• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PIC 1's...Pepper Graphic...2014

Time to get this Grow off the ground...

Well sort of...at least the indoor part of it.  Here's the current look at some of my outdoor containers. We've had higher than normal snow amounts since December. A couple of hard frosts to boot. That may kill alot of the spring White Fly that have been dominant the last 2 seasons.

A Couple Shots from the Most Recent Seasons

I've started out my seeds for many years in Dec/Jan, and no doubt will provide nice plants with rewarding harvests.
But when you have to start indoors under lights it comes with a cost of time, material and utilities. With some thought I've finally come to (my senses)  a conclusion. As of Febuary 1st I have roughly 14 weeks to plant out. I'm confident that I can raise healthy plants indoors in that span. So this year will be the test...who knows maybe next season will be a March startup.......a march to the finish !

This was my largest harvest last season, late August, 40+ lbs......a few hrs and many beers worth of picking.  
The harvests after this were a few bushels here and there down to the 5 bucket pulls once a week come late September.

Enough of the Old and in With the New...

Lights...Action......Camera !

Speaking of lights...my current and permanent grow area has been moved down to the sub basement. I gave up a spare bedroom which has been converted into a guest room........ :rolleyes:
I currently have alittle over half the room and lighting setups that I had last year.  I'm planning to use every bit of it.
When running over 4k of power you need to have enough "juice"  to supply the lights safely. Inaddition to the circuits I had in the past for the basement grow I've added 2 additional 20a dedicated runs. Also for those who don't, having a smoke detector within perimeter and a fire extinguisher nearby would be a good idea, especially when running HPS units.

I'm still in the process of mounting some lights, and unless they're being hard wired its a good idea to keep the power cables off the floor

Here's a photo of the plant framing before the shelving is put into place. The deminsions are 54" wide and 12' long.
There's 3 tiers....top has 7 six bulb high bay T8 fixtures, middle tier (shown) has 10 four bulb close spaced T8's with a 6 bulb T8 at each end. The bottom has currently 4 six bulb T8's with a few more being added. The sides have 70% Aluminet shade cloth with can be rolled up unto a pvc pipe and secured to the ceiling. The cloth can let air circulation through by the means of a fan(s). The ends of the framing have foiled faced styro insulated panels.

Here we have cups ready to go, each cup may have anywhere between 2 and 20 seeds depending on the variety.
I'm starting out alittle different with the seed soak this season. In the past I've used Potassium Nitrate (Salt Petre) for part of the soak. I'm out of it and its too late to order....what I'm doing instead is a 2 hr soak with 10% Hydrogen Peroxide/ water mix.......drain out then a 24hr soak with a brew of Chamomile Tea (4 tea bags to a gallon of distilled) plus one drop of Superthrive to the gallon. I haven't used the tea before but have heard excellent results in regards to damping off prevention or seed fungal issues.

The mediums for the indoor grow.....Hoffmans for the seed starter. For the potting up I'm using a mix of Happy Frog, Ocean Forest and Pro-Mix. These will get equally mixed into thirds. My usual Fafards MetroMix is not in stock. These will give great results as I've used them in the past.

a few more shots later after dinner...........did some body say Octopus in Red Sauce.....yum

Brain Strain flower

NagaBons................THSC creation

Red UBSC........2nd yr growing these....seeds were sent from Brandon (Big Cedar).........where you at BC.......Get out of that lawn chair........ :lol:

Burgandy 7/ Pots

Brain Strain........(PRF)..........another plant that puts out uniform pods.............it's become a favorite the last few yrs for me and local friends that grow it.

Smooth Bhut Jolokia's..................possibly a cross of some sort.

Costoluto Genevese Tomatoes...............mater's are ripening slowly

Did a taste testing with one of my sons. ...Bonda Ma Jacques/Yellow 7 on the left, Naga Morich, Yellow NagaBrain on the right.
None of the pods had many seeds (1st pick) but the oil factor was high. We started with the Naga Morich, I should have none better because it ripped me pretty fast. It's been awhile since I had a fresh pod from the garden. Although I eat sauce everyday, use powder and flakes in my meals....fresh pods are quite different. I lost my son to a bowl of ice cream after that one.
The NagaBrain had a floral flav with the throat burning heat.........I can't wait to powder a few up for the spice jar. The Yellow 7 was not so mellow, but the Habish Bonda Ma Jacque side of things gave it a surprising unique flavor. I can see a sauce in a bottle with those pods.

Just to be on the level with this.......ha.........Here's an MoA, ...not an "A" grade looking pod. But, whether it's an A,B,C,D,....F-.....  :shocked: .....I'll be honest with ya, cut up any grade pod and do a test tasting........they'll all taste the same.........If you're shooting for symmetry then grow many plants as I do because the variation is vast.

Even "Sunny" gets into the spirit of things........and even he can't beleive the pod is on the  :lol: level.........

only a few more...on their way

another Bonda Ma Jacques x Yellow 7...........this one looks to be dangerous.......very 7-ish

BG 7

Peach Bhuts

Lighter varigated Jamaican Red Habanero's starting to take on color...........Hurray !

Calabria 18..........I'm waiting to dry and flake some of these chili's

Charapita's............spicy little devils

Orange Bhut Copenhagen

Butch T flowers

that's it with the plant shots for today......one more food shot to close on

Here's an Italian Sausage and Pepperoni pizza. Those who make their own dough might appreciate the addition to this pizza skin.
This one has a flaky homemade dough do to the IDY (instant dry yeast) as compared to the typical fresh or ADY( active dry yeast) which requires a warm liquid temp to activate. I used 1/8" pieces of butter incorporated into the dough (similar to pie dough) with a cold refridgerator 3 day rest. The results are a buttery/flaky thin crust pie dough.
I also brushed the outer rim with Olive Oil to give a crusty bite.

Last nights dinner..............baked at 425 for 23 minutes.......Hell Fire flakes, Oregano and shaved Parm as the toppers ........the bomb

Thanks for taking a look..........I'll respond to mine and other glogs tomorrow...

Pizza! making that tomorrow!

I was in NY last week, LB and I insisted on pizza for supper 2 nights. We're getting close to copying it, the dough we have down, I feel the cold approach is the way to go ;)

Dang! poddage everywhere! One thing I've taken notice of; you northern growers get those pods so much earlier than me, and that's in the growth stage of the plants. I don't see that until my plants are 3' tall or better. And then it's set and forget. I get my hauls and they're done...by uh, now.

Good luck on the rest of your grow, things are looking spectacular!

WOW, that is a MONSTER looking garden. The plants I got from you this year (I think just about everything I am growing) are doing very Well. So Far it is more than I could have hoped for. The selection you had was OUTSTANDING, I will have to get some pictures up soon. I am already planning next year's selection.

OK Greg .... so I take it from these pictures you enjoy growing chilli's and cooking food?? Just a guess ;) . Seriously man fantastic pod shots/garden/flower and food shots. You really do give me great inspiration/aspiration for my garden ventures (mainly my future ones :D ) ...

quick question this...."Red UBSC........2nd yr growing these....seeds were sent from Brandon (Big Cedar)." .... what are they ? Awesome looking pods!

I got one of those From Greg this year, the UBSC is probably the best growing plant in my Garden. It is an Unknown Brain Strain Cross, they are pretty damn hot too. By far the most pods compared to the others.

Love the updates. .m last year when we grew the nagabrain 3 colors. 5 phenos I believe Gary is growing a yellow. ..

As.for the moa.. yoi are correct. .. same great taste. . Which is all that matters

.btw how's that red moa...congrats.on gaining a son in law... happy growing
Glad the lineage of the bubblegum is continuing. . I got the seeds from a guy namr Martin slater from the uK

I grew them 2 years.ago and shared with Shane and was glad to see his last years grow also grew true ... FYI. The elongated bbg7 has emerged. . Even an orange bbg7

The pie looks to die for Greg! I just love me some thin-crust pizza if it's cooked right. Lately, I've fallen in love with a middle-eastern spice mix called za'atar, and I've been using it to make Manousheh... plural Maneesh. I mix enough of the za'atar with good olive oil to brush out onto thin-formed pizza dough, top with sliced ripe tomatoes and slices of fresh mozzarella, then bake in a hot oven. I'd be willing to bet the Costolutos would be perfect for this... ;)

Drive on!

Not a bad leaf! The tea and rain water are working miracles. Every plant in perfect health and full production.

Your galapagoense are awesome,the color is perfect!!!That is as green as they can possibly get. Tons of side branching too. Like a bunch of pipe cleaners.

Congrats on the wedding. Knowing your background I'm sure it was hard not to look over the photog's shoulder.

After two days of rain the sun finally appears this morning.... slowly creeping overthe house tops.

A morning stretch for the Manzano plant

Here's a Red MoA............I see DeNNiz has asked about it once or twice. The pheno is fluctuation. I'll wait until the end of the season an isolate a branch from the most consistant plant........then choose the best mature pod for the seeds

Butch T....(Mississippi Strain)

FDA Scotch Bonnet ...(Foodarama)

Barrackpore 7/ Pot

Orange Primo's

"Dog's and Beer"...can happen anytime here !
Typical Chicago style dog......all Beef Hot Dog, Poppy Seed Bun, Yellow Mustard, Pickle Relish, Onions, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Sport Peppers, the all important "Celery Salt"..and my addition from the garden Grilled Jalapenos.

and yes...there was a Hot  Dog under all the trimmings......

Spicegeist said:
Wow, so much eye candy!  Great looking family, nice looking beach, love the cat... and of course the peppers...

They yellow naga brains look like yellow naga morichs.  Yellow bhuts are coming in nicely.  Your Naga Kings look a little different from what I've got, is your seed from PeriPeri too?

Hey Charles, thanks for the comments, I think my Naga King seeds came from Fatalii seeds or Semillas La Palma...whichever one carried that variety
stickman said:
Wow, you've been a busy guy Greg! Glad you and your family had a great "milestone" event and some good "stand-down" time at the beach afterwards. As usual, your chiles continue to inspire despite the rain and crappy weather you had this spring. I'm a little disappointed there was no foodie shot at the end... ;)   but since you're off to a cooking class I'm sure the next one will be even better. Cheers mate, and drive on!

Hey Rick, thanks for checking in........it's been crazy the last few weeks..but enjoyable at the same time. The garden here is starting to cook with all the rain and a few peak days of sun and mild temps the combination has brought the plants into a surge. I'm figuring once again the 1st major pull from the plants will be late August, with buckets each week after that until October. When I went down for the cooking class I found that particular class was canceled, but there was another class starting and both my daughter and I were invited in for free. It was well worth it.......I'm always game to learn something new. 
Devv said:
Congratulations to your family Greg!

And glad you had time for a vacation ;)

As usual you didn't disappoint! plants and pods looking fantastic.

And you ask "How do I do it?" you're doing twice the work there!

Enjoy the class!

Thanks Scott.......I wish we had a couple extra months to extend the grow up here........a large sun room addition would cover both ends of the season.............but for some reason I don't see that happening..........a shaded outdoor kitchen might be in the future.....more wife friendly
ronniedeb said:
Congratulations on your daughters wedding Greg! Your garden is a thing of beauty. Plants and peppers looking so healthy.

Thanks Ronan...I appreciate the kind words !
JoeFish said:
Love the pics and the beautiful wedding.

Thanks man....
stickman said:

Yowza! That's what I'm talkin' about! You da man when it comes to sammie goodness Greg!

Manzano and Canario looking stellar! How would you compare the taste of the two?

Rick, I haven't grown the Canario before.......P-Son could probably handle that question, but if you haven't tasted the Mexican "Yellow Perins" before its somewhat like eating an Asian Pear with the hint of Pineapple. I prefer to let them hit the orange slightly over ripe stage. That brings out the sweetness and eliminates any of the unripe bitterness.
Swartmamba said:
That brain couldn't be any better. Great grow you have

You are absolutely correct ! 
My Red Brains are grown in containers, but I've seen one of my plants grown in a friends yard that was  inground 5 ft tall. Loaded to the hilt with pods....all identical in shape and size.

Very nice Greg!

I love all the soldiers lines up ready for duty.

Glad you're getting the rain, I would hate to have to water all those pots!

Enjoy your Sunday!

Devv said:
Pizza! making that tomorrow!

I was in NY last week, LB and I insisted on pizza for supper 2 nights. We're getting close to copying it, the dough we have down, I feel the cold approach is the way to go ;)

Dang! poddage everywhere! One thing I've taken notice of; you northern growers get those pods so much earlier than me, and that's in the growth stage of the plants. I don't see that until my plants are 3' tall or better. And then it's set and forget. I get my hauls and they're done...by uh, now.

Good luck on the rest of your grow, things are looking spectacular!

Pizza sounds good...I may just throw one on the grill for an appetizer today
. The cold rest is the way to go especially when using an Active Dryed Yeast. I've left dough in the fridge up to 4 days with no issues........you can go up to 7 days, but at that point the dough needs to be sheeted or rolled to prevent tearing. Most pizza joints here do a one day rest and, as with anyform of  baking the ingredients need to be weighed to be precise. The longer the dough rest in the fridge the better the ferment..........what a smell when a good pie hits the oven !

I've expermented with starting seedlings super early indoors....late November being the earliest. There are  advantages but the cost and the lack of space rules that idea out in the future. My start will be late Feburary next season. When growing indoors under long light cycles (24 hrs constant) the plants push forward and produce more nodes and flowers in a shorter duration. I beleive thats the path the plants take when adapting to the outdoors....short and very shrubby. Probably in your climate the daylight hrs are long early in the season with a greater degree of intense sun...far more than we receive here in peak June. Southern growers tend to have large plants quite early.............not sure how many nodes per capita, but the combination of fast pod production and quicker ripening has big advantages............not only the bumper crumps once the weather cools.
Heck intense sun is great..........but I can tell having shade cloth down south can make a difference when the temps are up.

Enjoy the rest of your day...it's still the weekend !

Medium Heat said:
WOW, that is a MONSTER looking garden. The plants I got from you this year (I think just about everything I am growing) are doing very Well. So Far it is more than I could have hoped for. The selection you had was OUTSTANDING, I will have to get some pictures up soon. I am already planning next year's selection.

Hey Chris.............glad to see you here !
Throw some photos together....everyone likes pepper pictures. 
Man I'm waiting for all the green stuff to start turning all the colors in the rainbow...........so far only a handful of ripe supers.

Trippa said:
OK Greg .... so I take it from these pictures you enjoy growing chilli's and cooking food?? Just a guess ;) . Seriously man fantastic pod shots/garden/flower and food shots. You really do give me great inspiration/aspiration for my garden ventures (mainly my future ones :D ) ...

quick question this...."Red UBSC........2nd yr growing these....seeds were sent from Brandon (Big Cedar)." .... what are they ? Awesome looking pods!

Thanks Tripp,
Correct..seeds were from Brandon a couple seasons back. (UBSC) as mentioned by Chris (Medium Heat) It's the "Unknown Brain Strain Cross"
Not sure if that was one of his crosses or elsewhere. They could be some type of Naga cross since the pods are elongated. As with any 7 ....there's no dice about them being HOT !
I actually had a brown variant out of his seeds...that I passed along to a few folks here....and have a plant or two growing myself.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Love the updates. .m last year when we grew the nagabrain 3 colors. 5 phenos I believe Gary is growing a yellow. ..

As.for the moa.. yoi are correct. .. same great taste. . Which is all that matters

.btw how's that red moa...congrats.on gaining a son in law... happy growing
Glad the lineage of the bubblegum is continuing. . I got the seeds from a guy namr Martin slater from the uK

I grew them 2 years.ago and shared with Shane and was glad to see his last years grow also grew true ... FYI. The elongated bbg7 has emerged. . Even an orange bbg7

My 1st yr of growing the NagaBrain.....Gary sent me some beautiful  Red pods which I scarfed out seeds, also sent another envelope with F3 seeds. I'm assuming that those were the Yellow. I planted both and originally labelled both, but finally tagged both variants.."NagaBrain".I'm sure I'll get some Red ones out of one of the plants.

DeNNiz you need to take a Vaca to Jamaica....
Once you get ahold of a Jamaican Scotch Bonnet that was grown under the Jamaican Sun, in island soil...with the sent of Jerk cooking in the air and the steel drum music in the background....then your quest to Follow that Bonnet will be over... :party:

Check the last series for a shot of a Red Moa.....not the best pheno, but these are the 1st pods.........just hoping they'll stay red.

Do the calyx still bleed with the Orange BG7 and the elognated ?
stickman said:
The pie looks to die for Greg! I just love me some thin-crust pizza if it's cooked right. Lately, I've fallen in love with a middle-eastern spice mix called za'atar, and I've been using it to make Manousheh... plural Maneesh. I mix enough of the za'atar with good olive oil to brush out onto thin-formed pizza dough, top with sliced ripe tomatoes and slices of fresh mozzarella, then bake in a hot oven. I'd be willing to bet the Costolutos would be perfect for this... ;)

Drive on!
Thanks Rick.......I've made Za'atar before......toasting both white and black sesame seeds, I don't use sumac though. It's a bit too pungent and citrusy, I'll crack open a black cardamon pod or twp instead. 
Hmmm....I'm not familar with Manousheh.........but I'll have to look it up.
Man I love a good flat bread.........the thinner the better....naan, rosti..........pita's good for the pocket stuff....and filling the belly with carbs.....lol
Thanks for the info...dude

I've expermented with starting seedlings super early indoors....late November being the earliest. There are  advantages but the cost and the lack of space rules that idea out in the future. My start will be late Feburary next season. When growing indoors under long light cycles (24 hrs constant) the plants push forward and produce more nodes and flowers in a shorter duration. I beleive thats the path the plants take when adapting to the outdoors....short and very shrubby. Probably in your climate the daylight hrs are long early in the season with a greater degree of intense sun...far more than we receive here in peak June. Southern growers tend to have large plants quite early.............not sure how many nodes per capita, but the combination of fast pod production and quicker ripening has big advantages............not only the bumper crumps once the weather cools.
Heck intense sun is great..........but I can tell having shade cloth down south can make a difference when the temps are up.

For me this year the November seed start worked perfectly. I was busy harvesting and starting plants. The grow never really stopped. I don't think I'll let them go until fall this year. No break for me or the soil when I do that. I do think I set them out too early, Tomatoes don't mind the cool feet, the peppers hated it. Still learning! And yes sun shades are a must here unless scalded fruits are on the menu ;)

Enjoy your Sunday!

Awesome pics, thanks for the update!  Your garden is amazing.  food looks great! I miss that goose island beer! My good friend Phil used too brew there but he owns his own brewery in st louis now!

PIC 1 said:

Brain Strain flower

NagaBons................THSC creation

Red UBSC........2nd yr growing these....seeds were sent from Brandon (Big Cedar).........where you at BC.......Get out of that lawn chair........ :lol:

Burgandy 7/ Pots

Brain Strain........(PRF)..........another plant that puts out uniform pods.............it's become a favorite the last few yrs for me and local friends that grow it.

Smooth Bhut Jolokia's..................possibly a cross of some sort.

Costoluto Genevese Tomatoes...............mater's are ripening slowly

Did a taste testing with one of my sons. ...Bonda Ma Jacques/Yellow 7 on the left, Naga Morich, Yellow NagaBrain on the right.
None of the pods had many seeds (1st pick) but the oil factor was high. We started with the Naga Morich, I should have none better because it ripped me pretty fast. It's been awhile since I had a fresh pod from the garden. Although I eat sauce everyday, use powder and flakes in my meals....fresh pods are quite different. I lost my son to a bowl of ice cream after that one.
The NagaBrain had a floral flav with the throat burning heat.........I can't wait to powder a few up for the spice jar. The Yellow 7 was not so mellow, but the Habish Bonda Ma Jacque side of things gave it a surprising unique flavor. I can see a sauce in a bottle with those pods.

Just to be on the level with this.......ha.........Here's an MoA, ...not an "A" grade looking pod. But, whether it's an A,B,C,D,....F-.....  :shocked: .....I'll be honest with ya, cut up any grade pod and do a test tasting........they'll all taste the same.........If you're shooting for symmetry then grow many plants as I do because the variation is vast.

Even "Sunny" gets into the spirit of things........and even he can't beleive the pod is on the  :lol: level.........

only a few more...on their way
great pics right here!  Your mOa looks great, i'll grade it A-, your cat is awesome!  I want to grow those maters in the future, how's the flavor?

I want to... I've been dreaming about it as for now.. wife gets separation anxiety and can't bare to be with out the kids for more th an 3 days...

As for the elongated. . It bleeds red on the calyx still.. as well as the orange

Back