• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PIC 1's...Pepper Graphic...2014

Time to get this Grow off the ground...

Well sort of...at least the indoor part of it.  Here's the current look at some of my outdoor containers. We've had higher than normal snow amounts since December. A couple of hard frosts to boot. That may kill alot of the spring White Fly that have been dominant the last 2 seasons.

A Couple Shots from the Most Recent Seasons

I've started out my seeds for many years in Dec/Jan, and no doubt will provide nice plants with rewarding harvests.
But when you have to start indoors under lights it comes with a cost of time, material and utilities. With some thought I've finally come to (my senses)  a conclusion. As of Febuary 1st I have roughly 14 weeks to plant out. I'm confident that I can raise healthy plants indoors in that span. So this year will be the test...who knows maybe next season will be a March startup.......a march to the finish !

This was my largest harvest last season, late August, 40+ lbs......a few hrs and many beers worth of picking.  
The harvests after this were a few bushels here and there down to the 5 bucket pulls once a week come late September.

Enough of the Old and in With the New...

Lights...Action......Camera !

Speaking of lights...my current and permanent grow area has been moved down to the sub basement. I gave up a spare bedroom which has been converted into a guest room........ :rolleyes:
I currently have alittle over half the room and lighting setups that I had last year.  I'm planning to use every bit of it.
When running over 4k of power you need to have enough "juice"  to supply the lights safely. Inaddition to the circuits I had in the past for the basement grow I've added 2 additional 20a dedicated runs. Also for those who don't, having a smoke detector within perimeter and a fire extinguisher nearby would be a good idea, especially when running HPS units.

I'm still in the process of mounting some lights, and unless they're being hard wired its a good idea to keep the power cables off the floor

Here's a photo of the plant framing before the shelving is put into place. The deminsions are 54" wide and 12' long.
There's 3 tiers....top has 7 six bulb high bay T8 fixtures, middle tier (shown) has 10 four bulb close spaced T8's with a 6 bulb T8 at each end. The bottom has currently 4 six bulb T8's with a few more being added. The sides have 70% Aluminet shade cloth with can be rolled up unto a pvc pipe and secured to the ceiling. The cloth can let air circulation through by the means of a fan(s). The ends of the framing have foiled faced styro insulated panels.

Here we have cups ready to go, each cup may have anywhere between 2 and 20 seeds depending on the variety.
I'm starting out alittle different with the seed soak this season. In the past I've used Potassium Nitrate (Salt Petre) for part of the soak. I'm out of it and its too late to order....what I'm doing instead is a 2 hr soak with 10% Hydrogen Peroxide/ water mix.......drain out then a 24hr soak with a brew of Chamomile Tea (4 tea bags to a gallon of distilled) plus one drop of Superthrive to the gallon. I haven't used the tea before but have heard excellent results in regards to damping off prevention or seed fungal issues.

The mediums for the indoor grow.....Hoffmans for the seed starter. For the potting up I'm using a mix of Happy Frog, Ocean Forest and Pro-Mix. These will get equally mixed into thirds. My usual Fafards MetroMix is not in stock. These will give great results as I've used them in the past.

a few more shots later after dinner...........did some body say Octopus in Red Sauce.....yum

PIC 1 said:
I have around 15 MoA plants, but also other Jamaican Bonnets growing from seeds from a Jamaican mkt. Which are also producing some "A" shaped pods......
Rick besides the Jerk marinades, sauces and powders, what I like to do is enjoy a fresh pod, with a bag of plain potato chips along with one of the fabulous deli sandwcihes available here

Works for me! Do you have any suggestions?  You got me thinking... how to make a Bonnet dog Chicago style...  :think:  :)

Damn....Greg, you need to get busy ..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

+10

My 2 YSB X Y7's got snuffed within 3 days of hitting the ground(like  not just dead, almost disappeared!).......been way too wet down here.
Now I find myself wanting a STACKED Pastrami with mean bite.....

Looking good, Greg!  Those patio shots give urban gardening a whole new meaning!

The plants and pods all look great, but that Jigsaw is lethal; looks like it's made of glass.

My wife was looking at the last foodie (she's not into heat at all) and at the first pic said
she didn't think it looked too good, but by the last pic, she said "That looks good!"   :rofl:

Congrats on a superior grow, my friend, and on some fine photos of same!

gnslngr said:
Damn....Greg, you need to get busy ..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

+10

My 2 YSB X Y7's got snuffed within 3 days of hitting the ground(like  not just dead, almost disappeared!).......been way too wet down here.
Now I find myself wanting a STACKED Pastrami with mean bite.....
That's to bad, Dave. Maybe next season :)

Amazing once again!  Your stuff always looks so awesome!  
We enjoyed your blackthorn sauce the other night with some meatloaf some friends brought over.  I got one of our guests to try some and he enjoyed it, although it was a bit hot for him  :surprised:

Your plants all look so large, green, and healthy.  I'm jealous - my garden sucks this year.  Oh well, always next year, and seeing glogs like yours gives me something to shoot for!

Nice pepepr patch you have but I'm more impressed with your tea brewer...I have the same type of PVC air modification but love the large garbage can with spout..I need to bump my tea brewer game up..

There are glogs and then something like this . An amazing array of color , variety ,  spice . You are the master of all things  glogified . 

Nuff said .  ;)

How dem Bears looking this year ?

p.s Still kicking myself for not hooking up with when I was in town  :mope:

a few shots from today............before the needed rain

Jamaican Red Habaneros and Yellow NagaBrains..............seeds from a couple Florida dudes.......Ramon and Jamie

Bahamian Goats , Peach Fatalii's and Red Mourgas, Brain Strains,/ 7Pots

Big Ass 7/Pots............ :cool:

mix of Scotch Bonnets

MoA

tonights dinner.............Flat Iron Steak Chili topped with a green chili tamale, cheddar cheese and creama....(peppers from the yard, Jalapenos, Serranos, Hatch, Lumbre and sweet red bell.

no need for a bump....but if you want to come by and help with the dishes..........lol

Your garden looks incredible. Who you paying to carnuba those pods? Holy shit! You always have some great varieties. I am growing the orange blob this year,very compact plant and really prolific.

Hope you guys get some rain. That is crazy it is missing you. It has not stopped since the first week of June here. Not a tan line in the western half of the state.

Back