food Sandwich of the Month

I don't think any Cuban I've had has pulled pork, usually it's sliced pernil, not shredded. Now, usually it's so tender the slices break into chunks. Maybe that's NY Cubans but I do like it this way. I don't want it shredded like BBQ pulled pork.

No salami and no shreds either ... you are on-point in my book ...

I had a very nice version at the Don Shula down in MIA where they use a pretzel roll and cure 81 ham ... was killer.

I can see where you're goin. Better texture in slices than shredded mush. Wouldn't be hard to section a piece out before shredding just for the sammie.

Gonna try that next time

This is a great thread. I'd eat everything we've seen thus far!
Can't wait for next month!

Let's see more Cubans!!!!

FD and Sum know the Miami style. I can't remember what they were like down there except one place in CenFlo where it was also sliced pernil and very good.

FD and Sum know the Miami style. I can't remember what they were like down there

We see it both ways. Most places use thinly sliced ham, though I've seen spiral ham used too.
The pork varies from thin sliced, like youre mentioning, to chopped or shredded.

Usually I've seen the pork chopped or shredded at places that make their own pork, which is a bonus.
If its just sliced and thin, it comes from somewhere else.

My personal preference on the pork looks like how sum and I did it (and scovie and cj).
But every interpretation has merit, and looks awesome and delicious!!!

My Sammy was so friggin tasty, Im gonna make another.

That's how I feel too FD! That pork was so damn good I can't keep my fingers out of it! Totally blew my mind!

I go back and forth on if I liked the Raclette cheese tho. Very pungent - I usually love stinky cheese, but this one threw me for a loop.
But the flavor was excellent! Much more mellow...and it gets an A+ for melty factor!

But next time I'll try standard swiss, or Emmentaler. And there WILL be a "next time"!!!!!!

The pork varies from thin sliced, like youre mentioning, to chopped or shredded.

Usually I've seen the pork chopped or shredded at places that make their own pork, which is a bonus.

I see. Well not here usually the pernil is on the counter as they serve it as a dish too with sides, like boiled yuca and onions. So when you order a Cuban they slice some off which usually falls apart. That's how I like. :)

Oh man, I just had a leftover half nuked in the nuker.

Damm that is one hellofa tasty sammich. I really recomend the Pure Evil drops in Mustard.
That's the beauty of it. No changing flavors, but a nice heat. mmmmmmmm.
The pork, honestly we thought was supposed to be shredded, and the ham thick.
We opted for the sliced/chuncked style thinking it would be juicier and stay together a little better,
because I wanted two layers of it on there.
A word about the cheese we used, Raclette, I don't know if you've ever had it, but it smelled like, um...
well... Pretty bad. It was awesome for flavor tho, just like I thought, like a mellow Swiss.

Hahaha FD If we start a compound, we'd need a ketchy hippy name for it
like Talking Circle, Bended Tree or Double Downs.

We see it both ways. Most places use thinly sliced ham, though I've seen spiral ham used too.

My personal preference on the pork looks like how sum and I did it (and scovie and cj).
But every interpretation has merit, and looks awesome and delicious!!!

My Sammy was so friggin tasty, Im gonna make another.

I might have gotten a little carried away with the fork pulling and pulled it too thin. Usually it comes in larger chunks, but still pulled or chopped. I think I just got lost in the fun of being able to fork pull a 3+ pound of Boston Butt after an hour and a half. The merits of the pressure cooker. And that pork was juicy awesomeness. The ham can be thin cut or thick cut. Usually it's piled thin cut deli ham like what FD used, but I prefer the thick cut slabs of ham. But at this point it's just a matter of texture, not flavor. It will all, basically, taste the same.

Werds to a good new thread.

...Hahaha FD If we start a compound, we'd need a ketchy hippy name for it
like Talking Circle, Bended Tree or Double Downs.

The compound is named "Under the Chickee"

Y'all do THP proud.

190 posts about a single sandwich.

Both the true to form/authentic and freestyle Cubans were equally awesome.

Still 2 more weeks to post up more Cubans.

For those sitting on the fence, postem' up!

I say more freestyles from this point. SoFlo gave out the typical Cuban sandwiches so we could all get critical and let everyone know what a real Cuban sandwich is. Now I say play on and have fun.

I say more freestyles from this point. SoFlo gave out the typical Cuban sandwiches so we could all get critical and let everyone know what a real Cuban sandwich is. Now I say play on and have fun.
thank you so much for a little idiot like me know what a "real" cuban is. thank ya boss oooh thank ya,please please boss ooohhhh thank ya

Good idea Sum, i was actually thinking today at work "to bad this is all over now, i lit all my sparklers this weekend"...
Fact is, we didn't get enough of that awesomeness. And this ain't a competition, so why not?
I'm just itching to use our new smoker again, so why not try it with a smoked butt roast?
Or on a french baggette? (for us). There WILL be Pure Evil mustard tho... No matter what.

Freestyle, I like it!

Y'all are all ready to get down brown for another go round of Cubano's.

Freestylin'.

Still haven't seen THP's Cuban.

Booooooooooooo.

THP... go buy your perfect Cuban and take a picture of it!

I think I have an idea for next month's sandwich. Philly Cheese Steaks.

Went back and patched the holes in the beef sammy from the other night's DC post and since there's no OH tonight, I just thought I'd share the revision because it was pretty rockin' and I need to make up for that lame-ass turkey on rye I posted the other night while under the influence ...

Got the shrooms in there this time, and mixed the cheese in the pot ...

Pasteurized top sirloin w/ ghost pepper seasoning via sous vide at 131F for 3 hrs ...

c25adff2.jpg

Mini-bells, sliced shrooms, chopped onion, a green finger hot pepper, and a little olive oil ...

bda6c2d1.jpg

Stir in the beef slices and some of that white american faux cheese (might use provolone and some Worcestershire next time, but wasn't up for making a roux tonight) ...

7e12d2f4.jpg

And serve it on the sickest buns (practically loaves themselves) ...

b4b2f47f.jpg

Damn good ... so full now.

I've yet to make a Philly Cheesesteak. Or taste one for that matter.

Let's do it!!!

I'm going another Cuban sometime this week. Slight change in how it's assembled but true to ingreds.

Back