• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds PRF seed tray '09

AlabamaJack said:
she said why don't you just use your greenhouse....dangit that woman is smart...plants going into greenhouse...

D'oh! Now MY secret is out.

We're still waiting for the pictures of this alleged "greenhouse" that has nothing green in it yet. :lol:

Your plants are looking DAMN good so far PRF:)

And yeah AJ, doesn't it make ya mad when they come up with smart solutions so quickly...lol Use the greenhouse....I know I am and things are looking fairly decent so far.

Thanks Pepper-Guru, was hoping to see an update on your seedlings soon. I have noticed you put your cups in your window also. Similar results? I am on to all you greenhouse growers carol, Rich, AJ, etc...

Grin....starting a new thread with pictures just for Carol..this is a magnanimous occasion...first time the 6 week old babies have seed the outside....

and yeah Guru....I am glad even tho' it makes me look like a dummy...I have to claim short term memory loss because of the 60s....

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Thanks Pepper-Guru, was hoping to see an update on your seedlings soon. I have noticed you put your cups in your window also. Similar results? I am on to all you greenhouse growers carol, Rich, AJ, etc...

My seedlings are nowhere near yours yet PRF. I'll post pics in a week or two after the first transplant out of the dixie cups. I do sunlight from south windows when the greenhouse is too cold as well as a 250watts of MH at night on SOME nights.

Planted tray #5 and #6 last night, mostly annuums and tomatoes. The cups from trays #1 and #2 in the window are off to a great start and looking fantastic. Seed trays #3 and #4 under the HID are pushing out their first true leaves will be transplanted in a week. The first cups with good size starts will then be back under the MH until move outside. Here is a list of plants for 2009, 45 different varieties.:onfire:

Fatalli
7 Pod
Trinidad Douglah
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga
Yellow Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Congo
Bih Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Habanero
Chocolate Habanero
Mustard Habanero
Cappucino Habanero
Carribean Red Habanero
Red Dominican Habanero
Condor's Beak Habanero
Golden Habanero
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Big Sun Scotch Bonnet
Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Trinidad Perfume
Tobago Scotch Bonnet
Red Savina
Orange Habanero
Naga Morich
Datil
Yellow Habanero Mexico
Peach Habanero
White Habanero
7 Pod Jonahs
Chocolate Fatalli
Cumari ah Passarhino
Lemon Drop
Fatalli Red
Bishops Hat
Tobago Seasoning
Goats Weed
Pasilla
Chimayo
Purple Jalapeno
Yellow Bell
Jalapeno M
Avery Island Tabasco
Serrano

Very nice list of peppers Cappy. The different Habanero varieties alone are impressive. Never heard of some of them. Google, here I come. :) My 2nd round of seedlings I started in Pro-Mix are doing a lot better than the 1st round in rockwool. Might have been because of the weak light they were getting, I'm not sure. I switched from a single GE grow bulb to a two bulb shop light. I just got my Hydrofarm 125watt CFL and that thing looks really bright. Hopefully, I can keep these seedlings alive until spring. I've already lost 3 of my 6 Fataliis. I think I started seeds too early. Getting cold here tonight - 22F. Coldest winter in Virginia in many years. I'm starting to think Al Gore is totally full of crap.

We'll get you some seed then Carol. Tony hang in there you get this growing thing down soon with that new CFL. I think that is the perfect choice, grows really nice green plants and not to much heat or money. I always grew leggy plants in rockwool for some reason. It has been a cold winter, here's hoping for springtime really soon. Tony all I have is one MH, one shop light, and one fan.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
We'll get you some seed then Carol.

I've got my hands full this year trying new varieties. Hopefully I won't like them all and that will free me up for different ones again.
I think one of them will be whatever next year's contest ...err I mean comparison smack down will be. ;)

caroltlw said:
I've got my hands full this year trying new varieties. Hopefully I won't like them all and that will free me up for different ones again.
I think one of them will be whatever next year's contest ...err I mean comparison smack down will be. ;)

See, therein lies the problem, I keep finding more and more varieties that I really like.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Tony all I have is one MH, one shop light, and one fan.

You've hit on the perfect combination of nutes, light, heat and air movement. Not to mention the ability to repeat it all, that's the key for consistent results. I need to find that sweet spot with what I have and then I'll be fine. I bought some Neptunes Harvest Fish fertilizer and I'm going to start giving the seedlings some of that and see if it helps. Also picked up another bale of Pro-Mix so I can re-pot some of my over wintered plants from last year out of the MG soil. They were still selling the Pro-Mix for $29.77/bale and a place down the street - literally a mile or 2 away wanted $54.95 bale. I'm thinking Pro-Mix has a price increase coming - too much good publicity. I swear this forum is good for the economy. I've spent more this year than my previous ten years plus of growing put together.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
We'll get you some seed then Carol. Tony hang in there you get this growing thing down soon with that new CFL. I think that is the perfect choice, grows really nice green plants and not to much heat or money. I always grew leggy plants in rockwool for some reason. It has been a cold winter, here's hoping for springtime really soon. Tony all I have is one MH, one shop light, and one fan.

So, what do you do to isolate your seed? I was pretty put out after the tomato hornworm fiasco this year. First time that's ever happened to me.

Pam said:
So, what do you do to isolate your seed?

Distance is the only way to ensure true isolation. And if grown inside, then different rooms should suffice as long as pollen doesn't hitch a ride from one room to another by means of your hands, clothes, shoes, etc etc.

How far apart are your patches PRF? Some years I isolate for seed and some years I just dont feel like preparing different patches...lol

The Pro-Mix price went up to 35 buck per bale down here, I bought the last three at the old price because they didn't change their signs. Thanks for you compliment Tony, but it is only experience. I have made just about every mistake up to this point and have learned from most of them. Pam, I have been around long enough to know that this is a touchy situation for you. I have saved seed for years from my best early peppers. If it is really special I'll bring the plant inside. I have all my bees named and trained which flowers they are allowed to land on. I have the very best germination rates from my saved seed. I think this whole pepper cross thing is just so you spend money ordering new seed each year. I spend my money on good potting soil. Don't let that upset please.

Plant pics. First pic is Tray #3 and #4 coming to life, next is the cups from the first 2 trays, and finally the Fatalli that wants outside so bad it sit by the door.
IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

I disagree that it's a money making boondoggle, but it's not a touchy subject. I'm just not interested in seeds from people who don't isolate. I want what I think I'm planting to be what grows.

I just told a story about the Puppy Au Pair's experience with a volunteer Puppy pepper that looked exactly like a Puppy pepper, but had obviously crossed with something much hotter. Peppers will readily cross pollinate, so unless you isolate, you have no idea if what you've got is pure.

It occurs to me that there is a lot of chatter here from folks who say that this or that pepper was not as hot as or else hotter than it was supposed to be, or that it didn't taste right, or . Since cross breeds generally look like the parent plant, I think you guys are passing around a whole hell of a lot of cross breeds and simply don't want to look at the problem too closely.

Me? I want reputable sources, and I consider it money well spent.

Back