• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patricks 2012 Pepper Grow Log

Here we go again! Time is just jetting by and it's hard to believe it's time to get started again. It is though and ain't that wonderful!

I may be moving this summer so going small this year. Here's what I got started tonight:

7 Pot Brain Strain x 4
7 Pot Congo x 2
7 Pot x 3
Armageddon x 2
Bengal Naga x 3
Bhut Jolokia, Caramel color x 6
Not the Black Naga x 2
SB7J x 4
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T x 10
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend x 6

The seeds are in coco coir in 3 oz dixie cups. They will be covered and on a heat mat with the temp set at 84F.

DSC014391600x1200.jpg

I'm happy to say the speed of seed germination has picked up now that I can keep the temps consistently around 82F. Went from eight to 23 in less than a week. I wasn't getting much growth with the seedlings either so I decided to move them into the T nursery too. Don't know why I didn't do this in the first place. Went from temps in the low to mid 60's to low 80's. Hoping that will do the trick.

I've added a few more Infinity seeds from a different source so now I'm up to 10 seeds started. Here's a shot of the germination box.

DSC014941600x1200.jpg

Here's a shot of the current light set up. It's expandable.

DSC014951600x1167.jpg

And a quick peek at a few of the seedlings.

DSC014971600x1200.jpg

I've decided to put off moving for another year or two so I'm thinking about increasing the number of plants. Can you ever have too many pepper plants? I don't think so. :halo:

Now look at those babies, doing great Patrick :) And you can never have too many ;) if you need any seeds, just let me know.

Thanks all and thanks for the seed offer Stefan. I have a couple of varieties coming from AISPES that I'm anxious to get going so I should have plenty.

Now I'm getting excited. Seeing that first hook is a great moment. Seeing true leaves beginning to grow is another milestone--to me anyway. So without further adieu......

The group shot.

DSC015001600x1198.jpg

Close up of a "Not" a Black Naga. Seeds courtesy of cmpman1974.

DSC015061600x1200.jpg

And the latest one to peek out, one of Cappy's 7 Pot Brain Strain peppers.

DSC015031600x1200.jpg

Life is good. :halo:

Patrick, in looking at the mircoscope pics, my 1st thoughts were they were pics of your baby T's. Reading all your guy's posts and such, I'm thinking a person should get college credits for horticulture from reading them. Kudos to all you pepperheads!!! Oh by the way Patrick used the last of the SB7J powder--good stuff my friend. Chat later...

Very nice P. I hear you on the milestones. It seems like they take so long to grow until I get them outside.

Thanks guys.

I did a bit of peeking in the four remaining SB7J cups. Found two seeds that had done nothing and the other two cups I couldn't find the dang seeds. What the heck? So I started four more of them plus two of the non-isolated ones. Hope these do better. I'm wondering if I picked a pod too early?

I've read a couple of glogs showing the SB7J seeds are doing OK. Anyone else having problems?

Thanks guys.

I did a bit of peeking in the four remaining SB7J cups. Found two seeds that had done nothing and the other two cups I couldn't find the dang seeds. What the heck? So I started four more of them plus two of the non-isolated ones. Hope these do better. I'm wondering if I picked a pod too early?

I've read a couple of glogs showing the SB7J seeds are doing OK. Anyone else having problems?

They've taken a while too germinate and they are slow growers but are doing well over here. Third real leaf-set is in the making as we speak :)

Thanks guys.

I had 5 of 6 total germinate. They did take the longest out of a tray of 72 mixed varieties. I've got some " Bonnets" that were sent from Jamaica. The seeds looked smooth and clean. Only 2 of 30 Popped and that took a month. I'm trying to start more in a baggie wrapped in a towel on the heat mat. 2wks have gone by and the seeds are just staring at me.....ha.......I'm going to quit looking for a few days...

Greg

So some good some not so good. Thanks guys.

I may have solved the missing seed issue. While going through some other cups that had seeds that failed to germinate I came across an extremely small, white, translucent black headed maggot looking thing that was either attached to the seed some how or it was crawling out of the shell. After some googling it appears to be a Dark Winged Fungus Gnat Larvae. They eat plant roots and seedlings but not sure about seeds but I think so. In another cup I found a seed shell that had an extra hole in it and the embryo was completely gone. There are several things that can get rid of them but the easiest and probably safest is to let the substrate dry out a little between waterings. Always something new isn't it?

Get BT Mosquito Dunks quick. Dissolve a half-puck in a gallon of water and water with it. You may need to crush it up and let it sit for a few days, as they don't really dissolve like that, then strain out the chunks in the water.

A better product is Gnatrol, but I don't remember if it is still on the market.

Apparently azadirachtin (the active substance in Neem oil) is also effective.

They will crawl inside the seeds and eat them clean empty.

Now thats the script for a bad dream....................................."Seed Eating Larvae"

Those dang seeds can burn your fingers, make you cough and sneeze........ :eek: .........but when its all over, the darn "Dark Wing's" take over

Greg

Thanks orangehero and the confirmation Siliman. I'll have to do some research on the stuff first to see if it will effect the tarantulas in the same room. Hopefully not unless I water them with it. May just move the seeds for a bit to do it. I've seen a gnat here and there but no significant numbers. I'm going to allow the seedlings to dry a bit first. None of them seem to be effected. Crazy shite eh?

Yea, you'll see my rant about the f-gnats on the other thread you started. I tend to get over-zealous about the bastids, as they can be heart-breakers.

I highly recco the yellow sticky traps--they are a good first line of defense if you just have a few gnats. It'll catch the adult flyers. Then they serve as an indicator of level of problem if the population escalates.

edit: Oop I just remembered your tarantulas. No good to have them step on a sticky trap. Consider doing a 'water drench' test and check the run-off if you see any adults poking their ugly heads up in the soil.

I made a mix of diametecious earth and cinnamon powder to prevent gnats on my overwinter. DE will tear them up and heard cinnamon is a natural fungicide. Maybe the same idea will work here too. Sprinkle some on the top of soil. If you bottom water, you should be ok. Also recommend the yellow sticky's too.

Back