• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2015

Okay, time to get the 2015 grow season underway!

Round One seeding 01/01/15, 3 seeds per plug x 2.  Dates are hook dates (as of 2/5/15).

In Jiffy Plugs:
Roatan Pumpkin……………………………...Honduran Market seed, 3rd generation………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 2….…100%
Congo Trinidad Yellow……………………...Sanarda, 3rd generation…………….……………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 3, 1/12 x 1……………..…84%
Fatali x Red Savina………………………….Spankycolts, 4th generation………..…….…..1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1,1/20 x 1….100%
Yellow Scorpion……………………………..Spankycolts, 4th generation……………………………..1/10 x 5, 1/11 x 1……………….……..…100%
Scotch Bonnet TFM………………………...Trippa, 3rd generation…………………...……………1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 2…….…100%
Scotch Bonnet, chocolate………………...GaGrowhead, 2nd generation……..1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, red…………………………….Spankycolts, 3rd generation………...……….1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/14 x 1, 1/15 x 1…..…100%
Bhut Jolokia, chocolate…………………….GaGrowhead, 2nd generation…………………………..1/15 x 1,1/18 x 1…………..……………….33%
Mystery Cross……………………………….Trippa, F3………………………………………..1/9 x 3, 1/10 x 2, 1/22 x 1………..……...…………100%
Jamaican Red Habanero………………….Devv, 2nd generation…………….………….....1/9 x 2, 1/10 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1, 1/14 x 1..…100%
Primo………………………………………...MGold, 2nd génération………………………….1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/14 x 1, 1/28 x 1, 2/5 x 1.…100%
Goronong……………………………………Trippa………………………………………………………..1/7 x 2, 1/8 x 3, 1/11 x 1……….……….100%
Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot, yellow……..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/7 x 1, 1/8 x 3, 1/9 x 2………………...100%
Naga Brain, yellow………………………..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/8 x 2, 1/9 x 2, 1/10 x1, 1/11 x 1…….100%
Datil………………………………………….Romy6, 2nd generation…………………………………1/11 x 1, 1/17 x 1,1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1………67%

In Aerogarden: 3 seeds per plug except Cabe Gendot, 2 seeds.
Cheiro Recife………………………………Stickman, 2nd generation………………………….……….1/17 x 1, 1/18 x 1, 1/19 x 1…………..100%
Lemon Drop………………………………..onefowl1………………………………………………………1/20 x 1……………………………………33%
Cabe Gendot……………………………….Trippa…………………………………………………………1/16 x 1, 1/28 x 1…………….…………100%
Inca Lost……………………………………Peppermania 2012, 2nd generation
Charapita………………………………..…Stc3248, 2nd generation

Plants already underway - top, Aji Amarillo, peruvian market, 3rd generation. Bottom, Orange Manzano, Stc3248, 3rd generation:
_DSC2532a_zpsee89d223.jpg

_DSC2531a_zps1428910a.jpg

PaulS said:
The plants look great for 10-12 weeks.
Are you gonna let those flowers do there own thing or pull them?
Thanks, Paul.

I'll just leave them; there are simply too many to deal with,
and I want the plants to progress in their natural fashion.  
If they are ready to flower, so be it!    :rolleyes:

Nice looking plants Paul things are speeding up now we will all be taking care of jungles soon some of us are farther ahead then others though lol

You're really making some great tree trunks on those plants Paul! Very nice! Lush green vegetation looks nice and all...but a great gardener builds up that foundation! You're going to have such a great year with those starts!!!

Devv said:
Very nice looking plants Paul!

You sir have a green body thumb!
Thanks, buddy.  God is good.

Cool, breezy day here, so no hardening off for now.
The greenhouse is crowded, so the Manzanos and
two Aji Amarillos have to be outside going forward.  
I'll leave goliath in the greenhouse, but it's sitting
on the ground and touching the roof    :confused:

Plantguy76 said:
Nice looking plants Paul things are speeding up now we will all be taking care of jungles soon some of us are farther ahead then others though lol

Lol here, too!  There's still plenty of time for mishaps before plant out here!  
Just gotta hang on for another Month or so.  Hope you are not part of the
big freeze I see forecast for the East and South.

stc3248 said:
You're really making some great tree trunks on those plants Paul! Very nice! Lush green vegetation looks nice and all...but a great gardener builds up that foundation! You're going to have such a great year with those starts!!!

Thanks, Shane!  I'm hoping your prognostication skills are good   ;)

A mishap with my two tallest plants, however.  I had 'em out for a bit of
sun yesterday, and a wind gust blew them off the table.  the big Red
Bhut lost half its top, and Tristen's Mystery Cross F3 lost about 2/3 of
its canopy.  Both plants will survive, but that Bhut was the best
specimen of Jolokia I've ever grown    :mad:     :censored:     :silenced:   

Hope all is well with you, my friend.

Whoo! Looking great Paul! Are you waiting on any particular set of conditions to repot your flowering plants? Getting so many plants flowering and setting pods already bodes well for your season. You da man!

Trippa said:
Your plants are looking salubrious Paul! ... The Cili Goronong looks like it is eager to crank out plenty of pods !!
Hey, Thanks, Tristen!  Your seeds always produce awesome plants!
Don't forget to PM me your new addy so I can send you some of
those chocolate bonnet seeds!

The Chili Goronong is robust and loaded with flowers.

TrentL said:
Wow... those are ready to hit the dirt, man!

When does your plant out date generally fall at?

Hey, Trent, you are so right.  I wish I could get 'em into
the large containers.   I need a 16 x 20 greenhouse!

I usually plant out according to the Spring freeze probabilities.  Historically,
for 36˚, that's May 8 for 50%, and it goes down 10% every four days thereafter.
For 32˚, that's April 14 for 50%, dropping down to 20% by April 28.

That being said, I use the long-range forecasts to see if I can cheat a little.
This looks to be a warmer than usual Spring, but there are still some mid-30's
forecast through April 10.  Once that gets here, I'll probably plant out the
Manzanos and Ajis, and see about the other varieties as the weather unfolds.

Hope that wasn't too much information, buddy!

stickman said:
Whoo! Looking great Paul! Are you waiting on any particular set of conditions to repot your flowering plants? Getting so many plants flowering and setting pods already bodes well for your season. You da man!

Thanks, my friend!  I won't pot up anything now until final plant-out.  If what
I said to Trent makes any sense, I hope to be planting out by mid April.  That
may be a tad risky, will just have to wait and see what happens.  Our average
minimums don't hit 50˚ until June, so plants here have to survive a bit less than
optimum Spring nights.  Even July and August only have average lows around 53 to 54˚

I'm wondering if you got hit by the predicted cold weather forecast a few days ago?

PaulG said:

Hope that wasn't too much information, buddy!

We're a long way apart and our weather patterns are different, but I plant out on Memorial day here.

I planted out earlier in 2013, three rows went out in early May. We had several 36-40 degree nights and even though I covered all of the plants when it got below 40, I got pretty bad leaf drop. 

Those first rows grew up stunted, produced less, and I had problems all year with them breaking / falling over. Tons of stakes and rope to keep them upright.

The other four rows went in around May 20-something and those plants grew tall, strong, and produced like crazy.

Moral of the story, be careful of rushing it! If you get the peppers in the dirt too early, and they get too cold, it can permanently stunt them!

I won't plant out until I see zero chance of 40 or lower weather on the forecast.

TrentL said:

We're a long way apart and our weather patterns are different, but I plant out on Memorial day here.

I planted out earlier in 2013, three rows went out in early May. We had several 36-40 degree nights and even though I covered all of the plants when it got below 40, I got pretty bad leaf drop. 

Those first rows grew up stunted, produced less, and I had problems all year with them breaking / falling over. Tons of stakes and rope to keep them upright.

The other four rows went in around May 20-something and those plants grew tall, strong, and produced like crazy.

Moral of the story, be careful of rushing it! If you get the peppers in the dirt too early, and they get too cold, it can permanently stunt them!

I won't plant out until I see zero chance of 40 or lower weather on the forecast.
You are right on, my friend!  It's tough to wait.  Last year, some didn't go out until late May.

the Aji Amarillo and Manzano can withstand cold to 40˚F without too much problem, but colder than that is sketchy.

I like to wait until mid-40's for the chinenses and annuums.

Speaking of Manzanos, they got out for some brief dappled sun today.  Woot!
Those are 1.7 gallon pots:
_DSC2742a_zpscjhqtwfq.jpg

I'm always mad at myself for bringing them out too early and then building shelters for covering them so they wont freeze ... hope this season I'll be smarter and wait at least a week or two more ;)

PaulG said:
I'm wondering if you got hit by the predicted cold weather forecast a few days ago?

Oh yeah... it's been a really cold spring here. The ground's still frozen, but the sun is intense and it's been melting the snow pretty quickly despite the cold temperatures. My hope is that the ground will be thawed enough to work in another week or so, and it warms up enough for me to plant out in my plasticulture setup before the end of the month. Certainly by early May it should happen.

Definitely Woot on the Manzanos! I hope you have a bumper crop of pods on that one!

I've had similar experience with planting out too early.  They just never caught up to other planted later when things were warmer.  We've had some beautiful days here, but it's supposed to get down to 34ºF tomorrow morning.  So everything is staying inside for the time being.

Speaking of tomorrow morning, all you Left Coasters should get up early tomorrow to check out the total lunar eclipse.

tsurrie said:
I'm always mad at myself for bringing them out too early and then building shelters for covering them so they wont freeze ... hope this season I'll be smarter and wait at least a week or two more ;)
I hear ya, brother!  My worry here is that there can be a sneaker frost
even in late May.  I usually wait until we are down to a 20-30% probability
(end of April), and even that makes me pretty nervous.  I feel more confident
if I can wait until mid-May, when the probability of a 36.5˚F drops below 40%.  
It's always a crap shoot.

Trident chilli said:
Great plants Paul and you have a nice couple of maple bonsai to show them off

Thanks, John.  This is my favorite time of year for the bonsai maples.  
These are all Sangu Kaku japanese maples from volunteer seed.

Hope the Hampshire spring is being good to you!

stickman said:

Oh yeah... it's been a really cold spring here. The ground's still frozen, but the sun is intense and it's been melting the snow pretty quickly despite the cold temperatures. My hope is that the ground will be thawed enough to work in another week or so, and it warms up enough for me to plant out in my plasticulture setup before the end of the month. Certainly by early May it should happen.

Definitely Woot on the Manzanos! I hope you have a bumper crop of pods on that one!

I'm hoping to get a real harvest of Manzanos for the first time in four seasons.
I won't hold my breath until that happens!

Sending warm thoughts your way, bro!

Sawyer said:
I've had similar experience with planting out too early.  They just never caught up to other planted later when things were warmer.  We've had some beautiful days here, but it's supposed to get down to 34ºF tomorrow morning.  So everything is staying inside for the time being.

Speaking of tomorrow morning, all you Left Coasters should get up early tomorrow to check out the total lunar eclipse.
Sounds like we are experiencing the same weather pattern right now, John.
Days are decent, if moist and cool.  We had 35˚F last night,
and more low- to mid-30's in the forecast through April 8.  then it 'warms' up to
low 40's at night!  The neighborhood forecast gives us  the low 40's a couple of
days earlier.  I'm hoping to get the Ajis and Manzanos planted out by April 15, 
depending on how the long range forecast holds up.

Back