• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PIC 1's...Pepper Graphic...2014

Time to get this Grow off the ground...

Well sort of...at least the indoor part of it.  Here's the current look at some of my outdoor containers. We've had higher than normal snow amounts since December. A couple of hard frosts to boot. That may kill alot of the spring White Fly that have been dominant the last 2 seasons.

A Couple Shots from the Most Recent Seasons

I've started out my seeds for many years in Dec/Jan, and no doubt will provide nice plants with rewarding harvests.
But when you have to start indoors under lights it comes with a cost of time, material and utilities. With some thought I've finally come to (my senses)  a conclusion. As of Febuary 1st I have roughly 14 weeks to plant out. I'm confident that I can raise healthy plants indoors in that span. So this year will be the test...who knows maybe next season will be a March startup.......a march to the finish !

This was my largest harvest last season, late August, 40+ lbs......a few hrs and many beers worth of picking.  
The harvests after this were a few bushels here and there down to the 5 bucket pulls once a week come late September.

Enough of the Old and in With the New...

Lights...Action......Camera !

Speaking of lights...my current and permanent grow area has been moved down to the sub basement. I gave up a spare bedroom which has been converted into a guest room........ :rolleyes:
I currently have alittle over half the room and lighting setups that I had last year.  I'm planning to use every bit of it.
When running over 4k of power you need to have enough "juice"  to supply the lights safely. Inaddition to the circuits I had in the past for the basement grow I've added 2 additional 20a dedicated runs. Also for those who don't, having a smoke detector within perimeter and a fire extinguisher nearby would be a good idea, especially when running HPS units.

I'm still in the process of mounting some lights, and unless they're being hard wired its a good idea to keep the power cables off the floor

Here's a photo of the plant framing before the shelving is put into place. The deminsions are 54" wide and 12' long.
There's 3 tiers....top has 7 six bulb high bay T8 fixtures, middle tier (shown) has 10 four bulb close spaced T8's with a 6 bulb T8 at each end. The bottom has currently 4 six bulb T8's with a few more being added. The sides have 70% Aluminet shade cloth with can be rolled up unto a pvc pipe and secured to the ceiling. The cloth can let air circulation through by the means of a fan(s). The ends of the framing have foiled faced styro insulated panels.

Here we have cups ready to go, each cup may have anywhere between 2 and 20 seeds depending on the variety.
I'm starting out alittle different with the seed soak this season. In the past I've used Potassium Nitrate (Salt Petre) for part of the soak. I'm out of it and its too late to order....what I'm doing instead is a 2 hr soak with 10% Hydrogen Peroxide/ water mix.......drain out then a 24hr soak with a brew of Chamomile Tea (4 tea bags to a gallon of distilled) plus one drop of Superthrive to the gallon. I haven't used the tea before but have heard excellent results in regards to damping off prevention or seed fungal issues.

The mediums for the indoor grow.....Hoffmans for the seed starter. For the potting up I'm using a mix of Happy Frog, Ocean Forest and Pro-Mix. These will get equally mixed into thirds. My usual Fafards MetroMix is not in stock. These will give great results as I've used them in the past.

a few more shots later after dinner...........did some body say Octopus in Red Sauce.....yum

one series of photos from today...

Tovarii...no flowers yet, but it has grown since I moved it into full sun.

Cumari......plenty of small chili's....which will ripen yellow

Douglahs, which need another week to fully ripen..........I can wait......ha

Bahamian Goat in a smaller 10 gal container. My back started to hurt while harvesting so I picked the pot up and did the snipping on the patio table

small amount of pods.....but that's only one plant............... :neutral: ...

plenty of green pods left on that plant

nice size Naga's

No fluke about these 7/Pots........I measured them twp ways..........Big and Powerful.......... :lol:

Harvest from yesterday and today.............almost half the patio table, well over a 5 gal bucket. Most of the garden was hit, I'm starting to see new budding and flowers appearing on the plants.....time to fertilize !

a closer look...........some will get dehydrated, but the supers will get made into a puree. There's many green pods on the plants...for future pickin's.

Thanks for checking this out.........back next week with some more photos

PIC 1 said:

Bahamian Goat in a smaller 10 gal container. My back started to hurt while harvesting so I picked the pot up and did the snipping on the patio table

First off - great harvest shot!

Second - the more I see of and eat those Bahamian Goat peppers, the more I love them. Great shot of yours. Those are beautiful pods - and show why I really like the looks of them (as well as the taste). Great shape and color, as well as a stinger on some of them. Just a cool all around pepper.

Well Greg it seems things have really worked out well up your way!

Yet another "homerun" we're gonna have to start calling you "the babe" ;)

Enjoy the summer and your grow and keep it green! (like I have a doubt ;) ).

Incredible garden. Or should I say lawn?? Really impressive on all accounts. Harvest shot is just massive. I'll be happy if I can squeeze that out over the entire season, newbie that I am to gardening.

Really enjoying the photos and insight in here, thanks.

AaronRiot said:
Incredible garden. Or should I say lawn?? Really impressive on all accounts. Harvest shot is just massive. I'll be happy if I can squeeze that out over the entire season, newbie that I am to gardening.

I think anything short of jungle just doesn't describe it!
AaronRiot said:

I think anything short of jungle just doesn't describe it!

Nice to see that your harvest season is fully launched Greg! Things are starting to kick over here, but I think our summer has been cooler this year than yours. Thanks for the reminder to give a shot of nutes to the bearing plants... my MoAs in pots are starting to yellow a bit. The in-ground plants are doing fine. :P

PIC 1 said:
one series of photos from today...

Tovarii...no flowers yet, but it has grown since I moved it into full sun.

Cumari......plenty of small chili's....which will ripen yellow

Douglahs, which need another week to fully ripen..........I can wait......ha

plenty of green pods left on that plant

nice size Naga's

No fluke about these 7/Pots........I measured them twp ways..........Big and Powerful.......... :lol:

Harvest from yesterday and today.............almost half the patio table, well over a 5 gal bucket. Most of the garden was hit, I'm starting to see new budding and flowers appearing on the plants.....time to fertilize !

a closer look...........some will get dehydrated, but the supers will get made into a puree. There's many green pods on the plants...for future pickin's.

Thanks for checking this out.........back next week with some more photos
F*&%ing Beautiful .... that is all I can add ... the bahamian goat is a must have ... love the flavour and productivity.  On you grow Sir!

Here's an update...........before things get too busy...

I did say that I was going to make a puree, but not yet. When the time comes it will be a yellow puree......and maybe some hot mustard for the tailgate parties. 
What I plan on starting here is a 5 gal bucket of ground red peppers. Cane vinegar will be added and the lid capped for a year. Hot sauce will be made after that. First things first......wash the peppers and cut in half. No moldy peppers in this mash.

I'm using the meat grinding attachment on the kitchenaid. It works pretty quickly. You do need many lbs of peppers to get a full bucket....or even making a couple cases of puree. There's lots of air in them peppers.....lol

What a bloody mess.............in a good way ! 
I used all the fresh red pods that I had and ended up with nearly 1/3 filled. I topped with cane vinegar and placed the lid on. Next harvest I will add more until the bucket is filled. 

This is a hot sauce that I brought back from the islands (St Marteen). It's the last of 4 that I had and this will stay unopened. The island sauce is a very basic puree.....but really good ! The native fruit on the island is the Guava Berry, and I feel that may have been added. I do have red habanero seeds that I brought back and the plants produce the largest Habaneros that I grow. I just hope to produce a sauce similar...or even better....lol

The current wrap around look to the garden.........things are growing great !

The back nine.....har.............these are all super hots. The taller plant is a Mourga Blend. It's over 4ft and we still have a good two months to grow.

I just stripped this NagaBrain last week with all the ripe peppers.....and it's back again............Jane...Jamie stop this crazy thing !.......... :lol:

A bunch of Habanero varieties that don't look too shabby.

My Nu Mex stash...........not many plants but I also have some Jalapenos in another part of the garden.

Jigsaw plant..........the only plant of 3 that's putting out pods that aren't Naga shape..........and I'm happy with the consistancy.

I'll be back as fast as I can fill my cup...........ha

Back