• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

pets

haha they aren't that creepy. :P i guess they've grown on me quite a bit though. some of them are actually very docile..except towards smaller organisms like crickets of course. they don't need much room though..thus the small containers. most of the time they are fairly stationary. they are ambush predators, so they pretty much sit still and pounce when something of the right size happens to come within range. they are also hard wired for survival, so they try not to burn much energy in fear of not being able to find another meal in the near future. the mature males are another story..they have limited time left on earth, so they have pretty much one goal, finding some ladies! :)

Thanks xgrafcorex, now my wife wants to order some. She use to have a Rose Hair tarantula. Im with Marco and imaguitargod, creeped out and screaming like a little girl.

haha cool. lucky you that is one of the most docile species there is. thats the big one that i am holding in one or two of the pictures. you ever watch indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark? they used that spider to put all over his back in the beginning scene before he gets that golden statue.

edit..i know several places you can buy them within the us. :)

Re-housed? You've got one in a take-out food container!

You've given me a really mean idea now.....what kind of nasty prank to pull off on my friend now:hell:

Sickmont said:
Re-housed? You've got one in a take-out food container!

You've given me a really mean idea now.....what kind of nasty prank to pull off on my friend now:hell:

haha and i just bought another sandwich from publix for lunch...maybe its time to buy another spider. :lol: they don't need much room, and they certainly don't give any consideration to what their house is made of haha. just have to make sure the lid is secure so they can't escape.

haha if you do what i'm thinking..make sure its an african "baboon" tarantula..that way their sandwich will bite back! :hell: actually, i have shed exoskeletons from old molts that look identical to a living tarantula to the less informed. i've thought about positioning one or two on some of the plants in our office building. haha i've had some of them sitting on my computer desk in my room and people come in to get something then yell and run out of my room upon seeing them. :lol:

xgrafcorex said:
haha and i just bought another sandwich from publix for lunch...maybe its time to buy another spider. :lol: they don't need much room, and they certainly don't give any consideration to what their house is made of haha. just have to make sure the lid is secure so they can't escape.

haha if you do what i'm thinking..make sure its an african "baboon" tarantula..that way their sandwich will bite back! :hell: actually, i have shed exoskeletons from old molts that look identical to a living tarantula to the less informed. i've thought about positioning one or two on some of the plants in our office building. haha i've had some of them sitting on my computer desk in my room and people come in to get something then yell and run out of my room upon seeing them. :lol:

I was actually thinking of hiding one of those big a** Goliath bird-eaters in a take-out container of salad. my friend loves salad, and hates spiders....especially ones that big.

Sickmont said:
I was actually thinking of hiding one of those big a** Goliath bird-eaters in a take-out container of salad. my friend loves salad, and hates spiders....especially ones that big.

haha that would be pretty rough. not only do the adults have 1" fangs, they can kick up a cloud of hairs (really bristles) that get into your skin and make you itch. they used to use the hairs (maybe not from this species) in those prank itching powder things.

having said that..it would be fun to watch you wrangle that spider into a small container like that! :hell:

woke up to a nice surprise this morning. one of my female jumping spiders finally had her eggs hatch.

IMG_8452s.jpg

IMG_8454s.jpg

unfortunately i'm not sure when the babies emerged..so some of them could've escaped while i was sleeping. i put the container in another container with smaller holes which so far has kept them all in there. i've counted about 18 total..but there could be more in there..and there could be some in my room hah. :)

xgrafcorex said:
woke up to a nice surprise this morning. one of my female jumping spiders finally had her eggs hatch.

unfortunately i'm not sure when the babies emerged..so some of them could've escaped while i was sleeping. i put the container in another container with smaller holes which so far has kept them all in there. i've counted about 18 total..but there could be more in there..and there could be some in my room hah. :hell:

Sh*t...i would sell that house if some like that happened..!!!!:scared:

nice spiders. & cornsnakes.

I think snakes are great, since I've had several. the biggest was 12'-15' when I sold her, & had 2 3' babies - these were reticulated pythons & 1 burmese python. its great to watch them eat, the 12'+ retic. python was eating rabbits

that corn snake in 1st post looks cool, somewhat something like a rainbow boa, if you've ever seen one of those?, they are one of the most beautiful snakes on earth (plus the retic.) IMO

I want to get some snakes again but its just not in my budget/time/lifestyle right now. & please dont say they are easy creatures to take care of, yes they are but still a different creature vs a dog, which I would also make a big cage again for the snake w/pool,trees,etc... hey I go all out

but this is my only pet right now (well I got rid of the male, nothing but a big lugnut he was :hell: ) this cane corso she listens to every word I say, which is great :) no more destroyed couches/walls/floors/etc... :scared: :)

this link is to the pic of her, I guess it wont show up on this website.

view

& a little story about that 12' python
once I had it escape from the cage during the night & it was crawling around my bedroom :scared: til I heard a crash & woke up.

another is when I 1st got it, I fed it a thawed rat with tongs W/O GLOVES :) :hell: well it smelt the rat & senced the heat from my hand & what else is there to say :) other than it took some time to get that snake off my arm, & the hand was turning purple because the snake was cutting off the blood flow.

chilehunter said:
& a little story about that 12' python
once I had it escape from the cage during the night & it was crawling around my bedroom :scared: til I heard a crash & woke up.

another is when I 1st got it, I fed it a thawed rat with tongs W/O GLOVES :) :hell: well it smelt the rat & senced the heat from my hand & what else is there to say :) other than it took some time to get that snake off my arm, & the hand was turning purple because the snake was cutting off the blood flow.

ouch! i've never kept any large snakes..these are my first ones, and they were all (and still are) pretty young when i got them. i've seen pics of rainbow boas..and i think i have seen one at one of the reptile stores here..but i'd say my favorite are those chondro pythons. http://images.google.com/images?q=c...a:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&sa=N&tab=wi
especially when they are young.

thats a nice looking dog..glad to hear shes not tearing up the place heh. i'd like to one day get a dog..but for now i plan on waiting till either i have my own place or at least a place with a fenced in back yard.

xgrafcorex - yea green tree pythons are cool, you look at some emerald tree boas some get that nice neon green color. but both kinds have a cool resting position when they coil up.

but far as I know - if I remember right :hell: - both snakes are kinda difficult to take care of, picky snakes for the conditions they need temps & high humidity. plus they are spendy.

I want to get another snake someday(havent had one for 15+ years), but the next will have to only get 12'-15' for adult size, those red tail boas have a nice color to them & easy to take care of vs like a rainbow boa (very picky conditions)

cool spiders you have

oh yea, the bite from the snake didnt hurt that much it felt like several small needles poking in, which they are just like small sharp needles, it was more of a shock that 1 sec I'm feeding the snake & the next second I have 8' python attached to my arm squeezing with all its strength. it was 8' when I bought, & after that ordeal I always wore thick gloves from then on & made sure it didnt sence my body heat :scared:

jello shooters anyone?

ha thats what my roommate thought i had at first... (edit...he only saw the tray from a distance though)

IMG_8536s.jpg

those are the babies i managed to wrangle into smaller containers. i wound up letting the mother and rest of the little ones go in the backyard...well they were still hanging out in the plastic container when i came back..but i imagine by tomorrow they'll have dispersed. haven't counted..but i have somewhere around 50-60 + one spider i caught thinking it was one of the babies that got by me heh. i am pretty sure its a baby wolf spider.

now i have to feed these little guys tomorrow..and have one more female still sitting on her egg sac, so i might have quite a few more.

anyone want a jumping spider? (or 10?) :cheers:

Any Pets?

Does anybody In here have any pets?

I currently have a minitaure Dachshund..-Mini-

heres a pic..LOL

Her nose is not like dat in real life i guess she did sumthing with it in da picture..LOL!

IMG_0133.jpg

Cute guy. Dachshund's are pretty cool dogs, but my dog thinks they are hot dogs. Everytime he's seen one hes put his snout under the Dachshund and rolled him over.

LOL Thanks Everybody yeah shes my wittle daughter..LOL I love dachshunds shes my first and wow I dont think I want anotehr kind of dog..:D!

no offence but IMO a dog must weigh AT LEAST 30 lbs!!! to be called a dog :lol: :lol:
I'm sure my dog would love to play with that toy dog :lol:

DSCF0814.jpg

Back