• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Patrick's 2013 Grow Log

First off I would like to thank Millman for the inspiration to get off my duff and get the 2013 season started.

This list is probably not complete and I haven't figured out how many of each I'm going to grow. Or I should say attempt to grow. Me and Ma Nature ain't been seeing eye to eye lately. I'll be sacrificing some chickens or toads or what ever it takes to get her off my back soon. Burn some incense and do some chants? Convert to druidism? I'm open to suggestions. Anyway off to the list!

7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot BS, Orange
7 Pot BS, Red
7 Pot BS, Yellow
7 Pot Bubblegum
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Rennie
7 Pot White
Antillies Fire
Bengle Naga
Bhut Jokokia, Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia, Caramel
Bonda Ma Jacque
Carolina Reaper
C. Rhomboideum
Douglah x T.S. Butch T F3
Habanero, Purple w/stinger
Infinity
JPL#1 (Classified)
Nagabon
Orange Blob F2
SB7J, F1 + F2
Trini Scorp Butch T, Judy/Hippy
Trini Scorp Morouga Blend, Hippy
Trini Scorp, Morouga

To the wonderful peeps who have sent me seeds please forgive me if they aren't listed. Once I figure out where I put them I'll add 'em to the list.

Best of luck to all of you on your 2013 grow.

Where is your coco from?
I start my seeds in the expensive coco coir from the hydro store, and its all washed and buffered, and pH stabilised. Its worth it because I only use the coco in small cells in the hydro system before putting them in dirt. The cheap stuff that comes in expandable bricks can have lots of salt in it from the salt water where its processed. It occurs in unpredictable levels too, some batches are worse than others.

Where is your coco from?
I start my seeds in the expensive coco coir from the hydro store, and its all washed and buffered, and pH stabilised. Its worth it because I only use the coco in small cells in the hydro system before putting them in dirt. The cheap stuff that comes in expandable bricks can have lots of salt in it from the salt water where its processed. It occurs in unpredictable levels too, some batches are worse than others.
That's an important piece of information Moo. I've been using peat-based planting medium for years, but since I find it's not sustainable I've been looking for an acceptable alternative. Thanks for slotting another piece in the puzzle!

The mooman is on the money. I get my coir from the pet store. I use it for my tarantula habitats. Couple of years ago I started using it to germinate seeds in. I've noticed small amounts of salts before but this year it's the worse I've ever seen. I don't remember the exact brand but I do know this is the first time I've used it. They were out of what I usually buy. I was at the local hydro store over the weekend and noticed they have a couple of different brands of coir available which looks like it's processed a lot better to get the nasties out than the brick stuff I use. Live and learn.

I decided to start moving some of the larger seedlings into bigger cups and Pro Mix a little earlier than normal because of the salt issue. I was happily surprised at the "fuzziness" of the roots this early in the game. That little bit of mycorrhizae I added with the watering seems to be doing it's job. That makes me happy.

DSC027712300x1725_zps82095e78.jpg

9beedd3c-126a-404e-9bc2-cf4ef9030f66_zps2b3b5067.jpg

Oh yeah, those are looking great Patrick!

I get the salts issue as well but mine is mainly minerals from my tap water.

I was suggested to wash plenty coco coir before using it to eliminate excess salt, this is probably not necessary with high end products though.
I'm sure that your seedlings will recover fast Patrick!

Cya

Datil

Another Glog I'll have to start keeping an eye on. Looks like a great start to 2013 Patrick! I would be afraid the spiders would try to run and i'd hurt them trying to stop/catch them from doing it....lol what do I know though.

I want to get some mychorize this year too and I think I might fart around with some Co2 as well. This year should be an interesting one....first things first, I've got aphids to deal with on my OW's........good luck Patrick!

Thanks guys!

King good luck with the damn aphids. I always end up with them on my over winters too. Frustrating little turds.

Datil I won't be using the cheap coco coir for germination any longer that's for sure.

Holy moly Patrick, those roots are super fuzzy.. They won't have a problem soaking up any nutes in the soil...

Nice healthy roots :)
I really love using the coco coir for germinating and first stage growing. It gets better results than anything else I've tried by a large margin.

Thanks all. Dan if I run out of room I'll be sure to let you know.

Thought I would show off the peppers from last year that are still in the 20oz kegger cups. Just never got around to potting them up. Anyway one of them is running amuck with pods. They don't get enough good light to produce great pods but they're doing the best they can.

DSC027802300x1725_zps323afab6.jpg

And the cuttings I took are starting to develop roots.

DSC027762300x1725_zpsb7ae56ac.jpg

DSC027792300x1725_zpsd436d002.jpg

I may have to look into doing more of this instead of trying to overwintering plants this fall.

Good lord, pods from 20 ounce cups? I see a reason there to line windows with them just for peppers year round to snack on.

That's pretty awesome. Lets see some picture of all the seedlings! I am having horrible germination this year. Might have to put another batch to germinate soon just to keep my season alive. And now you have me interested in trying 20ounce pepper grows haha.

Great Job Patrick. Next year I might try the coco-noir. I have 13 of 14 types pop their heads. I know update my glog--tried yesterday but was having trouble with photobucket. Hope you got your surprise I sent you---not as good as AIPES but I try. Anyway Great job my friend.

Back