• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2015

Okay, time to get the 2015 grow season underway!

Round One seeding 01/01/15, 3 seeds per plug x 2.  Dates are hook dates (as of 2/5/15).

In Jiffy Plugs:
Roatan Pumpkin……………………………...Honduran Market seed, 3rd generation………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 2….…100%
Congo Trinidad Yellow……………………...Sanarda, 3rd generation…………….……………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 3, 1/12 x 1……………..…84%
Fatali x Red Savina………………………….Spankycolts, 4th generation………..…….…..1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1,1/20 x 1….100%
Yellow Scorpion……………………………..Spankycolts, 4th generation……………………………..1/10 x 5, 1/11 x 1……………….……..…100%
Scotch Bonnet TFM………………………...Trippa, 3rd generation…………………...……………1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 2…….…100%
Scotch Bonnet, chocolate………………...GaGrowhead, 2nd generation……..1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, red…………………………….Spankycolts, 3rd generation………...……….1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/14 x 1, 1/15 x 1…..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, chocolate…………………….GaGrowhead, 2nd generation…………………………..1/15 x 1,1/18 x 1…………..……………….33%
Mystery Cross……………………………….Trippa, F3………………………………………..1/9 x 3, 1/10 x 2, 1/22 x 1………..……...…………100%
Jamaican Red Habanero………………….Devv, 2nd generation…………….………….....1/9 x 2, 1/10 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Primo………………………………………...MGold, 2nd génération………………………….1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/14 x 1, 1/28 x 1, 2/5 x 1.…100%
Goronong……………………………………Trippa………………………………………………………..1/7 x 2, 1/8 x 3, 1/11 x 1……….……….100%
Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot, yellow……..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/7 x 1, 1/8 x 3, 1/9 x 2………………...100%
Naga Brain, yellow………………………..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/8 x 2, 1/9 x 2, 1/10 x1, 1/11 x 1…….100%
Datil………………………………………….Romy6, 2nd generation…………………………………1/11 x 1, 1/17 x 1,1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1………67%

In Aerogarden: 3 seeds per plug except Cabe Gendot, 2 seeds.
Cheiro Recife………………………………Stickman, 2nd generation………………………….……….1/17 x 1, 1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1…………..100%
Lemon Drop………………………………..onefowl1………………………………………………………1/20 x 1……………………………………33%
Cabe Gendot……………………………….Trippa…………………………………………………………1/16 x 1, 1/28 x 1…………….…………100%
Inca Lost……………………………………Peppermania 2012, 2nd generation
Charapita………………………………..…Stc3248, 2nd generation

Plants already underway - top, Aji Amarillo, peruvian market, 3rd generation. Bottom, Orange Manzano, Stc3248, 3rd generation:
_DSC2532a_zpsee89d223.jpg

_DSC2531a_zps1428910a.jpg

tsurrie said:
Nice plants Paul, they look perfect... Goat's Weed looks so fine, it seems like it's exploding ... I had that kind of Goat's a couple of years ago... I hope mine gets like these
Thanks, Uros.  The Goaties are a pretty robust variety, all right.
I love their off-green, fuzzy look.  And the pods aren't bad either.  
Great for powders.

From what I have seen on your grow log, I'm sure yours will do
just fine!
Devv said:
Looking good Paul!

Spring has sprung here. I'm hoping I can get in the garden by Wednesday; it's rather wet after close to 2.5"s of rain.

Keep it green!
I'll hold the good thought for you, Scott!

I'd love to see your beautiful garden full of chilis!

That rain will serve them well when you get them
planted.  Nuttin' like a little deep moisture!

Sure do like the looks of that Goat's Weed! Have I sent you any seeds from the Romy Mystery X Goat's Weed??? If not I will for sure. Very cool plant...goat's weed fuzz but like 7' tall. Still not completely stable, some have more fuzz...some have pods that blacken...trying to isolate the ones with the classic tree hab shaped pods that darken in the sun on a silvery-fuzzy super tall plant...getting close!!! 

Sounds awesome, buddy!

You did send the mystery/GW cross last season.  
I had a plant that grew to almost 11' tall.  

10'8" to be exact   :rofl: :
_DSC2366a_zps4a2c0590.jpg

I'm not growing it this season, but if you ever get the 
desired phenotype you are looking for, I'd love some seeds!  
BTW I sent seeds from last year's wilds harvest; but can't
remember if they got there or not.  

Sorry, bad case of midzeimer's   :confused:

I did save some seed from this plants pods.

Okay just some information passing.  This is the link for the NWChiliFest in September.

Would be cool to see lots of folks there this year, 9/11-9/13!  C'mon y'all!

PaulG said:
In my own experience I think most peppers respond well to topping,
especially if you like bushier plants.  If you top them they will branch out.  
It's nature's way   ;)  Check out Denniz's aerogarden grow.
If they throw out too many branches, you can always remove a few.  
Think bonsai, but bigger

I haven't topped any of these, but they are very well-fed and under 
T5HO lights on the grow shelf.

The only capsicum I've had trouble getting to branch out is the c. rhomboidium
0nefowl1 gave me.  I have to keep topping it, but it hardly branches out at all.  
I'm going to have get nasty with it come plant-out time.  Maybe the elephant
poo will kick it up a notch!

Thanks, Jason.  I think the dark green color is due to the intense light from the
T5HO lights, and the fish fertilizer/cal-mag they dine on.  The greenhouse plants
are a shade lighter since we have so much cloudy weather here.  Once we get
more consistent sun, they darken up quickly.  Reminds me, those plants need a
hit of kelp foliar spray.  Gotta go!
In 2013 I got a not Caribbean red habanero form the local grocery store well my cat got to it and topped it.
So I got a big pot and planted it in it then put it out on the deck.
It was still cool then but I reasoned that it was harden off form being outside at the store.
Well that thing ended up being a huge habanero bush .
I should of saved it but didn't

Looking great Paul. Like everyone said, that Goatsweed really stood out. Your plants seem pretty stocky and thick, looking nice!
I had a parishioner drop off a greenhouse he wasn't using today.  It's 6' by 8' so I'm pretty excited about that.  Just thought I'd share that with the greenhouse master!

Pulpiteer said:
Looking great Paul. Like everyone said, that Goatsweed really stood out. Your plants seem pretty stocky and thick, looking nice!
I had a parishioner drop off a greenhouse he wasn't using today.  It's 6' by 8' so I'm pretty excited about that.  Just thought I'd share that with the greenhouse master!
Oh, man, Andy, that is just too awesome.  
You are going to love it!  

Double your grow immediately     :rofl:

The Goat's Weed seed originally came from
Shane back in 2012.  It has produced a nice line.

I should have mentioned that in my response to him.  Sorry, Shane!
It is one of my favorites, for sure, aesthetically and powderly.

No credit necessary for that GW...I had two varieties one more of a shrub and the other more a tree. Looks like you got the shrub type. Don't remember my source for those, but I think they came off a seed train. The tree-like plant was from seeds saved off a frozen back nursery plant. Sure is a great plant and it is one of my absolute favorites for powder.

Thought I sent you some seeds for that cross!!! 11' boom!!! I really want to stabilize it for a growdown contender.

D3monic said:
I hope my goats weed doesn't get that ridiculous . that's just huge. 
That Goat's Weed x Mystery Annuum is the wildest plant I've had.  
It was in a 8-10 gallon container is all.  Even dwarfed tall baccatums.  
I hope Shane can get the cross stabilized.   Would be very cool, indeed.

PaulS said:
That goats weed plant is crazy! I planted a few of those the other day I wonder how big they will get!
The height of that plant comes from its mama's side...which was a Tree Hab. In spite of the name it is actually an annum variety. The daddy was a Goats Weed, so it has some of those characteristics as well including some fuzz and darkening of the pods when exposed to sun. I am trying to isolate for the tallest, fuzziest and darkest pods...if I can get it stabilized with those three consistent...I will name it and pass out seeds...original seed (unintentional cross) came from Jamie (Romy6) so the name will probably reflect that.

Small update.  The rain and wind kept me from getting more pix, but I'll try again tomorrow.

The Aji Amarillos are about 40" tall.  Seed sown on Nov. 15.  Both have small pods on them:
_DSC2715a_zpszclqcxct.jpg

Some of the Round One plants.  The measurements and hook dates are written on the blue tape.  
This JA Red Habanero is the plant that forked at the cotys:
_DSC2710a_zpsvpkfxkci.jpg

_DSC2712a_zpsi624e6lc.jpg

_DSC2713a_zpsjvgtczxn.jpg

Hopefully there will be more for you to see tomorrow.

Trippa said:
Glad to see if that Birdseye htm finally got some offspring.... it doesn't rain it pours ;

You are right, Tristen!  I hope to have a pic of your Mystery Cross F3 tomorrow.  It is a bruiser!

PaulS said:
That goats weed plant is crazy! I planted a few of those the other day I wonder how big they will get!

I've only grown them in 3-gallon pots, and they get a over 2' in those.  
I'll put that one on a much bigger pot at plant-out, so perhaps much
taller.  As Shane said, this strain seems to be a bushier phenotype, so
we'll see what we'll see!

stc3248 said:
The height of that plant comes from its mama's side...which was a Tree Hab. In spite of the name it is actually an annum variety. The daddy was a Goats Weed, so it has some of those characteristics as well including some fuzz and darkening of the pods when exposed to sun. I am trying to isolate for the tallest, fuzziest and darkest pods...if I can get it stabilized with those three consistent...I will name it and pass out seeds...original seed (unintentional cross) came from Jamie (Romy6) so the name will probably reflect that.

Thanks for the history lesson, Shane.  
It's great to know where the varieties come from!

looking good, I wish I would of tracked hook dates. I only wrote down the sow dates :( 
The chocolate scotch bonnets look like they will produce good for you. 

Thanks, Michael.  I just started keeping better track myself.

I have two chocolate Scotch Bonnets.  I'll try to get the other
one up here tomorrow so you can compare them.  I think
they are my favorite bonnet, with the TFM right on their heels.

Woah, what happened to Psycho Clown?

lol I play with my avatars based on mood, it will go back to clown as usual though. I just got some Chocolate sb seeds in the mail today along with some Choc 7pot, red savina and gold cayenne. Going to pop a few of those along with Tony Sherwoods carbanero here in the next few days. Might even do it tonight. Mostly looking forward to the choc sb out of those.

D3monic said:
lol I play with my avatars based on mood, it will go back to clown as usual though. I just got some Chocolate sb seeds in the mail today along with some Choc 7pot, red savina and gold cayenne. Going to pop a few of those along with Tony Sherwoods carbanero here in the next few days. Might even do it tonight. Mostly looking forward to the choc sb out of those.
I guess I'm just a creature of habit.  Same old pod week after week   :rolleyes:

Those are all great varieties.  Get 'em in the germinator!

Back