• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Potawie's early progress 2010

The woodstove won't be lit for at least another week when it hopefully gets a bit warmer. For now I'm bringing plants in and out to save wood and save me from getting up every 4 hours.
I'm not sure about the price of greenhouses, there are just so many types with lots of different options. I got a great deal on mine a few years ago with lots of extras. I actually was just offered a 100 ft greenhouse with furnace and watering systems etc. for about $4000. I was tempted but its huge and I'd need to place it far from the house which would be a problem for electricity and water and I just don't have much money these days:(

Well I lied, its been really nice up my way so plants have spent a few nights in the greenhouse. Yesterday I didn't even fire up the woodstove, and even warmer tonight
With highs of 26 and 28 for today and tomorrow I'll definitely need my exhaust blower fired up and the shade cloth in effect.
The only other problem is that there is very little snow left to keep the beers cold;)

looks like your off to a great start potawie!! i'm sure i'll be salivating over your plants whilst we have weather that is way to cold for chilli production soon :) well done!!

you got some nice fast production from all your plants so far. Very full and healthy looking. Hopefully we can get more consistently warm temps soon to save on the transferring around.

Here's a few new pics I thought I'd share from the Potawie plant cave.

Plants are all crammed into the back heated side of the greenhouse at night lately so I can section it off for better heat management
4517941880_bd2fe2d05f.jpg

Here's a cool looking overwintered/bonsaii fatalii just starting to grow well again
4517941896_4c9ccfe6ef.jpg

And here's my first ripe pod which is a chinese 5 color which was pollinated with a whippet's tail plant. Although quite late already, I hope to start the seeds from this very soon
4517328065_42ec4e0c89.jpg

A bunch of smaller plants growing very quickly, mostly tomatoes and basil
4517975368_77c70df55b.jpg

Is that a banana plant on the right? Wow - you have so much open space compared to me. I almost have to turn sideways to walk between rows. Your's is quite the nice set-up!

Mike

Ya thats one of my three banana plants. They're just starting to really get going again
The weather has been above seasonal lately so I was able to extend the night section of my greenhouse recently by 4 feet which is giving me lots of extra room to move around. Usually its quite crammed in the GH, it also serves as a workshop, garden shed, storage area, and garage;)

I forgot about this guy. Here's my weird lemon bush that only wants to fruit in the fall/winter. One lemon just fell off and here's the only other one ready to pick
4519890765_434a2acc54.jpg

Looks like its floating:)

Potawie
Congratulations to all, with the heated greenhouse you can also grow tropical plants,
that's a good result considering that you live in canada
What temperatures are reached in your greenhouse ?

Ciao Luigi,
I try my best to keep the greenhouse temps above 5C(but preferably 10C) and below 40C. In the middle of the summer when the greenhouse gets too hot, all my plants go outside in the fresh air

Here's a bit of an update
Plants are doing fairly well in the greenhouse except for the constant aphid attacks.
I'm just hoping for some warm nights so I don't have to tend the fire, maybe I'll actually get some sleep.

Here's some royal black pods, can you see the aphids
4563705764_89ecf9ed84.jpg

Macska sarga pepper ripening to a beautiful yellow
4563699796_f1363233cf.jpg

And a shot of the back left side of my greenhouse, the full side
4563699792_7efa199f39.jpg

Beautiful, Derek! But the spelling is MACSKA, not masca. Macska = cat. The popular name of this pepper is Macskapöcse, which means Cat's d!ck. The official name is a shortened version. :D

POTAWIE said:
Sorry for the typo. Ya, I thought it meant yellow cat but I've never seen a yellow cat's dick before:)

Yellow cat would be sárga macska. :D It's Cat's Yellow D!ck...or Cat's D!ck Yellow... Haha! Somebody who gave the name of the pepper was envious, because here in Hungary the color of envy is yellow, not green. Oh well...

millworkman said:
wonderful starts. how cold is it still getting for you?
We're way above seasonal norms but we did have snow the other night/morning. On a side note, never trust google weather, man are they ever way off and drunken me had one difficult early morning saving plants last week:(

Back