• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

pets

Hillbilly Chili said:
I love snakes......right next to the beans and taters and of course they taste just like......___________help me here folks.

I had some Eastern Diamondback while camping in the Delaware water gap a few years ago and it actually did taste like chicken....extremely greasy chicken, though.

I come across about 3-4 a year out here. I haven’t eaten them, but I have a buddy who loves em. Last year I got two 3’trs in the same day, that was a lot of meat

So... straight up... how deadly are scorpion stings, usually, and have you been stung?

Secondly, there's a myth that tarantulas shed their leg hairs as a defence mechanism, and that they make you itch like hell. True?

Scorpion stings depend on species, much like guests. There are species that aren't particularly venomous, and they dupe people into laying in a bed of scorpions on a TV show here called Fear Factor. They wouldn't have them do anything that could potentially kill someone on that show.

Shooty* said:
So... straight up... how deadly are scorpion stings, usually, and have you been stung?

Secondly, there's a myth that tarantulas shed their leg hairs as a defence mechanism, and that they make you itch like hell. True?

how dangerous their venom is varies from genus to genus..and even species to species within a genus. there are some that could be fatal (mainly in africa and australia), but there are many that aren't that bad at all....and many fall between the two heh.

in movies, the most common two that are used are "emperor scorpoions" P. imperator(this is the black scorpion in my pics above) and "desert hairy scorpions" H. arizonis (i think i spelled that wrong..) neither of these are dangerous. the sting will definetly hurt, but outside of an allergic reaction, you will be fine. ha i think in that movie jarhead theres a scene where these two fight it out and the emp wins after stinging it. funny thing is that the desert hairy has more potent venom, and emps don't sting very often. they have larger pinchers which they use to crush prey, as apposed to scorps with slender pinchers which is usually a sign of potent venom (which the scorp will readily use)

i've never been stung or pinched luckily. :lol: i did get tagged by a decent sized centipede once...it hurt like hell!

the thing about the tarantulas is basically true...only these hairs (really bristles (but even i say hairs since i'm no scientist ha)) are mainly on the abdomen. also only tarantulas in the new world have these hairs..and even at least one genus in s. america doesn't have them at all (people believe they are related to a genus in asia but got seperated when the continents split) there is a genus that has them on the underside of the abdomen and instead of flicking them with their legs, they press their abdomen into the intended receiver and rub them in. i think there are some with these hairs on their legs, or pedipalps (the smaller leg looking appendages flanking the mouth) but its not very common at all.

edit...interesting thing about these "urticating hairs" ...those old prank bags of itching powder contained ground up hairs from tarantulas.

Hillbilly Chili said:
Wife: Hey baby there’s a huge spider in the tub.
Me: Kill it.
Wife: You are the man, you do it.
Me: Stomp! There, now it’s a mess and I think that falls under your jurisdiction :lol:

I love snakes......right next to the beans and taters and of course they taste just like......___________help me here folks.

haha well i used to hate the ones i saw on the loose in my house or wouldn't get near them if i found them outside unless i was gonna kill them..but i've learned a lot about them and they aren't as bad as people make them out to be. :P

i've never had snake..or any type of reptile as food...plan on keeping it that way. though there was this thing on ebay with all these types of jerky and one was alligator..am tempted to try it out. in the end i think i'll wind up sticking with beef jerky.

xgrafcorex said:
i've never had snake..or any type of reptile as food...plan on keeping it that way. though there was this thing on ebay with all these types of jerky and one was alligator..am tempted to try it out. in the end i think i'll wind up sticking with beef jerky.

if God didn't intend for me to eat other animals he wouldn't have made them taste so damn good.

xgrafcorex said:
well on that note...i'm sure dogs, cats, and people taste pretty damn good too! :P

I've had dog before...it's not too bad(when i was stationed in Korea for a few months) and i've never had cat. As for people, well that depends on how good she looks!

LOL Sickmont.
Also, I would like to extend a handshake for your past service to this great Country Bro.
Mucho appreciated!!
That goes out to all my fellow HP Pals who have, are or will serve. Salute:cheers:

Hillbilly Chili said:
LOL Sickmont.
Also, I would like to extend a handshake for your past service to this great Country Bro.
Mucho appreciated!!
That goes out to all my fellow HP Pals who have, are or will serve. Salute:cheers:

Well, thankya! Ex Marine here. :P

Yeah, I've had Monkey in the Philllipines. Tastes like really stringy beef.

haha anyone else think its funny that a thread started about pets turned into what kind of animals you've eaten?? :P

my dad is a retired marine. he served for 32 or 33 years. now retired he does administration type work at a military academy in tampa, fl.

Hillbilly Chili said:
LOL Sickmont.
Mucho appreciated!!

Thank you kindly, sir.

I have had alligator, mojave green (rattlesnake),but one of my favorites was in Washington i got to try Bear Steaks. mm mm good

got this beautiful girl in the mail today :D

IMG_6546s.jpg

IMG_6552s.jpg

IMG_6550s.jpg

once the male i have matures, they'll both be ready to mate and i'll be pairing them.

the last photo looks a little weird because it was taken through the metal mesh lid.

Back