• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Rhm3769's 2013 grow, posting pics

Starting my glog early although I'm getting a late start on the grow.... Moving pretty soon from Okinawa back to the States so I can't start until mid may at the earliest....

Looking at growing:
Bolivian Rainbow
Crimson Torpedo
Firecracker
Santa fe grande
Serrano
Peter pepper, red
Habanero, chocolate white tazmanian and golden
Scotch bonnet, red
Hot Jamaican
Jamaican mushroom, yellow
7 pot primo
Fatalli, yellow
Butch T
Atomic starfish
Bishop's crown
Okinawan hot pepper
Another okinawan variety
Rocoto
Purple flash

Plus I have some mystery mixes.... And I crossed a butch t with a scotch bonnet just for fun....

More than likely I'll be growing in containers again but I'll have more space than my balcony right now.... One maybe two plants per variety with more for a few of them....

I'll be able to section off a part of the yard for growing space to keep the kid out.... What's the easiest way to handle possibly 60 plants? Hoping to have at least a 9'x7.5' area.... Is that enough, too big, too small?

I didnt get anything done yesterday.... busy week.... waking up at 0230 and getting home at 1700, being out in tge sun all day, the last thing I want is to be actually working out in the sun and I'm in bed before the sun goes down.... maybe friday, if not saturday ill get some garden work done... a few of tge plants were starting to wilt when I got home yesterday, I'll try to stay up late eniugh to water them tonih t....

watered them last night. Gonna pull up the third tomato plant, its stunted, half the leaves are burnt and the rest are deformed.... hornworms won't even touch it.... I have at least 10 tomatoes each on the other two plants, flowers on this one are burned or drop.... some of the tomatoes lost the fuzzy appearance and are starting to get shiny....

Nothing else really new with the pepper plants.... lost one strawberry plant, its completely isolated from everything, so I doubt my issues were bacterial....

So we finished up really early today on the range.... had time to pull up the one tomato plant, the roots got thicker but that was about it.... they didnt grow out much from the potting soil they were originally in before the bed.... pruned the other two, took quite a few lower branches off, some were in the process of falling off on their own.... while doing that, I attracted attention.... I looked up and a hummingbird was watching me.... peppers are going fine.... still have.the spots on some of the leaves and stuff....

Plants from a seed mix from ajijoe
20130718_175405.jpg
20130718_175419.jpg

20130718_175447.jpg

Mystery super
20130718_175504.jpg

Purple flash from ajijoe (I think)
20130718_175516.jpg

20130714_004036.jpg

One of the mounds from my underground ninja.... hard to see but the filled-in hole is the darker spot on the left of the mound....

20130718_175811.jpg

Strange looking tomato....
20130718_175834.jpg

Gonna attempt a pequin bonchi.... got two more supers in solo cups.... I hoed too close to an aji limon yesterday after taking out the tomato plant, don't know how much damage I did....

Another early day.... everything has survived so far.... so my flying bug thing again, watched it land on a hormworm and the worm jumped and it flew away.... might have to do a seaweed extract feeding tonight just to jumpstart the aji limon I disturbed yesterday, its not dead, looks kike its going through transplant shock, but I'm pretty sure it did more root damage than a typical transplant.... have to come up with some kind of support system for the tomato plants and the bigger lower branches as they're starting tomatoes.... thinking of looping some twine around them and the support pole....

If it cools down some or the clouds come back, think I'm gonna spend some time working some vermiculite and potting soil (since it seems more like a mulch than soil) into the surface of the brick beds between the plants.... surprisingly, when I pulled up the tomato plant yesterday, the ground was pretty loose even though the surface looked like even was compacted.... and I was expecting some kind of a tunnel to be running through the root area of the tomato, but didnt find one....

Interestingly enough, as soon as I removed the tie to the support pole, it flopped over right above the surface....

Sawyer said:
Was the stem hollow where it flopped over?  That sounds like a tomato borer (stalk, not fruit).
Nope, its still solid, just bends easily there.... it was even solid eniugh to survive in pulling the plant out.... for whatever reason, it just ciuldnt support the weight of the plant...

So I'm planning on a lot of pictures tomorrow.... I wanting to investigate some leaves coming up around a plant and discovered I plantwd it deeper tha. I thought and it has been branching off the stem below the surface.... got somw qork to do with the tomatoes in an effort to use them as shade somewhat....

rhm3769 said:
Gonna attempt a pequin bonchi.... got two more supers in solo cups.... I hoed too close to an aji limon yesterday after taking out the tomato plant, don't know how much damage I did....
Awesome choice on the bonchi, was just reading about them this week and the pequin would be badass for it. I'm going to see which of my plants have the most woody trunks to do similar. Keep us updated onthat progress when u start it.

I'm going for the other method with seedlings twisted together.... don't think it'll work well with two seedlings and I doubt I got them twisted close enough together....

Took a video, no commentary.... covering all of mynplants and showing off some og my hornworms and underground ninja mounds and the wasp thats been flying ariund even stopped by....

Still waiting on the upload. ..

Might have to do a shorter one, it keeps failing on the last bit of it.... its about 11 min long....

Back