• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PIC 1's...Pepper Graphic...2014

Time to get this Grow off the ground...

Well sort of...at least the indoor part of it.  Here's the current look at some of my outdoor containers. We've had higher than normal snow amounts since December. A couple of hard frosts to boot. That may kill alot of the spring White Fly that have been dominant the last 2 seasons.

A Couple Shots from the Most Recent Seasons

I've started out my seeds for many years in Dec/Jan, and no doubt will provide nice plants with rewarding harvests.
But when you have to start indoors under lights it comes with a cost of time, material and utilities. With some thought I've finally come to (my senses)  a conclusion. As of Febuary 1st I have roughly 14 weeks to plant out. I'm confident that I can raise healthy plants indoors in that span. So this year will be the test...who knows maybe next season will be a March startup.......a march to the finish !

This was my largest harvest last season, late August, 40+ lbs......a few hrs and many beers worth of picking.  
The harvests after this were a few bushels here and there down to the 5 bucket pulls once a week come late September.

Enough of the Old and in With the New...

Lights...Action......Camera !

Speaking of lights...my current and permanent grow area has been moved down to the sub basement. I gave up a spare bedroom which has been converted into a guest room........ :rolleyes:
I currently have alittle over half the room and lighting setups that I had last year.  I'm planning to use every bit of it.
When running over 4k of power you need to have enough "juice"  to supply the lights safely. Inaddition to the circuits I had in the past for the basement grow I've added 2 additional 20a dedicated runs. Also for those who don't, having a smoke detector within perimeter and a fire extinguisher nearby would be a good idea, especially when running HPS units.

I'm still in the process of mounting some lights, and unless they're being hard wired its a good idea to keep the power cables off the floor

Here's a photo of the plant framing before the shelving is put into place. The deminsions are 54" wide and 12' long.
There's 3 tiers....top has 7 six bulb high bay T8 fixtures, middle tier (shown) has 10 four bulb close spaced T8's with a 6 bulb T8 at each end. The bottom has currently 4 six bulb T8's with a few more being added. The sides have 70% Aluminet shade cloth with can be rolled up unto a pvc pipe and secured to the ceiling. The cloth can let air circulation through by the means of a fan(s). The ends of the framing have foiled faced styro insulated panels.

Here we have cups ready to go, each cup may have anywhere between 2 and 20 seeds depending on the variety.
I'm starting out alittle different with the seed soak this season. In the past I've used Potassium Nitrate (Salt Petre) for part of the soak. I'm out of it and its too late to order....what I'm doing instead is a 2 hr soak with 10% Hydrogen Peroxide/ water mix.......drain out then a 24hr soak with a brew of Chamomile Tea (4 tea bags to a gallon of distilled) plus one drop of Superthrive to the gallon. I haven't used the tea before but have heard excellent results in regards to damping off prevention or seed fungal issues.

The mediums for the indoor grow.....Hoffmans for the seed starter. For the potting up I'm using a mix of Happy Frog, Ocean Forest and Pro-Mix. These will get equally mixed into thirds. My usual Fafards MetroMix is not in stock. These will give great results as I've used them in the past.

a few more shots later after dinner...........did some body say Octopus in Red Sauce.....yum

Seriously some awesome stuff going on up in here! I think I'd be lucky to get that much weight in a pull from 100 plants lol. Maybe 20 but 40 no way! Awesome jellies, pictures plants and everything else. 

PIC 1 said:

another gangway plant..... :lol: ..........Yellow 7 x Bonda Ma Jacques

You've taken on a lot of work my friend.  How about growing just one plant next year ;)

This yellow 7 x bonda looks truly yellow... or is it just the pic?  How does it taste?  I have a Fatalii I grew, looks pretty, but the taste is so-so.  I'm not sure if I should overwinter the plant to get more cool looking classic Fatalii pods, or just cut my losses.  I wonder which of these yellow 7 x bondas people will decide to keep going, there is a fair amount of variability at this point...

PIC 1 said:
Finally, a ripe UBSC Brown.......I'll pick this one off tomorrow and slice it open........just to look at it..........lol
Really lol, that has a dangerous looking texture!
Btw plenty of wondeful looking pods!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Seriously some awesome stuff going on up in here! I think I'd be lucky to get that much weight in a pull from 100 plants lol. Maybe 20 but 40 no way! Awesome jellies, pictures plants and everything else. 

Thanks....I'd like to harvest more than once a week as the peppers are piling up. 
Today starts the 1st round of red sauce.
Spicegeist said:

You've taken on a lot of work my friend.  How about growing just one plant next year ;)

This yellow 7 x bonda looks truly yellow... or is it just the pic?  How does it taste?  I have a Fatalii I grew, looks pretty, but the taste is so-so.  I'm not sure if I should overwinter the plant to get more cool looking classic Fatalii pods, or just cut my losses.  I wonder which of these yellow 7 x bondas people will decide to keep going, there is a fair amount of variability at this point...

Pot up one plant........ :lol: 

That was the actual color of the pepper....not the bright yellow of the Scotch Bonnets, but these don't drift to an orange shade if left too long on the plant. Photo was taken in the shade, glossy reflection on the pepper.....due to smooth texture and crummy camera.

I didn't have the chance to try this as I'm in the process of grinding up extra yellow pods into a 5 gal mash. Although out of the few plants of this type I like the shape of these pods best. Uniform and Bonda shaped....now I'll have to check if there are any more ripe ones on that plant when I get home. ....slice one up in a garden salad tonight.

PIC 1 said:

I am planning on trying that  pod
....in small pieces.......mixed into ice cream.........with a yogurt milkshake....near a bathroom........ha
The only experience with ice and heat has been a 7pod on a granita. Frightening. I wasn't able to eat more than 3 spoons. The first time i ate various spoons, then a volcano erupted in my mouth and chest simultaneously. Probably i could have hung in more but i didn't care and i ran to the milk. :D

Essegi said:
The only experience with ice and heat has been a 7pod on a granita. Frightening. I wasn't able to eat more than 3 spoons. The first time i ate various spoons, then a volcano erupted in my mouth and chest simultaneously. Probably i could have hung in more but i didn't care and i run to the milk. :D

:D

Barley-pop57 said:
Thanks for the link on the tea.  I don't think my landlord would approve but I did save the link.

I can imagine the sound from the pump indoors..........some folks use an aquarium pump.............that just wouln't work with a larger set-up.

Wow, Greg. This season sure is giving you loads of pods, great job! I love those tailed Scotch Brain. Last season the first 6 pods on my plant had the same kind of pods.

IMAG3290.jpg

Then later they turned more like the gnarly bonnet pods they are this season to. Do all your pods on the plant look like that? If so keep those seeds apart :D

meatfreak said:
Wow, Greg. This season sure is giving you loads of pods, great job! I love those tailed Scotch Brain. Last season the first 6 pods on my plant had the same kind of pods.

Then later they turned more like the gnarly bonnet pods they are this season to. Do all your pods on the plant look like that? If so keep those seeds apart :D

Stefan all the pods on the one plant have the tails and are the Bonnet squat shape. The other plant that I'm growing has the bumpy Brain look
Kind of cool looking at your photo (F2) both 7 Pot and Bonnet shaped pods.

Have a great weekend.......yours will start before mine...... :P 

Another most excellent update!

Just a crazy harvest! And all the pods look spectacular.

You're going to be busy, busy, busy!

Thanks for showing us how it's really done!

Pepper Envy is a beearch !! ;) thanks for showing everyone what we can try to achieve ... now where did i leave my Gardening magicians wand ?? :D Good on you Greg ... smashing it!!

Two things that I was looking forward to today was the Jerk Chicken that was marinating in the fridge and the rain that we needed...

Bonnets Galore...........007 might be into these.......... :lol:
Hot sauce making tomorrow........and more harvesting.......but right now I have to take the chickens off the grill and get the plaintains and collards finished up...

Back tomorrow with a few more shots.....Have a great weekend

Nice bark on that Jerk Chicken, and another bumper harvest... I really like how you roll Greg! :party:

Do you have any pointers on getting pepper jelly to set up properly? I made some Jalapeno jelly with the recipe that came with the box of liquid pectin and it never did... even when I put it in the 'fridge. I don't want to add more sugar, so I'm guessing more pectin. Thanks for the help! :)

Back