• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2015

Okay, time to get the 2015 grow season underway!

Round One seeding 01/01/15, 3 seeds per plug x 2.  Dates are hook dates (as of 2/5/15).

In Jiffy Plugs:
Roatan Pumpkin……………………………...Honduran Market seed, 3rd generation………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 2….…100%
Congo Trinidad Yellow……………………...Sanarda, 3rd generation…………….……………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 3, 1/12 x 1……………..…84%
Fatali x Red Savina………………………….Spankycolts, 4th generation………..…….…..1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1,1/20 x 1….100%
Yellow Scorpion……………………………..Spankycolts, 4th generation……………………………..1/10 x 5, 1/11 x 1……………….……..…100%
Scotch Bonnet TFM………………………...Trippa, 3rd generation…………………...……………1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 2…….…100%
Scotch Bonnet, chocolate………………...GaGrowhead, 2nd generation……..1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, red…………………………….Spankycolts, 3rd generation………...……….1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/14 x 1, 1/15 x 1…..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, chocolate…………………….GaGrowhead, 2nd generation…………………………..1/15 x 1,1/18 x 1…………..……………….33%
Mystery Cross……………………………….Trippa, F3………………………………………..1/9 x 3, 1/10 x 2, 1/22 x 1………..……...…………100%
Jamaican Red Habanero………………….Devv, 2nd generation…………….………….....1/9 x 2, 1/10 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Primo………………………………………...MGold, 2nd génération………………………….1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/14 x 1, 1/28 x 1, 2/5 x 1.…100%
Goronong……………………………………Trippa………………………………………………………..1/7 x 2, 1/8 x 3, 1/11 x 1……….……….100%
Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot, yellow……..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/7 x 1, 1/8 x 3, 1/9 x 2………………...100%
Naga Brain, yellow………………………..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/8 x 2, 1/9 x 2, 1/10 x1, 1/11 x 1…….100%
Datil………………………………………….Romy6, 2nd generation…………………………………1/11 x 1, 1/17 x 1,1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1………67%

In Aerogarden: 3 seeds per plug except Cabe Gendot, 2 seeds.
Cheiro Recife………………………………Stickman, 2nd generation………………………….……….1/17 x 1, 1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1…………..100%
Lemon Drop………………………………..onefowl1………………………………………………………1/20 x 1……………………………………33%
Cabe Gendot……………………………….Trippa…………………………………………………………1/16 x 1, 1/28 x 1…………….…………100%
Inca Lost……………………………………Peppermania 2012, 2nd generation
Charapita………………………………..…Stc3248, 2nd generation

Plants already underway - top, Aji Amarillo, peruvian market, 3rd generation. Bottom, Orange Manzano, Stc3248, 3rd generation:
_DSC2532a_zpsee89d223.jpg

_DSC2531a_zps1428910a.jpg

Here's one for ya.

AeroGarden, 6 Bird's Eye HTM sown, 0/6 germinated.
Jiffy Pellets, 6 Bird's Eye HTM sown, 0/6 germinated.

So being disgusted, I put 36 seeds in 12 peat cells hoping for a hook.
I put them in the grow shelf thinking that the warming and cooling
cycles in the garage might snap them out of their torpor.

Today, I looked in to see this   :rofl:   Go figure:
_DSC2691a_zpsmvqsyeav.jpg

Some are hard to spot, but I counted 12 this morning and 21 this evening.  
I expect to see a few more tomorrow.  Feast or famine!

organic pepper said:
Wow Paul!  Goliath got huge from the last time saw that bad boys pic. I think it was like 5" or 6" then. Just awesome!  Cheers Pal  Thanks, buddy!

It is a mega plant, for sure!  Now to baby it through until plant out.

Roguejim said:
Those roots want out of those pots and into some nice elephant poo!  I'm surprised you have pods already.

You said a mouthful there, Jim!

I am a bit surprised, myself.  They are 4 months from sowing, started on Nov. 15.  
Last season I started too early, and previous seasons, too late.  Maybe this is the ticket.
Time will tell.  The elephant poo is composting nicely in all the containers, just waiting
for some hungry chili plants!

PaulG said:
Here's one for ya.

AeroGarden, 6 Bird's Eye HTM sown, 0/6 germinated.
Jiffy Pellets, 6 Bird's Eye HTM sown, 0/6 germinated.

So being disgusted, I put 36 seeds in 12 peat cells hoping for a hook.
I put them in the grow shelf thinking that the warming and cooling
cycles in the garage might snap them out of their torpor.

Today, I looked in to see this   :rofl:   Go figure:
_DSC2691a_zpsmvqsyeav.jpg

Some are hard to spot, but I counted 12 this morning and 21 this evening.  
I expect to see a few more tomorrow.  Feast or famine!

:rofl: :rofl:  Same thing happened to me, but I didn't plant 36, just about a dozen or so. What if they all sprout. :eek:

Pinoy83 said:
wow more babies....when are you gonna stop sowing...but there's no such thing...keep em growing my friend.... :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
I had to try a few more Bird's Eye, my friend.  
It's such a great annuum, I couldn't see not having one this season!

I promise this is my last pepper seed sowing for the season   :rolleyes:

Jeff H said:

:rofl: :rofl:  Same thing happened to me, but I didn't plant 36, just about a dozen or so. What if they all sprout. :eek:
I had a ton of seeds, so I figured at 0/12 germinating, if I planted 36 i might get a couple   ;)

If anyone in the Portland area wants some Bird's Eye starts, I'm their guy   :lol:

PaulG said:
I had to try a few more Bird's Eye, my friend.  
It's such a great annuum, I couldn't see not having one this season!

I promise this is my last pepper seed sowing for the season   :rolleyes:

I had a ton of seeds, so I figured at 0/12 germinating, if I planted 36 i might get a couple   ;)

If anyone in the Portland area wants some Bird's Eye starts, I'm their guy   :lol:
I sow ended up with 21 stuffing scotch bonnets lol
So here I am adding more seeds I am going to sow the latest sbj7 after watching Nigel's  vid I have seed form wicked mike cream fatal I when I get it form cone9
Nigel says the Jonah is his favorite super what do you think Paul I normally only grow one super .
I have seed form wicked mike of the Jonah and Yellow primo as well as some other 7 pots all thinks to wicked mike

Plantguy76 said:
Nigel says the Jonah is his favorite super what do you think Paul I normally only grow one super .
Nigel is right on.  The 7 Pot Jonah is awesome.  So is the 7 Pot Burgundy,
and the Bonda x Yellow 7.  Bhut Jolokia, chocolate is pretty awesome, too.  
Followed by about 10 others on my list   ;)  Pretty tough to pick one favorite.  
that's why pepper grows tend to get out of hand   :D

I have 29/36 Bird's Eye up as of this evening   :crazy:

PaulG said:
Nigel is right on.  The 7 Pot Jonah is awesome.  So is the 7 Pot Burgundy,
and the Bonda x Yellow 7.  Bhut Jolokia, chocolate is pretty awesome, too.  
Followed by about 10 others on my list   ;)  Pretty tough to pick one favorite.  
that's why pepper grows tend to get out of hand   :D

I have 29/36 Bird's Eye up as of this evening   :crazy:
Tell me about it I am having a hard time deciding what to sow next form the new seeds I have received the cream fatalii a given when I get them form cone9 and the 3 red moa seeds decision's decision's lol

Well, Jason, I guess that's not a terrible problem to have.  
If you ever see anything on my grow log you like, let me
know and I'll send some seeds when harvest time rolls around.
I do have some seeds in stock, so I can send from those, too.

Good Luck, buddy!

now this songs going to be going through your head as you chop those little babies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWw5i3x4Xlo

:rofl:  While I was thinning, I accidentally pulled up
the sprout that was by itself in one of the middle cells.
It got caught in the handle of the scissors    :censored:

Mo' Murda is right   :neutral:

A few thoughts first what does the tfm bonnet look like and taste like compared to moa
Second is the roatan pumpkin a baccatum or pubecesns and the same as above?
I was also wondering how one comes up with a chocolate variety like if a black Habanero crossed with a yellow moa or red what would the result be same with a chocolate Congo etc

The thing with the Bird's Eye seeds sounds like my Kapijas this spring... I wanted 40 plants to split with my Mom, so I sowed 72 seeds and 58 have germinated so far. She says she'll take every one I give her but she's in Minnesota until the beginning of April and I can't hand them off to her until she gets back. I expect we'll manage. :P

Beautiful looking OW Aji and Manzano plants Paul, they must really like it where you have them!  Pods too... Bonus! :dance:

PaulG said:
The greenhouse Yellow Ajis and Orange Manzanos are outgrowing their space.  
I had to bring them outside for some reorganizing and watering.  Goliath is in the  middle
All looks great but that is impressive!
I hope one day to approach that mastery! :D

Small update on the Round Two sowings.   There are a couple of more to go, but they
are not quite ready for the 2-liter pots, yet.  The dates on the name tags are the hook
dates, so these range from 27-32 days along.  All were sown on 14 February:
_DSC2696a_zpsuecbqcuj.jpg

_DSC2701a_zpsd0ffrcsu.jpg

_DSC2698a_zpsbkhqyksu.jpg

_DSC2702a_zpsgxqdwo3k.jpg

_DSC2699a_zpsc2v8hfsx.jpg

I lost a half inch when I transplanted this one a little deeper.  I'm doomed in the Growdown    :D
_DSC2703a_zpsswie9ma5.jpg

_DSC2700a_zps9wjmxfua.jpg

_DSC2697a_zpslxlqv2e8.jpg

Plantguy76 said:
A few thoughts first what does the tfm bonnet look like and taste like compared to moa
Second is the roatan pumpkin a baccatum or pubecesns and the same as above?
I was also wondering how one comes up with a chocolate variety like if a black Habanero crossed with a yellow moa or red what would the result be same with a chocolate Congo etc

The pods on the TFM were bigger than my MoA bonnets.  
These seeds came from Trippa originally; it's now in it's
3rd generation.  The first season, the pods were not the
typical bonnet shape, but the second generation had a
few more typical phenotypes.  It is the only yellow bonnet
I'm growing, along with two chocolate ones.  Typical bonnet
flavor and heat, it seems to me.

The Roatan Pumpkin is a chinense so has the definite chinense
flavor and heat.  I got the seeds in Roatan, Honduras, where it
is indigenous.  The folks there called them 'Mountain Peppers'.  
The pods I got were smallish, but last years pods were much bigger.  
It is the only yellow habanero type I'm growing, along with JA red.

Can't answer your last question.  There are some folk on the forum
who could, though.

stickman said:
The thing with the Bird's Eye seeds sounds like my Kapijas this spring... I wanted 40 plants to split with my Mom, so I sowed 72 seeds and 58 have germinated so far. She says she'll take every one I give her but she's in Minnesota until the beginning of April and I can't hand them off to her until she gets back. I expect we'll manage. :P  Feast or famine, eh?

Beautiful looking OW Aji and Manzano plants Paul, they must really like it where you have them!  Pods too... Bonus! :dance:

Thanks, Rick.  they are awesome varieties, for sure.  In this climate the sow date is critical.  
It seems as if my Nov. 15th seeding is about right.  Goliath is now setting pods regularly,
and the other two Aji Amarillos are starting to set pods, as well.  The two Manzanos on
the deck under the canopy have also each set a couple of small pods.  One is even
starting to swell a little.  We'll see how the cooler Spring weather affects the podding.  
I'm hoping that they will shrug off any cool temps below 40-ish, and our PNW climate
is favorable for them this season!

Your grow is really steaming along, Rick!  Good work    :clap:

Essegi said:
All looks great but that is impressive!
I hope one day to approach that mastery! :D

It's all in the genes, Giancarlo.  I have noticed that when I save seed from my pods,
they seem to get more robust and climate tolerant, within reason, of course, with
each succeeding generation.  I hope to get some of my lines out to 7 generations,
so I'm about halfway there!

I'm not sure about my level of mastery, but thanks for the compliment.  I think you
have a pretty good knack for pepper-growing as well, my friend!

looking great, that goats weed looks much better than mine, mine are just tall and lanky like a typical annum. Do annums like to be topped, I haven't topped any of them because they don't look like they want to throw and side growth really but yours look like it would. Here's mine

D3monic said:
looking great Thanks, Michael! , that goats weed looks much better than mine, mine are just tall and lanky like a typical annum. Do annums like to be topped, I haven't topped any of them because they don't look like they want to throw and side growth really but yours look like it would. Here's mine
In my own experience I think most peppers respond well to topping,
especially if you like bushier plants.  If you top them they will branch out.  
It's nature's way   ;)  Check out Denniz's aerogarden grow.
If they throw out too many branches, you can always remove a few.  
Think bonsai, but bigger

I haven't topped any of these, but they are very well-fed and under 
T5HO lights on the grow shelf.

The only capsicum I've had trouble getting to branch out is the c. rhomboidium
0nefowl1 gave me.  I have to keep topping it, but it hardly branches out at all.  
I'm going to have get nasty with it come plant-out time.  Maybe the elephant
poo will kick it up a notch!

Plantguy76 said:
Thanks Paul your plants are beautiful and well on there way love there color of green nice and dark :high:
Thanks, Jason.  I think the dark green color is due to the intense light from the
T5HO lights, and the fish fertilizer/cal-mag they dine on.  The greenhouse plants
are a shade lighter since we have so much cloudy weather here.  Once we get
more consistent sun, they darken up quickly.  Reminds me, those plants need a
hit of kelp foliar spray.  Gotta go!

Back