• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

reptiles

We have Bob, the Bearded Dragon and Indian Corn, the 5' long Amelanistic Corn Snake. I used to have an 18' Burmese Python and I sold it to a friend of mine. The cage was a bit shoddy, meaning the top would fall inside if you weren't careful. He threw in a big live rabbit and the top fell in so he stuck his hand in to fix it with the live rabbit inside! The snake thought his hand was the rabbit! All the tendons in his right hand snapped and shot back up to his elbow! He's a guitar player! He eventually traded the snake for a 12 gauge double barreled shotgun.

I use to breed venomous snakes. Had a breeding pair of the following: Monocled Cobra, Suphan Cobra, Indonesian Spitting Cobra, Red Spitting Cobra, and Black Pakistan Cobra. Had individual specimens of the following: Gaboon Viper, Puff Adder, Egyptian Cobra, Cape Cobra, Albino Monocled Cobra, Fer-De-Lance, Venezualan Lancehead, Common Lancehead, Western Diamondback Rattlesnake, Eastern Diamondback, Copperhead, Ball Python, Colombian Red Tail. Had to get rid of them because of the economy and new living arrangements. Love reptiles. Also had some scorpions for awhile too. As you can tell I love cobras. They (Elapids (cobras, mambas, etc.)) are very intelligent and have a "personality" that I loved. Also, since I was a kid, their hooded look always made me want to work with them.

Downgraded after divorce, now just;
2 x Red Bellied Blacks
1 x Dajarra Death Adder
2 x Bredli Pythons
1 x juvenile Hypo Bredli
1 x het for albino Darwin Carpet
and a wish list a mile long.
I know Mr Arboc is a herper too.

2 x Red Bellied Blacks
1 x Dajarra Death Adder
2 x Bredli Pythons
1 x juvenile Hypo Bredli

Him and I had a lengthy discussion about hots. How do you like the death adder? The most scary snake I ever worked with or owned was the Fer-de-Lance.......Extremely flighty and random.

2 x Red Bellied Blacks
1 x Dajarra Death Adder
2 x Bredli Pythons
1 x juvenile Hypo Bredli

I envy you! You have some awesome pythons!
I used to breed a lot of Australian & Indonesian pythons, along with a variety of black rat phases, a few species of milk & king, & A ton of northern pines, of different phases, & a few other species I can't remember at the moment. the only hot stuff was northern copperhead & Texas night snakes, the night snakes don't have a very potent venom.

Him and I had a lengthy discussion about hots. How do you like the death adder? The most scary snake I ever worked with or owned was the Fer-de-Lance.......Extremely flighty and random.

You aren't kidding about the Fer-de-lance, I see them quite often, at my farms. It's the only species that I ever encountered, that is blatantly aggressive, one of the few snakes that will come after you instead of trying to flee.

You aren't kidding about the Fer-de-lance, I see them quite often, at my farms. It's the only species that I ever encountered, that is blatantly aggressive, one of the few snakes that will come after you instead of trying to flee.

Yep. I didn't keep that guy for long. Gave it to a guy in Texas who works with them. So.....figured I'd at least give him to a good home.

The adder is probably the easiest snake Ive kept. Ive had 2 others but they were in transit and had the same demeanor.
It's placid and calm and responds well to me cleaning, has a feeding record second to none. Its taken to captivity well, and coming up to feed day still does the caudal luring thing! Top of her head and tail only visible. Never get tired of watching it.

But...it's also the one hot that Im most cautious around. Fastest strike rate of any snake in the world and even a semi-dry bite will almost guarantee renal failure in old age. So I give her utmost respect. If I didnt live within 20kms from a hospital, I wouldn't have her. Make sense of all that... ;)
John Deutscher (respected keeper here in Aus) got tagged by a little one and suffered badly. This article is him taking the piss..

Fer de Lance are like Eastern Browns and Taipans... I wouldnt have them in a collection. Too feisty, too aggressive and I cant be arsed dealing with that :beer:
I get enough of that with my Bredli haha

Our most defensive snake is the Eastern Brown, and Ive read studies that suggest that if you stand motionless, you are good. Given they are a common snake and I rarely encounter them (even after looking for them) I think thats the best advice. Encounter a snake (not stepping on it or applying the shovel/chasing it) and stand still...all be good. Most bites are dry anyway.

Here's a vid that is good for a laugh;

We have a Columbian Redtail boa, about five feet long and a Dumerils boa, about two feet long. Got them both as babies. The redtail belongs to my youngest daughter and for the most part grew up on my daughters head. It would wrap his tail around her pony tail and hang out on top of her head. Funny. The Dumerils belongs to the youngest son. It spends it's time imitating a necklace around the boy's neck.

I'm not a huge snake fan but not a phobe either. I am getting a little nervous when it comes to feeding the redtail.

Here's Moose about a year or so ago.

IMG_3356.jpg

We currently have about 225 tarantulas, from babies to adults.

This is one of my favs, a Poecilotheria miranda.

IMG_5906re.jpg

This is a shot of when I first opened an egg sac. These are 52 days old from the date the eggs were first deposited into the sac.

IMG_5679are.jpg

Sorry for the non reptile pics. Hard to resist.

Not aggressive at all. In fact they are one of the more nervous, run and hide tarantula's I've ever owned. If you shine a light on them or touch the table their container is on they start fleeing and looking for a place to hide. They do have one of the more potent venom though and aren't something to play with in my opinion. Can't kill you, no tarantula can, but can make you wish you were dead for a little bit.

Back