• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Potawie's early progress 2010

I think I now finally have all my pepper seeds started, but still have to get tomatos and other veggies going very soon. About another month before I get the greenhouse fired up again but I've got spring fever already.
Here's a few winter projects I have going on that I thought I'd share

Chinese 5 color pod, part of a current cross-pollinating project
4384560549_a825efe8e0.jpg

Here's a Murupi doce I started early. After somehow loosing my saved seeds, I only had a couple seeds left from my original source so I started this one early in attempt to get some cuttings off it and maybe some early seeds now too. Look at the cluster of flowers, I don't know how many nodes are there but mega flowering
4380023024_76edcc7a9c.jpg

This is a pequin that I'm trying to grow as tall as possible. I have a second one I'm growing for bushiness
4384133359_3cd1303cdc.jpg

Ciao Derek-

Very impressive. I'm always amazed at how large and healthy your over-wintered stuff is before you've fired up the greenhouse. Where do you keep them all? You also seem to have won the battle with whiteflies and aphids. I always find that to be an issue with stuff brought in from outside.

glad your seasons starting off good derek.

my venezuelan purple has clusters just like that makes it very hard to pinch buds if ya gotta.

how do you make a plant grow tall, by pruning the lower braches?

also you said mupupi doce i 've heard of murupi doce is they a big difference?

There's many techniques to make a plant tall versus bushy. You can remove lower shoots, give only overhead light and/or increase temperatures. For bushier plants I like to add side lighting
Yes its Murupi, I just can't type well

Sorellina said:
Ciao Derek-

Very impressive. I'm always amazed at how large and healthy your over-wintered stuff is before you've fired up the greenhouse. Where do you keep them all? You also seem to have won the battle with whiteflies and aphids. I always find that to be an issue with stuff brought in from outside.

I'm always struggling with aphids and this year I have thrips too:( My few overwintered plants are only getting sunlight right now until I can setup some higher lights

All of those plants look like they live near the equator yet they still have another month till they will ever see any real sunshine. Winter projects for Potawie in the cold north is like those plants died and went to sunny heaven. It is a good thing that you live so far north just to handicap yourself against the rest of us. Your growing prowess always amazes me.

Thanks but not all my plants look so big and healthy. The ones in the pics are just some special winter plants.

hey Potawie,
Plants look great.
When do you usually move the plants to the greenhouse?
Do you bring in any x-tra heat for day or nightime until its late spring or summer?
I always have to wait until the end of May to bring them outside especially for Ottawa and Barrie areas

I don't isolate indoors since there are no pollinating insects or wind. The tagged pod is a specific cross which I need to keep identified.
I usually start using my greenhouse late March or early April and I have a woodstove and propane heaters when needed. I usually start by bringing plants out just during the day until its warm enough at night for my heating methods

Potawie,

Looks like you are off to a flying start in 20-10.

On a side note, I like your methods and innovative growing ways. Cuttings, GH, crossings - you like to push the edge and use all kind of tools, don't you!

Mike

I been wondering when you were going to let us in on what you got going P. wie. Looking good as always.

Your tagged pod, you hand pollinate it? Best of luck with them.

Thanks all.
I just shovelled/snowblowed around the greenhouse and its totally covered in snow again, but at least its quite warm:( Usually we get a bit more sunshine in late March-April which makes the greenhouse more efficient
The tagged pods had flowers emasculated and were hand pollinated

Back