• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Potentially silly question about pickling & drying

Just had an idea, don't know how good it is, but if it works I think it may kick ass. Basically, i really like the way pickling peppers makes them taste, so I was wondering if its possible to pickle peppers first, then dehydrate them after pickling and make powder from the pickled peppers?

Is this possible?

Would the pickling process affect the flavor of the dried powder enough to make it worthwhile?

Would this kick ass much ass as it sounds like?

Thoughts/comments please

interesting question, but it think the oil in them once pickled would make it a little difficult to powder..correct me if i am worng though please..

You would get vinegar flavor, it might be good, I would never do that.;)

You can always add vinegar to any recipe, you can't take it out.

Hotpeppa said:
interesting question, but it think the oil in them once pickled would make it a little difficult to powder..correct me if i am worng though please..

What oil?

cheezydemon said:
You would get vinegar flavor, it might be good, I would never do that.;)

You can always add vinegar to any recipe, you can't take it out.

I'm hoping for a powder that tastes salty/vinegary & hot, that could be used as a stand-alone topping for say popcorn or sprinkling on prepared foods.

I'm still going to just straight up dry most of my peppers though.

I say go for it and see how it works out. Just be sure to report your results cause I think it sounds like a good idea if it works. As an idea, you could always start them in the oven at a higher temp to cook off the extra added moisture then move them to the dehydrator to finish them off.

I'm with pepperfreak, give it a shot and let us know how the powder turns out. An interesting idea for sure.

A lot of the flavor will be gone after the drying process. Maybe just add acetic acid or critic acid to the powdered pepper?

you could do it and the pickling solution may assist with an even longer shelf life. though I suspect you will end up with an overpoweringly salty or vinegary taste sensation.

if this is your desired outcome then try a small batch first and see how it turns out.

Now that you've got a bunch of us wondering you have to try it. I keep having this vision of eating a bowl of popcorn and sweating my butt off. Oh yeah, bring on the pickled heat!!

patrick said:
Now that you've got a bunch of us wondering you have to try it. I keep having this vision of eating a bowl of popcorn and sweating my butt off. Oh yeah, bring on the pickled heat!!

Oh...Pepper powder on popcorn is awesome! But, as a friendly warning...Do not inhale as you're placing a piece of popcorn in you're mouth. The end result sucks...LOL...I know from past experience.

Experiment and see..Taste what happens,Worth it if you have a few peppers to try..And differnt vinegar is worth trying,I use white(spirit),Cider and wine to give differnt tastes :)

There is no such thing as a stupid question and yours sounds definitely interesting! I put some cayennes into white balsamico a few weeks ago and think about giving it a try!

Interesting... give it a shot and report. my personal guess is a bland mix, though. the vinegar "extracts" flavor and drying them won't exactly help much.

I dried the pickled cayennes yesterday and powdered them today. The surface of the dry cayennes was sticky with some raisin like remains of the vinegar so I was afraid the powder might clump. But it came out great.

It's a given not to inhale, but what about your eyes? Do you eat the popcorn with your hands? [tweezers]
I just thought I should add some caution to this thread.
Ha Ha Just don't try to catch them in your mouth. ;^`)

Armadillo said:
I dried the pickled cayennes yesterday and powdered them today. The surface of the dry cayennes was sticky with some raisin like remains of the vinegar so I was afraid the powder might clump. But it came out great.

That's what I was hoping to hear ;) Salt + vingear + fire = win?

Txclosetgrower said:
That's what I was hoping to hear :D Salt + vingear + fire = win?

;) Don't be too sure about the fire! As OMRI suspected the vinegar had extracted part of the heat. I filtered and kept the vinegar and it gives some mild heat for salads for example. So the heat left for the powder is mild too. I would describe it as tasty or spicy but not as hot.

Back