• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

photography Photo Album

I live on Vancouver Island. It's starkly beautiful, and after a quarter-century of it i'm not the least bit jaded or blase about the sights i see as soon as i step out of the tree cover about my residence.

Having said that, those two snapshots make me a fan of Wyoming's beauty. Never been there, but, golly TrueNorthReptiles... that is one helluva sight!

mikeg said:
I live on Vancouver Island. It's starkly beautiful, and after a quarter-century of it i'm not the least bit jaded or blase about the sights i see as soon as i step out of the tree cover about my residence.

Having said that, those two snapshots make me a fan of Wyoming's beauty. Never been there, but, golly TrueNorthReptiles... that is one helluva sight!
I should be out there again in a few weeks. :) 

My pup. She didn't really get to go out much this winter because she kept ripping her paws open, and refused to keep the paw protectors on.  She's been a little mopey lately, you can see it in her eyes. :-/ (disregard the little eye booger on her face... ew)
11027926_10101811678598689_5467934111931844624_n.jpg

My dad is apparently the husky whisperer. He's a bit unhappy cause he went into work on Sunday, came home to me at his place with my dogs and all the huskies wouldn't leave him alone when he was trying to relax. They're like half as tall as Yuki, the mini Yuki is fatter than the other. They run and jump all over my pops and both try to lay on him at the same time.
11039205_10101811670205509_6397675328977798682_n.jpg

I had a Husky a few years ago. Great companion who I miss dearly. We had to put him down at 10 years old due to health reasons. The single most difficult decision of my life. 

SR.

Sorry to hear that Shorerider.  I grew up with huskies. In October, 3 weeks shy of her 15th b-day my dad and I had to bring in his husky.  It was surreal, we had her over half my life.  In December my Dad and I went to pick up those two puppies.  He wanted two because he liked how bonded my 2 dogs are and how they always had a playmate. He claims he's not attached to them yet, but they cuddle up to him and lay all over him.   

grantmichaels said:
Neat.

Feeding wild animals is frowned upon, I think ... but you know, people should get back in touch w/ animals, too.

I don't feed them, but I also don't harass them and try to scare them off. They are residents of town and aren't harming anyone, so I just peacefully enjoy their presence and occasionally take pictures. I have come to learn who is who. My mother has named them all and talks to them like they are pets. The one above has been named Dodie (Doe-dee) and is the most social. She will occasionally come up when you are outside and nudge you if you aren't paying attention to her. Welcome to Wyoming.

Yeah, kind of cool ...

If we weren't deforesting the earth, and displacing animals all of the time for lumber, paper, space for malls and industry etc - it would probably be ideal to not allow animals to become in any way  dependent or accustomed to us ...

That said, since we do live in a world where we are deforesting everything, and fucking over the animals, it's probably a good idea if some folks gets to interact and give a shit about them ...

So, I guess in my book, carry on =) ...

Nothing is clear, anymore ...

grantmichaels said:
Yeah, kind of cool ...

If we weren't deforesting the earth, and displacing animals all of the time for lumber, paper, space for malls and industry etc - it would probably be ideal to not allow animals to become in any way  dependent or accustomed to us ...

That said, since we do live in a world where we are deforesting everything, and f**king over the animals, it's probably a good idea if some folks gets to interact and give a shit about them ...

When you follow this line of logic you stop eating them.

So, I worked in medicine for 8 years, and I also had a long-time veg GF at one point ...

I wish I could tell you that humans do well off meat, but I can't ...

Someday, though ...

And FWIW, I do try to involve ethical consideration in my purchases in terms of things being free-range etc ...

grantmichaels said:
Yeah, kind of cool ...

That said, since we do live in a world where we are deforesting everything, and f**king over the animals, it's probably a good idea if some folks gets to interact and give a shit about them ...

No need to worry about loss of habitat here. Wyoming has some of the best undisturbed habitat and we are just a hop, skip and a jump from the east gate of Yellowstone. These deer know they are safe living in town and have been here before me, so I do not interfere. They have just as much right to be here as I do. There are about 20 resident deer in the actual town of Meeteetse, comprising a couple different small herds and each herd seems to prefer their own little section of town. These just so happen to be the ones that like hanging out in my mom's yard. My mother has some outdoor cats, so when there is leftover cat food in their bowl, the deer will sometimes help themselves.

This is the son of the deer I posted above. He is aptly named Bucky. He is one of the more skittish deer and will generally keep at least 6 feet or so between you and him and he startles easily. He isn't very big, but it is really neat getting to see wildlife at this close of range.
SANY0052.jpg

grantmichaels said:
So, I worked in medicine for 8 years, and I also had a long-time veg GF at one point ...

I wish I could tell you that humans do well off meat, but I can't ...

Someday, though ...

And FWIW, I do try to involve ethical consideration in my purchases in terms of things being free-range etc ...

You should study more.

Back