• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

randyp SW Iowa 2015 not corn grow.

Time to knock the dust off the keypad and practice with the camera I got at the end of last season.My seed list is ready but still needs taken down a bit.I will say (judy) is going to have her own section in my garden and Hence forth shall be stated in my updates as(The Judy Wing).Also I have some seeds from my good buddy Dew(thanks Scott).One more shout out to Chris(Joyners powders friggin rock)as I will be introducing his ""Mystery Wine""to some good old dark Iowa soil.
    Alabama Jack,your puree basic recipe is the one I now will be using to preserve peppers for sauces that I don't dry,send to our friends on this site or torment my people at the factory with.It's so simple that I can move your numbers up or down and get the same results.I will be doing a better job this year on weights and measurements to not only help me but anyone checking in so if they see something I need to adjust,we have accurate numbers to go by.
   Starting nursery first week of March,plant out date first week of May.
All will be from seed this year.My first two years I bought some live plants,after I did my first start with seeds last year,I found they were more prepared and thrived because they had been in my control from the start.I do think highly of"chiliplants"and would send anyone looking for a healthy plant or new types to consult them.
      I look forward to watch other glogs,as we fight the weather,bugs,and other thing's the Wrath of God sends our way.
   Good luck to all.
 Randy
P.s
  If I can get my seed from the "Growdown"to be as tall as the corn here I will be a happy man. :party:

Puree --
2100 gr  peppers
1260 ml wht,vinegar
2tbls sea salt
7tbls honey

I found my new roaster perfect for this,as i ruin more pans trying to cook on a burner.(get a good one)
Use nothing but plastic utensils,I set temp at 275 degrees and adjusted up or down according to my simmer.
cooked down just a bit not 1/3rd for this batch.I am still toying with what works for me.
Waterbath jars.This made 3qts and 1pt(i will never,never cook puree or any heavy on the peppers stuff in the house again.lesson learned.)
thanks again AJ
2015-01-18 005.JPG

2015-01-18 006.JPG

2015-01-18 007.JPG

2015-01-18 009.JPG

2015-01-18 010.JPG

tctenten said:
Nice to see them in the dirt.  Hope you have another great season!
Thanks Terry,soon as we start producing I want you to pic out some ya like so I can send ya some,I still have yer addy unless you moved buddy.

Thanks Randy. Still in the same spot, and same here. I will be posting what i have growing after it hits the dirt tomorrow. If there is anything you want to try, just let me know.

Nice that you have your plants out in the dirt Randy! :woohoo:  I'm moving mine outside this weekend too. I think spring is finally here. :dance:

tctenten said:
Thanks Randy. Still in the same spot, and same here. I will be posting what i have growing after it hits the dirt tomorrow. If there is anything you want to try, just let me know.
  You bet Terry,Are ya doing a glog/?

stickman said:
Nice that you have your plants out in the dirt Randy! :woohoo:  I'm moving mine outside this weekend too. I think spring is finally here. :dance:
starting sunday we hit a 7 day rainy period.My dirt Rick is ready now and I did not want to take the chance of having to plant in mud.I sacrifice hardening time,but with it being mostly cloudy I should be ok.I had been turning on my high sodium light on them a couple hours a day for a month.I dont know if it helps or not.It felt great to send some of the Kids(plants)off to their first day of school Rick. :party:

I put up a half ass cover for the babies so they get sun but not sunburn for a couple days.The top will be coming off and put up again at the end of the year.It's the nylon 50% i bought from megagreenhouse 3 years ago.Its still like brand new.Good stuff
2015-05-03 09.02.58.jpg

2015-05-03 09.19.32.jpg

a silent tour of the plants,i will sing next time
http://youtu.be/XeEo-tLv6g0

Pulled the shade off the first row I planted last friday.Time to finish off the beds and get a final list up for you guys of what plants made it out of spring training.
after 1 week only 1 of 24 plants need replaced
2015-05-08 06.03.27.jpg

row 2 about to be planted
2015-05-08 06.03.01.jpg

last row and some dude finishing things off
2015-05-08 09.18.42.jpg

last weeks row earned it's mulch
2015-05-08 10.39.55.jpg

posting for the neighbors
2015-05-08 10.40.14.jpg

stickman said:
Great job Randy! Your plants look fantastic. I love the sign warning off garden thieves too. Heh, heh... :hell:
     Thanks Rick.I have lots of 10$ bills for any takers.I would not offer that to our crowd,i could go broke.
i covered all plants because of cool weather and storms this week.will be pulling and going full sun next week.On a side note.""I LOVE MY AUTO-DRIP SETUP"" Hands free watering is the best addition since i started growing peppers.I have a log book and record waterings amount
2015-05-10 09.59.17.jpg

randyp said:
     Thanks Rick.I have lots of 10$ bills for any takers.I would not offer that to our crowd,i could go broke.
i covered all plants because of cool weather and storms this week.will be pulling and going full sun next week.On a side note.""I LOVE MY AUTO-DRIP SETUP"" Hands free watering is the best addition since i started growing peppers.I have a log book and record waterings amount
attachicon.gif
2015-05-10 09.59.17.jpg

Nice! Ya gotta love having the watering taken care of so you can focus on the plants themselves. I just got a water meter that screws onto the hose bib and measures the water drawn from it "per use" and "season total." It only cost about $25 and seems to work very well. http://www.p3international.com/products/p0550.html
It's come in really handy the last week or so... we've only gotten 0.2 inches of rain in the last 3 weeks and the temptation is to overwater to compensate The meter helps keep me on track. Cheers!

stickman said:

Nice! Ya gotta love having the watering taken care of so you can focus on the plants themselves. I just got a water meter that screws onto the hose bib and measures the water drawn from it "per use" and "season total." It only cost about $25 and seems to work very well. http://www.p3international.com/products/p0550.html
It's come in really handy the last week or so... we've only gotten 0.2 inches of rain in the last 3 weeks and the temptation is to overwater to compensate The meter helps keep me on track. Cheers!
   Rick with my meter I now have a way to track usage for the whole season.I love statistics.
 Plants have stalled while we went cold the last week.I will be replacing some little ones that wont have the time to be fully productive.My beds are prime spots that will not be used as an intensive care unit..
1rst row has the main plants in it and are doing well
P5200008.JPG

shade now pulled for season unless temps go over 95 or I have incoming Hail.Row by fence will be having replacement plants in a week for the ones that show signs that they dont give a crap.
P5200009.JPG

poppers are doing good
P5200010.JPG

sunburn from not getting hardened fully,New shoots show good sign.
P5200007.JPG

Trident chilli said:
I noticed on your grow list "mystery wine" (Chris) this should be interesting ... all the best now they are in the dirt
  The MW is one of the plants that are going off life support.I tried 3 times to get a germ.Got one so late it was a very week start.I got the seeds from a pod chris sent me.I told Chris of my germination problem and he will be kicking me out some better seeds for my 2016,It is a great pod and breaks my heart i could not get mine going.My fault on the saved seeds I am sure,

I have added 6 TOMS to the beds after evicting some peppers I started to late.I knew they would not have my RENT money in September when I come around to collect.Got the tom  seeds from chiliplants.
1.german giant
2.costoluto genovese
3.caspian pink
4.boxcar willey
5.mexican midget
6.amish pink
P5230003.JPG

Ya, OK... if you must replace chiles with tomatoes, you must. ;)    Actually, your in-ground plants look excellent, and you're gonna need tomatoes for hot sauces down the line, eh? :)

Plants look great.

Have you ever grown the Boxcar Willey tomato before? I tried for two years and both years had very low harvests. Nice tasting tomato but just didn't have much luck unfortunately.

Love the sign for would be thieves

Scorched said:
Plants look great.

Have you ever grown the Boxcar Willey tomato before? I tried for two years and both years had very low harvests. Nice tasting tomato but just didn't have much luck unfortunately.

Love the sign for would be thieves
    Tony I got seeds from chilliplants for the Toms so this will be a new experience for me doing them from start to finish.I normally got prestarted Toms that everybody in town grew at our local grocery.I will keep a close eye on the Boxcars and let ya know how they do. ;)

Back