• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Rhm3769's 2013 grow, posting pics

Starting my glog early although I'm getting a late start on the grow.... Moving pretty soon from Okinawa back to the States so I can't start until mid may at the earliest....

Looking at growing:
Bolivian Rainbow
Crimson Torpedo
Firecracker
Santa fe grande
Serrano
Peter pepper, red
Habanero, chocolate white tazmanian and golden
Scotch bonnet, red
Hot Jamaican
Jamaican mushroom, yellow
7 pot primo
Fatalli, yellow
Butch T
Atomic starfish
Bishop's crown
Okinawan hot pepper
Another okinawan variety
Rocoto
Purple flash

Plus I have some mystery mixes.... And I crossed a butch t with a scotch bonnet just for fun....

More than likely I'll be growing in containers again but I'll have more space than my balcony right now.... One maybe two plants per variety with more for a few of them....

I'll be able to section off a part of the yard for growing space to keep the kid out.... What's the easiest way to handle possibly 60 plants? Hoping to have at least a 9'x7.5' area.... Is that enough, too big, too small?

Its possible, I guess.... but they're fine sitting in a cup with miracle gro pottung mix in the same place before going in ground.... since they're in smaller cups, they dry out faster and they're fine with that.... but as soon as they go in ground before getting true leaves, they dry up in morning sun....

ITs been a continual issue, don't remember if it was hot weeks ago when it first happened.... guess I gotta let them grow a bit first.... but then I end up letting them go too long and the roots get twisted up with the other seedlings....

Somehow the hot jamaican survived....

Should I be concerned my plants are only about 6" if that and are starting to develop buds?

Something broke my rocotto....
20130702_063504.jpg

Nope... w ill the stem keep growing?
In good news though, it looks like the pimenta de neyde might pull through.... depends on how hot it gets today, I guess.... shiuld be planting some more cgn habs and hot jamaicans, hopefully the butch t keeps going and ill be puttu bg dirt on some 7 pot primos and chocolate habs and another unknown super....
Cutworms? Guess that ceteroillar I saw last night and thought I killed either didnt die or theres more....

If it broke above the bottom most nodes yeah maybe...if it broke below where the cotylendons were...its a goner.

Its gone then.... ill be starting more of those seeds today.... probably one of the plants I was most looking forward to....

All but the planted seedlings without multiple true leaves got bamboo skewers on two sides.... the smaller ones only have one.... pimenta de neyde survived....

Pulled a hornworm off a tomato leaf and found a black caterpillar with white stripes down the sides on one of the pepper plants.... about an inch long, not sur e if its thw same one from last night, both went into my cup of blistering death....

Skipped my routine and went with a weak epsom salt foliar feed instead of the fish emulsion and a few days early....

Moved the pimenta de neyde into a solo cup to establish some roots as the gro mulch is pretty thick in the bed....

Staeted some new rocoto seeds and put in another cgn 21500 that was staeting to put out true leaves....

Pretty sure I have tomatoes growing.... petal part of a few flowers dropped.... so weird xompared to pepper flowers.... they had like a flower inside a fkower....

Got dirt on two unknown supers, the 7 pot primos and chocolate habs....

gotta look at the numbers, I know something is being counted twice or overlooked.... I have 20-23 and up to 6 extra spots for plants.... I have 12 varieties either already seedlings not planted or in the process of germinating.... among all of those, I have 28+ seeds/seedlings.... 20 are seedlings, 8+ are just seeds with only 8 more than likely germinating.... of those that are seedlings, there are still ungerminated seeds in the cups.... some won't mske it to planting and some won't survive 48 hours after planting....

Do I continue on and just plant everything as they're ready and accept empty spots or keep germung stuff until I run out of room?
Went ahead and threw more atomic starfish, bolivian rainbow, firecracker, crimson torpedo, bishops crown and golden hab seeds in for round 3 this year on these.... I'm iut of bolivian rainbiw seeds now so if they don't germ, ill be lookung for some in trade for next season....

So everything survived the night....

A lot of ants were on the bamboo skewers this morning, and one looked like something was chewing on the top....

Found another caterpillar and squished quite a few hornworm eggs.... finally got around to getting holes in my compost bin.... mostly cucumber skins, lettuce leaves, tomato leaves and dead grass.... not sure if it helps but ive been wetting the dead grass with the little leftover from the seaweed and fish emulsion feedings....

And not sure if it means anything but the lettuce cores ive put in are still growing leaves....

Since I got off from work far earlier than expected today, I spent most of the afternoon pulling weeds and grass.... for whatever reason, the ants start going crazy when I pull stuff close to the bricks.... found a few blades of grass they were all over, I almost want to say they were full of black aphids....

Yeah, I had issues with then last year in Okinawa.... just haven't seen them anywhere until I started growing and only on peppers....

Got a pequin seed sending out a tap root.... and fir the second time, a golden hab seed doing the sane within 24 hours of starting it without a presoak....

Would really love to know what they find so interes ting abiut the bricks....

So I did some early morning investigating and the ants were trailing from the side of the house through one of the beds over towarss the cinder blocks and bavk along the fence into the other bed.... had no choice but to use some bug spray....

If I remeber rigjt, its one of the chemicals the hiusing office uses and is food safe, but I only sprayed the iutside edge of the bricks, aling the trail and all the weeds surroundng that had ants on them...

Whatever got my rocoto got the fatali.... but the bamboo skewers saved it.... it couldn't access the stem very well, so it settled for taking off a few leaves....

Ants found the compost bin...

Nothing new.... been fighting ants trying to relocate into my yard, thinking the neighbor sprayed or something when he set up his backyard flower bed....

Fed everything diluted old coffee last night.... it hasnt been too warm or sunny, its both good and bad, the new seedlings arent getting cooked but they arent growing any either....

Played baseball last night with the moth that has been laying the hronworm eggs on the tomatoes....

Waiting to see how big these tomatoes getting, theyre about the size of a dime.... purple flash, santa fe grande and two plants from ajijoes mix are starting to branch, waiting on the buds to get bigger and open....

Sprayed everyrhing with an oil spray, saw too many random bugs around the beds today, and considering my deformed leaves are probably from mites, it seemed likr a good idea....
Ill br getting nrw pictures up of everything hopefully tomorrow....

Back