pot.

Back