• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2020

Hope your weather improves soon, Paul! We had a terribly poor summer last year but this year it has been great. Thermal summer started about 10 days early and just has not stopped at all.

I followed your lead this year and put a whole lot of stuff in 3-gal containers. We'll see how well they do.

podz said:
Hope your weather improves soon, Paul! We had a terribly poor summer last year but this year it has been great. Thermal summer started about 10 days early and just has not stopped at all.

I followed your lead this year and put a whole lot of stuff in 3-gal containers. We'll see how well they do.
Glad to hear someone north of the 45th parallel
is having a decent Spring season, Mika!

The forecast says around 85F starting tomorrow.
The rest of the month looks good according to
National Weather Service and AccuWeather.
Mostly sunny and warm. Really looking forward
to more than 2 or 3 days of sun in a row. The
sunny weather will probably shock the plants  :rofl:

The 3-gallon containers are more than sufficient
to grow a good sized plants. They need a bit more
feeding, and more attention to watering. I hope you
have good luck with them  :D

PaulG said:
These pods are not fully ripe yet. They will
end up bright red if it ripens like the last
specimen I grew.

Well, here's my plant... Would you say it's the same :whistle: I obtained the seeds from Vertiloom, and their images resemble your plant. I have now exposed mine to more sun, to see if it influences the leaf colour..

4H70pcL.jpg

Hey Paul!

Just thought I would mention...I brought some of the pods to my old work place, I handed them off to my replacement guy.
LB mentioned that he seemed to put them in his car, and when I sent a text to my old technician, asking him if he shared, he stated:
" I don't think he's taking many home after we sampled one of those ones that looks like a ghost pepper (thunder mystery), it lit him up."

I wish I had been the fly on the wall ;)

@ Dieter:

My Chili Costs Rica is a c. frutescens, and had
dark foliage even under lights. My first thinking
is that they are not the same pepper. Will be
interesting to see the pods on your specimen.

My plant was topped early, but past specimens
that weren’t had a bushy upright habit like yours.

@ Scott:

That is cruel and unusual punishment!

But, funny!

DownRiver said:
Hey! I thought you said your plants are sucking. That Chili Costa Rica sure is showing off. She's kinda sexy looking lol.
It's the chinenses that are looking really sucky.
Most of the wilds and the baccatums look okay,
as well as the c. frutescens Chili costa Rica.

Hoping for better things in the next few weeks.

duckling.jpg

Edit

For me, most chinense rarely appear to do much outside until late June.  They really take off in the following months, but it by then it usually seems like a race to get ripe pods before things cool off enough that ripening slows and rain becomes an issue again. I'm happy mine look healthy despite all the cool/wet, but they don't appear much bigger to the eye than they did 6 weeks ago.  Oh well, things usually work out fine, just the PNW seems to like to see me sweat a bit.

CaneDog said:
For me, most chinense rarely appear to do much outside until late June.  They really take off in the following months, but it by then it usually seems like a race to get ripe pods before things cool off enough that ripening slows and rain becomes an issue again. I'm happy mine look healthy despite all the cool/wet, but they don't appear much bigger to the eye than they did 6 weeks ago.  Oh well, things usually work out fine, just the PNW seems to like to see me sweat a bit.
Here, I'm lucky, most years I don't get a decent crop before the heat shuts them down. So I've been starting earlier to have them ready to flower ASAP. Working for once :shh:

PaulG said:
Some of the three-gallon part of my grow,

Yellow Mushroom from Don’t Panic (seed train),  Haskorea from Bryan,
Piment de Espelette from Semillas la Palma.
The second and third have triple forks:
attachicon.gif
31E88835-CF7E-4C31-B26F-2E1FFBEA60C5.jpeg
Oh nice, Paul! You have a Piment d'Espelette from a different source. I got mine from Colin in France (nice.chili), and I'm not sure where Peter (SLP) got his......but I'm glad you have a comparison.

Bhuter said:
Oh nice, Paul! You have a Piment d'Espelette from a different source. I got mine from Colin in France (nice.chili), and I'm not sure where Peter (SLP) got his......but I'm glad you have a comparison.
That’s a trio of new varieties that the Piment de Espelette
is in, so looking forward to some new experiences there.

I hope I wind up with something to compare!

PaulG said:
That’s a trio of new varieties that the Piment de Espelette
is in, so looking forward to some new experiences there.

I hope I wind up with something to compare!
Awesome! I've grown the first two, but the Espelette is a variety for Tonie. She wanted a spicy bell, but that and the haskorea were still a little too uncomfortable in the heat dept for her. So let's hope people of France have a more delicate palate than people of Turkey/Syria.

Have had a couple of real hot days (mid-90F)
and now heading into a stretch of days ranging
from low seventies to low eighties. 

Trimmed a boatload of ugly leaves off all the plants.

Rocopica F2 c. cardenasii x unk. Rocoto - Cane Dog seed train
c. chacoense var Exile - PtMD989 via Bhuter via fiogga:
6D0FBD2C-9A71-4A57-86F1-E75DEB9A98B3.jpeg

CGN 22795 c. praetermissum  - Semillas la Palma
CAP 1141 c. praetermissum - isolated Brazil CaneDog:
2526B859-9026-42A3-B2AE-248CF08D1273.jpeg

Back