• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds PRF seed tray '09

AlabamaJack said:
I noticed last year that the annuums grew a lot faster than the chinense so this year I changed things up a bit...

Yeah, last year I thought I was doing something wrong to my habs 'cause they looked so runty next to my other plants. Watching habs grow is like torture!
c.

cmpman1974 said:
AJ, they are a hybrid with a LOT of vigor. I know the person who created them and gave Beth the seeds. :)

Chris

That is the advantage of hybrids/crosses and the reason so many of the veggies in the supermarkets are F1 hybrids. The disadvantage is that saving seeds is futile.

Day 12. The fun part is about to begin potting up 100 or so plants. Here are pics of Trinidad Congo, Yellow T. Scorpion, and Cappucino Habanero. Moving them to cups later today.
IMG_2127.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

Noah, I just take my tray to the kitchen sink and flood the top of the soil with the hose once a day. With this much heat and air flow it is difficult to over water.

I'm feeding them Neptune's Harvest Seaweed and Fish Fertilizer. I noticed when I was in the gardening store they now sell this stuff combined, mine is a two different bottles. I have to use this stuff just to keep my Pro-Mix from drying out, it almost helps hold moisture. I use the seaweed as soon as I have hooks and then fish when I start getting first leaves. I'll use them both again before they leave the tray. Plain h2o the rest of the time.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I'm feeding them Neptune's Harvest Seaweed and Fish Fertilizer. I noticed when I was in the gardening store they now sell this stuff combined, mine is a two different bottles. I have to use this stuff just to keep my Pro-Mix from drying out, it almost helps hold moisture. I use the seaweed as soon as I have hooks and then fish when I start getting first leaves. I'll use them both again before they leave the tray. Plain h2o the rest of the time.

Ok, thanks. I used some Sea Magic last year with inconclusive results, although I did have my biggest ever Manzano Reds from a 2nd year plant. I've never used anything at the seed starting stage though.

Potted up to cups the best 4 or 5 plants of each variety. This is what is left of the my first two seed trays I wish I didn't have to trash them. Think I'll take a trip to the garden center and see if they will give me any credit. I have 72 plants in cups now. Happy Presidents Day everybody.
IMG_2139.jpg

I'm not killing them. Just got home from our local garden center and they provided me with 3 trays and 54 3" square pots to put them in. They said they will buy all my extras for 10 bucks a tray of 18. Not a whole lot of money but better than them going to compost. At least I don't have to sit out on the side of the road selling plants either.

heck Cappy, that almost pays for a bale of your soil...

good for you...

forgot to say...I had my first order for Bhut Jolokias today...4 @ $4.00 each

Yes they got one heck of a bargain. Where else are you going to find the variety of peppers that we grow. I told them I would be able to supply them with peppers every couple weeks so 3 trays is only a start. Thanks AJ, congrats on your sale today.

Back