Ozzy's All Grain on deck

I have a cousin that lives in Steamboat, CO. I could probably pester her, but I'd rather not. She's a hippie artist and would probably not wrap it up right anyway. She would be way more reliable to send pot lol.

Brooklyn Black Ops is probably my top wont right now, that's possible ...

Founders CBS isn't likely to become available to me, but I'd like to track down a bottle of Black Ops, which I think I can probably trade towards, if I leverage some OB BA on a future order ...

Big fan of G.O.'s job on the regular Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout this year, and eager to see what the Black Ops is all about ...

I plan to order a bottle of Alesmith Speedway Stout online one of these days, too ... but there's no real hurry on that, for me ...

grantmichaels said:
Brooklyn Black Ops is probably my top wont right now, that's possible ...

Founders CBS isn't likely to become available to me, but I'd like to track down a bottle of Black Ops, which I think I can probably trade towards, if I leverage some OB BA on a future order ...

Big fan of G.O.'s job on the regular Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout this year, and eager to see what the Black Ops is all about ...

I plan to order a bottle of Alesmith Speedway Stout online one of these days, too ... but there's no real hurry on that, for me ...
m

I got you covered on any Brooklyn beers. Just remind me when to look for it.

Pretty sure my version of a breakfast stout will be going down this weekend. I wanted to mash a 10gal wort to split into a 5 and 2.5 gal batch so I could experiment with the 2.5 gallon. However it won't all fit in my 10gal mash tun.

So...I'm debating whether I want to just do back to back mashes and then boil all at once. That is the likely scenario.

That's my standard routine for brewing anything over like 9% ...

Overflowing my mash tun trying to hit high gravity and trying to get good-enough circulation through the grain bed is for the birds - always ends up making a mess of my wort and my boil kettle, for stuff escaping the over-filled basket ...

I'd much rather add the time add mash serially, and have it be tidy and super chill, than vice versa ...

They go in-depth on this on one of the recent Brew Strong ep's: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/brew-strong-triple-mashing/

They confirm what I found for myself empirically, that you can totally brew serially and end up in the same place ...

It's governed by something called Lincoln Equation from the 1800's, which proves out that you will get a certain extract based on the water/grist ratio, and that mashing is functionally exchanging the starch in the grain for a water displacement, and that it's NOT a wort replacement in the 2nd, 3rd mash batch, that only water is going into the grains, not sugars from the 1st iteration ...

( Starting point for figuring out how to use it: https://books.google.com/books?id=4nFfyy66UioC&pg=PA497&lpg=PA497&dq=lincoln+equation+grain&source=bl&ots=PiKYRVHqyB&sig=0kNka2dFF2ZiSIBAwvd9UJT69PA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLtvSHwa_MAhXMlx4KHXBCApIQ6AEILjAC#v=onepage&q=lincoln%20equation%20grain&f=false )

You can divide your grain bill and mash serially and end up in the same place, and they've proven it out over two batches, and now three as well ...

It was a good listen for me, because those beers are my bread and butter batches, but you can take my word on it - that's the summary of the episode in a nutshell.

One other thing that was interesting, is that the weight of grains after mashing, is essentially almost equal to the weight of them before mashing, all the way up to thousands of pounds in the mash tun's at Heretic, so you can approximate how much water you are losing with iterations of the serial mash too, and do a really fine job of predicting how these brew sessions will pan out.

Good shit.

So if you use the wort to mash in the next batch of grain do you have to add more water to end up at the volume you want? The grains will still retain some of the volume right?

Ozzy2001 said:
So if you use the wort to mash in the next batch of grain do you have to add more water to end up at the volume you want? The grains will still retain some of the volume right?

If you've split your grain bill in half, you'll lose exactly the same amount of water to the 2nd batch of grain as the first, and not any of the sugars from the 1st batch ...

There's a good calculator for that over at Priceless: http://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/

Ozzy2001 said:
That's pretty cool. I'll probably just do 2 full mash/sparge a though. I need more volume of water than my mash tun can hold.

Two vessels ... in my case, at least for my inside brewing, it's single-vessel ... the mash tun is the boil kettle ...

Ozzy2001 said:
Yeah if your mash tun can hold the volume you want that's definitely a cool technique. Won't have to boil 4-ev-er.

My outdoor mash tun is 100 qt, so I'm all set for when I move outside ...

I'm in a very cramped space when I'm brewing inside, though ...

What do you guys think is the biggest boil volume I can do on stovetop. I have a ceramic flattop electric stove. I have a 20qt pot that I use now and it seems like it struggles to get it boiling. In your opinion is that about the biggest I can go?

tctenten said:
What do you guys think is the biggest boil volume I can do on stovetop. I have a ceramic flattop electric stove. I have a 20qt pot that I use now and it seems like it struggles to get it boiling. In your opinion is that about the biggest I can go?

Buy a element and plug it into the wall and add another 2000 watt element to get to the boil faster ...

I know you can brew 5 gal on the stove, at least I think you can ...

I think the weight on the glass-top becomes a bigger factor, though ... and you already took out the oven-glass ...

Given the time of year, it's probably a nice time to brew outside for you, no? ...

Back