• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

photography Photo Album

gasificada said:
They've arrived! :shocked:

Hey Gas, could you possibly take another shot showing the top of its abdomen?
I'm trying to I.D. the little sucker, you see, it could be related to you, it might be in the genus Gasteracantha.
Thanx m8.

nuclearDays said:
Hey Gas, could you possibly take another shot showing the top of its abdomen?
I'm trying to I.D. the little sucker, you see, it could be related to you, it might be in the genus Gasteracantha.
Thanx m8.

Ha! I was hoping you would chime in and shed some light.... ;)

Unfortunately I took that shot a little while back and didn't manage to get a better shot of the top abdomen (you see, my camera is shit), nor have I encountered one of the same critters since. If I do, though, I'll be sure to try and get some better shots for ya. Super keen to find out what the little bugger is!

Not sure if it would help either but I do have an underside shot and you can kinda see some of the back of the top?

EDIT:

Hey, just got back from google and you're not making shit up about the name neither. :lol:

This dude has been chillin' in my tree since yesterday. Not the first time I've seen him... and this guy ain't the alpha of these parts.

16409023332_de5e7d1885_b.jpg

16223723929_90aaf17de7_c.jpg

gasificada said:

Ha! I was hoping you would chime in and shed some light.... ;)

It's been annoying me since you posted it but I finally found it. It's called  Poecilopachys australasia AKA Two-spined spider :woohoo:

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Birds and stuff...

Lovely Cardinal shot, Chris!

So I'm doing a little bit of bird photography  (the feathery kind :P ) lately. I've got an app. on my phone that has the 'call sounds' of all Australian birds so I set it in the garden and play sounds of birds that live in this region .... and watch n wait.

Male Superb Fairy Wren:

tl867hp.jpg

Scoville DeVille said:
I know that tree!!!!

Beautiful shot Sum!

lol. I wouldn't call it beautiful.

It was really just a "Look at this ish I'm seeing at 8am whilst I sip my coffee" shot.

Thought I'd share the moment.

While doing bird pics, I was plowing snow last year just before the "polar" vortex. This big mofo came and scooped up a mouse I stirred up. Arctic snowy owl. Let me get within 10' of him to take this pic with my phone. Coulda got closer but was giving me the stink eye. Stood every bit of 30" tall

D3monic said:
While doing bird pics, I was plowing snow last year just before the "polar" vortex. This big mofo came and scooped up a mouse I stirred up. Arctic snowy owl. Let me get within 10' of him to take this pic with my phone. Coulda got closer but was giving me the stink eye. Stood every bit of 30" tall

Pretty cool. We have small hawks or something round here that eat the pigeons using the bird feeder in the front yard. :rofl:

able eye said:

Pretty cool. We have small hawks or something round here that eat the pigeons using the bird feeder in the front yard. :rofl:

Yea we get lots of those as well, these are native to Arctic and had no business in Illinois. I read an article that said they was migrating south because there was a  big population boom from warm year before and not enough food. But it was a week before a big polar vortex hit and i think he was just trying to stay ahead of the storm. Biggest mofo bird I ever seen. Stood from my belt to looking me in the eyes. Bigger than the bald eagles I've seen around here. 

Back