• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

reptiles

Bredls are my fave python - Ive got 2 classic and looking at more hyper-melanistic (increased black) soonish. Hopefully.
Get the whole spectrum ;) hypo - classic - hyper

Looking at Fer de Lance vids earlier and I found these... both call snakes 'poisonous', one lets things be (and names the snake gawjus), one doesnt.

I had 3 western Bearded Dragons about 3 years ago. Wanted to breed them and was told it was easy to do and can make some money off it but they didnt tell me I'd have to buy a box of crickets a day at $8 to feed the hungry little things! Then our heat globes kept blowing ($20 a pop), had to spray them with water all day (bit hard when at work) and when I had the cage inside the woodies were breeding behind the fake rock wall and escaping inot our living room every night, so decided to give them up. They were great to watch (we have a video somewhere of 2 of them playing tug of war with a praying mantis that we threw in, that was funny) but just too expensive to keep.
Wouldn't mind a little green tree frog or scorpion or something one day but not enough time to look after them and clean their cages. Had an albino axleotle once that was cool too. What is the weirdest pet you guys have had?

@Wildfire - Ive thought about lizards a few times (especially Central Netted Dragons), but the thought of tens of crickets chirping all night put me off! :lol:

A couple of pics I took on Monday - I wished I'd re-focused before taking the first pic... it would have been good.

ol251010.jpg

ol25-10-10a.jpg

cheers

Tooninoz

I like your flame tat. That is such a coincidence that you posted that today because we just had a tiger snake in the field at work today (I also work at a wholesale nursery). It's the first time I've seen a snake there in 2 yrs, have seen the big lizards (pyrentes?)there but not snakes. What type is yours? I don't mind them and happy to hold them but don't know much about the different types.

Wildfire, you must be south WA yeah? Tigers are my 'dream snake'. Only ever saw one once up the Sunshine Coast hinterland. Climate wise, they are so difficult to keep up here :cry:

The snake in the pics is a Bredli (Bredls Python Morelia spilota bredli) and its a 'hypo'. Reduced melanin (black)and the only snake I can keep here.

Wildfire, you must be south WA yeah? Tigers are my 'dream snake'. Only ever saw one once up the Sunshine Coast hinterland. Climate wise, they are so difficult to keep up here :cry:

The snake in the pics is a Bredli (Bredls Python Morelia spilota bredli) and its a 'hypo'. Reduced melanin (black)and the only snake I can keep here.

Well yeah South of the river Perth.
This one was about a year old my boss said, so there is probably a mum and dad out there as well!

The scariest snake I ever owned/worked with was the Fer-De-Lance. Those things rival any other "hot" out there IMO. That being said though, I have always loved the Naja's. My breeding pair of red spitters were my faves. But as a true reptile fan, I loved them all. Rhinos and Gabbies were the most stunning. I also have a book with a picture of an electric blue Eyelash Pit Viper. If I could've found one of those somehow I'd be breeding those. Either way.

The scariest snake I ever owned/worked with was the Fer-De-Lance. Those things rival any other "hot" out there IMO. That being said though, I have always loved the Naja's. My breeding pair of red spitters were my faves. But as a true reptile fan, I loved them all. Rhinos and Gabbies were the most stunning. I also have a book with a picture of an electric blue Eyelash Pit Viper. If I could've found one of those somehow I'd be breeding those. Either way.

an electric blue Eyelash Pit Viper - that sounds interesting! Can you upload the pic for us?

I grew up keeping snakes- red rat snakes mostly, we lived in the south. I've had turtles and lizards and toads. Just after I started keeping tarantulas I got my boys a king snake, but we had cats at the time and one of the cats spent a fair amount of time trying to get to the snake. my youngest was a great "cat wrangler" at the time, could chase down the cats and wrestle them out of the room so we could get out the snake. However, then he smelled like cat...which, I'm pretty sure, meant to the snake that he could be food....He said one day when the snake had crawled inside his shirt that the snake bit him. I thought he was mistaken but the one day while holding him the snake nuzzled his face like he did the (pre-killed) rats before he ate them- and then opened his Mouth, wide, at my son's cheek (since the snake was only four feet long, this wasnt wide enough to do any damage, but its the thought that counts). I traded him for some aquariums.

I have been bitten by cats and dogs and rodents and children and mosquitoes and horseflies and sweatbees, and stung by honeybees. In four years of keeping about twenty tarantulas I have been bitten one time, and it was far less painful than any of the others. I grew up in houses with brown recluses and have never been bitten- I have even "kept" them for a time. I like other peoples dogs and cats and reptiles, but I am far more comfortable with spiders than any other critter on the earth.

I used to breed corn snakes specifically Ghost Corns which are a combo of Hypomelanism and Type A Anerythrism so you get two recessive traits, they are really cool looking I still have an 8yr old female motley ghost corn, but got rid of the rest a few years back now I just grow ghost peppers lol

Is the colour really electric like how it is named?

No, it's a reptile book. Or just a snake book in general. I got it from a herpetologist in North Carolina. I went to pickup 6 cobras for my breeding and he wanted to get rid of the books. It's just a brilliant blue. So crazy. Can't imagine it's a very common color, but either way. Snakes can be so beautiful.

Mojo - that is one hot viper!

That blue seems to be fairly common it seems. Here is a 'blue-phase' Green Tree snake (very common here, but not the blue ones);

stafford052.jpg

...and while Photobucket is open...

A Beardie that takes up residence in my brothers yard each summer;

bd1d.jpg

Easiest rep to photograph - and they look prehistoric!

Back